4.2 Patch Notes
May 18, 2011
Updated 02/06/11 – from www.worldofwarcraft.com
- All healing critical strikes now heal for 2 times a normal heal (+100%), up from 1.5 times a normal heal (+50%).
- All class abilities which place a buff on friendly targets no longer generate any threat. This goes for raid-wide buffs like Mark of the Wild and Power Word: Fortitude, as well as triggered effects such as Blessed Resilience or Fingers of Frost, and single-target buffs like Dark Intent and Hysteria. The exception is buffs which directly cause healing or damage, such as Thorns or Renew. Abilities such as these still generate normal threat.
- Crowd Control
- Many crowd control abilities no longer cause creatures to attack players when they are cast. The creature will not attack the player when the crowd control wears off, and nearby creatures will not become hostile to the player either. However, if a visible player gets too close to the target creature, the creature will remember and attack the player when the crowd control effect wears off. The intent is to make it easier for dungeon groups to manage crowd control assignments and pulling packs of hostile NPCs. The abilities affected by this change are: Hibernate, Entangling Roots, Wyvern Sting (will still cause hostility when it begins to deal damage), Freezing Trap, Polymorph, Repentance, Shackle Undead, Blind, Hex, Bind Elemental, Banish, Seduction.
- The Aggressive pet stance has been removed and replaced with the Assist stance. This stance will cause the player’s pet to attack the player’s target. The pet will not change targets unless the master attacks a new target for a few seconds.
- Spell Interrupts
- When interrupted while casting a single-school spell such as Mind Flay or Frostbolt, players will now be able to cast dual-school spells such as Mind Spike (Frost and Shadow schools) or Frostfire Bolt (Frost and Fire schools). However, being interrupted while casting a dual-school spell will still interrupt all respective schools as intended.
I like the pet change especially, it will make it easier to manage pets and generally be more convenient in general for playing as a pet class.
Also, I really feel as though they approached the interrupt problem very well here with a slight buff to those who get interrupted and could possibly allow classes like Shadowpriests to play less CC-Orientated comps. Interrupts generally are too good right now since with Cataclysm pretty much every DPS class has an interrupt which is really favouring melee heavy comps.
- Obliterate base damage has been reduced to 150% weapon damage, down from 160%.
- Talent Specializations
- Annihilation now increases Obliterate damage by 12/24/36%, down from 15/30/45%.
- Hungering Cold now has a 1.5-second cast time.
- Unholy Might now increases Strength by 10%, up from 5%.
- Glyph of Dark Succor has been redesigned. Rather than placing a 15% maximum health floor on Death Strike healing while in Frost or Unholy Presence, it causes the next Death Strike within 15 seconds after killing a foe that yields experience or Honor Points to heal for at least 20% of the death knight’s maximum health.
Good changes here to frost, the hungering cold nerf is totally needed along with the general frost nerfs. I think DKs may be going back to Unholy in 4.2.
- Druids now gain 1 attack power per point of Strength, down from 2. They continue to gain 2 attack power per point of Agility while in Cat Form or Bear Form.
- Entangling Roots and the equivalent spell triggered by Nature’s Grasp no longer deal damage.
- Ferocious Bite damage has been increased by 15%. In addition, its base cost has been reduced to 25 energy and it can use up to 25 energy, for up to a 100% damage increase.
- Innervate now grants an ally target 5% of his or her maximum mana over 10 seconds, but still grants 20% of the druid’s maximum mana over 10 seconds when self-cast.
- Mangle (Cat) damage at level 80 and above has been increased to 530% weapon damage, up from 460%.
- Omen of Clarity clearcasting buff from now lasts 15 seconds, up from 8 seconds.
- Ravage damage at level 80 and above has been increased to 975% weapon damage, up from 850%.
- Shred damage at level 80 and above has been increased to 520% weapon damage, up from 450%.
- Swipe (Cat) now deals 600% weapon damage at level 80 or higher, down from 670%.
- Talent Specializations
- Earth and Moon’s duration has been increased to 15 seconds, up from 12.
- Fungal Growth spell visual effect has been updated to be less visually intrusive and more aesthetic.
- Lunar Shower has been redesigned. When casting Moonfire, the druid gains Lunar Shower. Lunar Shower increases the direct damage done by Moonfire by 15/30/45%, and reduces the mana cost by 10/20/30%. This effect stacks up to 3 times and lasts 3 seconds. While under the effects of Lunar Shower, Moonfire generates 8 Solar Energy, and Sunfire generates 8 Lunar Energy. The amount of Lunar/Solar Energy gained does not change based on the number of points spent in the talent, or stacks of Lunar Shower. Those druids who wish to delay transition in or out of an Eclipse state should now cast the one of their two basic attacks which will not move the Eclipse bar (either Starfire or Wrath).
- Solar Beam has a new spell effect.
- Wild Mushroom: Detonate can now also trigger Earth and Moon, in addition to Starfire and Wrath.
- Bear damage abilities were scaling too fast with higher gear levels compared to other tanks, so the following balance changes have been made. All the numbers cited are for level 85 characters; numbers will be lower for lower-level characters.
- Faerie Fire (Feral) base damage has been raised to 2950, up from 679. Attack power scaling has been decreased to 10.8%, down from 15%.
- Maul base damage has been raised to 35, up from 8. Attack power scaling has been decreased to 19%, down from 26.4%.
- Pulverize weapon damage percent has been decreased to 60%, down from 80%. Damage per Lacerate application has been increased to 1623, up from 361.
- Mangle (Bear) weapon damage percent has been decreased to 190%, down from 260%. Bonus damage has been increased to 3306, down from 754.
- Swipe base damage has been increased to 929, up from 215. Attack power scaling has been decreased to 12.3%, down from 17.1%.
- Thrash initial base damage has been increased to 1464, up from 339. Initial damage attack power scaling has been decreased to 13.8%, down from 19.2%. Periodic base damage has been increased to 816, up from 189. Periodic damage attack power scaling has been decreased to 2.35%, down from 3.26%.
- Lacerate initial base damage has been increased to 3608, up from 2089. Initial damage attack power scaling has been decreased to 5.52%, down from 7.66%. Periodic base damage has been increased to 69, up from 16. Periodic damage attack power scaling has been decreased to 0.369%, down from 0.512%.
- Natural Reaction damage reduction has been increased to 9/18%, up from 6/12%.
- Symbiosis (Mastery) has been removed and replaced with Harmony. Harmony increases direct healing by an additional 10%, and casting direct healing spells grants an additional 10% bonus to periodic healing for 10 seconds. Each point of mastery increases each bonus by an additional 1.25%. Healing Touch, Nourish, Swiftmend, and the initial heal from Regrowth are considered direct healing spells for the purposes of this Mastery. All other healing from druid spells is considered periodic.
- Glyph of Berserk duration increase is now 10 seconds, up from 5.
- Glyph of Ferocious Bite has been redesigned. It now causes Ferocious Bite to heal the caster for 1% of maximum health for each 10 energy used.
- Glyph of Innervate now causes the druid to gain 10% of his or her maximum mana over 10 seconds when Innervate is used on a friendly target, in addition to Innervate’s base effect.
Wow, it’s super disappointing to read this. I feel as though every patch they over-buff classes to a stupid amount for PvE reasons(?) Completely forgetting about the PvP community.
This is really frustrating and I’m sure there’s going to be a huge surge of facerolling ferals in 4.2, I think that feral druids have a good place in PvP at the moment – the only problem I see for them is how vulnerable they are to fear since the [Berserk] nerf, I really think that [Berserk] should remove a [Fear] effect with no immunity granted.
The Shape-Shifting nerf was absolutely needed with the introduction of every healer having a [Dispel Magic] effect and it actually put ferals in a fairly balanced position regarding arena, if they want to over-buff their damage in such a way then at least nerf [Predator's Swiftness] so they can at least cleave without infinite CC…
- Multi-shot damage has been reduced. It now deals 120% weapon damage at level 80 or higher, down from 137%.
- Traps now scale with hunter stats such as hit, expertise, spell penetration and attack power as intended.
- Intervene (Pet Tenacity) has been redesigned. The pet runs at high speed toward a group member, reducing the damage done by the next melee or ranged attack made against them equal to 50% of the pet’s total health.
The intervene change is pretty cool, will definitely increase the skill capacity for hunters.
- Pyroblast: The version of this spell cast when Hot Streak is not active did slightly less damage than the Hot Streak version. Its damage has been increased so that both versions of Pyroblast now do the same amount of damage.
- Spellsteal mana cost has been increased 100%
- Talent Specializations
- Impact: When Living Bomb is spread via this talent, it will only be spread to two additional targets. The net effect is that if the Mage’s most recent Living Bomb target is the same as their Impact target, that target will no longer lose the Living Bomb effect. If Living Bomb is active on multiple targets when the Impact effect is cast, Living Bomb will remain active on the most recent Living Bomb target, and will be added to two other nearby targets.
- Deep Freeze and Ring of Frost will now cause diminishing returns for each other.
This is a lot better than the original change we saw. The Deep Freeze / RoF DR won’t hurt us half as much as RoF actually having a cast-time, however it is still less control overall and I think deep -> poly healer and a RoF on the enemy team will be much more favourable when possible. The overall CC duration of Deep -> RoF is/was over the top considering it’s two instant casts.
The Spellsteal change is also great considering the original change we were seeing, It’ll definitely make you think a lot more about stealing and keep it super viable for arenas.
- Divine Light mana cost has been increased to 35% of base mana, up from 30%.
- Flash of Light mana cost has been increased to 31% of base mana, up from 27%.
- Holy Light mana cost has been increased to 12% of base mana, up from 10%.
- Rebuke, Divine Shield and Divine Protection have new icons.
- Seal of Righteousness now can be activated by any melee ability, not just single target melee abilities. This adds Hammer of the Righteous (the physical component) and Divine Storm to the list of abilities that can activate this seal. In addition, Seal of Righteousness procs can now be critical effects.
- Talent Specializations
- Beacon of Light can no longer be dispelled. In addition, it now transfers 100% of the heal from Holy Light, but still 50% of the heal from other spells.
- Denounce has been redesigned. It still reduces the mana cost of Exorcism. However, it no longer has a chance on Holy Shock of making Exorcism free and instant. Instead, it has a 50/100% chance to prevent the Exorcism target from causing critical effects for the next 6 seconds. This effect can be dispelled.
- Holy Shock mana cost has been decreased to 7% of base mana, down from 8%.
- Infusion of Light can now lower the cast time of Flash of Light by 0.75/1.5 seconds, in addition to Holy Light and Divine Light. In addition, the old Denounce spell overlay effect has been transferred to Infusion of Light since Denounce is no longer a proc.
- Speed of Light now increases movement speed when Holy Radiance or Divine Protection are cast. In addition, this talent now reduces the cooldown of Holy Radiance by 13/26/40 seconds, up from 10/20/30.
- Walk in the Light now improves Word of Glory healing by 30%, in addition to its current effects.
- Ardent Defender has a new spell effect.
- Guarded By The Light no longer interacts with Holy Shield in any way.
- Guardian of Ancient Kings uses the new Assist pet stance functionality.
- Hammer of the Righteous mana cost has been lowered to 10%, down from 12% to match Crusader Strike.
- Holy Shield has been redesigned. This talent is now an activated ability off the global cooldown. It grants 20% increased block amount to a paladin’s shield blocks for 10 seconds, with a 30-second cooldown.
- Judgements of the Wise now procs on attempt rather than on strike, which means judgements that miss can still grant mana. This is to help ensure Protection paladins are not starved for mana if they aren’t capped on hit rating.
- The Seals of Command talent now makes Seal of Righteousness hit an unlimited number of melee targets, instead of only 2 additional targets.
- Selfless Healer can no longer be dispelled and cannot be stolen via Spellsteal; and, in addition to its current effects, it lowers the cooldown of Word of Glory by 5/10 seconds.
- Glyph of Seal of Truth expertise bonus now also works when Seal of Righteousness is active.
This is what Paladins have been waiting for, I’m going to call it right now and say that Paladins will once again be super viable in arena.
- Devouring Plague damage done has been decreased by 12%.
- Mind Blast damage done has been increased by 12%.
- Shadow Word: Death damage done has been increased by 12%.
- Shadow Word: Pain damage done has been decreased by 12%.
- Talent Specializations
- Mind Flay damage done has been increased by 12%.
- Vampiric Touch damage done has been decreased by 12%.
- Priest Bug Fixes
- Players will no longer prematurely cancel a channeled spell when clicking on the Lightwell.
I think the Shadow changes are pretty interesting, it’s in place to lower their damage over time and increase their burst pressure. This will definitely make comps like Shatterplay even more popular.
Just a bug fix so far regarding healing, I’m really hoping for a mana return buff. They really need to tweak the way [Shadowfiend] works for sure, it’s way too easily CC’d and with their stealth 50% damage nerf in 4.1 we’re now the only healer without a reliable way to get mana back (besides maybe [Rapture] – if that counts?)
- loak of Shadows cooldown is now 2 minutes, up from 90 seconds. In addition, Cloak of Shadows is no longer on the global cooldown.
- Combat Readiness and Cloak of Shadows now share a cooldown.
- Blind duration against enemy NPCs is now 1 minute, while the duration against players remains 8 seconds.
- Stealth now once again begins its cooldown once the rogue leaves Stealth.
- Talent Specializations
- Assassin’s Resolve damage bonus has been increased to 20%, up from 15%.
- Vile Poisons now increases poison damage by 12/24/36%, up from 7/14/20%.
- Savage Combat now increases attack power by 3/6%, up from 2/4%.
- Vitality now increases attack power by 30%, up from 25%.
- Elusiveness now reduces the cooldown of Cloak of Shadows by 15/30 seconds, up from 10/20, and now also reduces the cooldown of Combat Readiness by 15/30 seconds.
- Sanguinary Vein damage to bleeding targets has been increased to 8/16%, from 5/10%.
Huge defensive nerfs to rogue, it’s pretty obvious that they went overboard with this. I feel as if rogues defensive CDs are a little too good right now, but these nerfs are just complete overkill and I really hope all of them don’t make it to live.
- Lightning Shield and Water Shield can no longer be dispelled.
- Unleash Elements is now in the Nature school, and thus can no longer be used if a shaman’s Nature school has been locked out.
- Water Shield has had its internal cooldown reduced to 3.5 seconds, once again matching other shields. The amount of mana restored when Water Shield procs has been reduced by 50%.
- Talent Specializations
- Lava Flows now grants a 30/60/90% haste buff when a Flame Shock effect is dispelled, up from 10/20/30%.
- Thunderstorm now reduces the movement speed of players it knocks back by 40% for 5 seconds.
- Improved Water Shield has been redesigned and renamed Resurgence. When Water Shield is active, Resurgence causes critical direct heals to restore mana (Resurgence rank 2 is roughly equal to 150% of the old Improved Water Shield value when a Healing Wave or Greater Healing Wave critically hits, and scaled down accordingly for faster or multi-target spells).
- Mana Tide now grants 200% of the caster’s Spirit, down from 400%.
- Glyph of Unleashed Lightning (new Prime glyph) allows Lightning Bolt to be cast while moving.
I’m super interested to see how the [Water Shield] change plays out. Even though it’s a crit proc mana return – I actually think it’s more reliable than getting mana back via [Water Shield] in a lot of situations. The [Mana Tide]nerf is pretty big, but welcome I think.
It’s amazing that they do some pretty big nerfs to shaman every patch but they’re still the strongest healer – says a lot about their 4.0.3 state really.
- Soul Harvest has a new spell effect.
- Warlock Bug Fixes
- It is no longer possible to leave combat while channeling Drain Soul.
Awesome new spell effect inc?
- Overpower now has a 1.5-second cooldown and global cooldown (Taste for Blood’s Overpower cooldown has not changed).
- Retaliation, Recklessness and Shield Wall no longer have stance requirements.
The [Overpower] change is pretty good, hopefully warriors will be a little less bursty. The stance change seems like they’re eliminating the unique mechanics of warrior, but I guess it’s a good trade off for more convenience.