+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Illused is an unknown quantity at this point

4.2 Conquest Points- Huge Nerf to Arena?

"Conquest Points

The minimum cap on Conquest Points earned per week is now 1500 at 1500 or less Battleground rating. The maximum cap remains 3000 at 3000 or more Battleground rating. The cap continues to scale non-linearly between those two points.

The game now separately tracks different Conquest Point caps for Battlegrounds and Arenas. The cap for Arena rating will always be 2/3 of the cap for Battleground rating at any given Arena rating. Players may earn a total number of Conquest Points per week equal to the higher of these two caps, but once players have reached the cap for either Arenas or Battlegrounds, they can no longer earn Conquest Points from that source. Conquest Points from Battleground holidays only count toward the total Conquest Point cap."

For example, if you have an arena and rBG rating of 2000, you may have a theoretical conquest point cap from your rBG rank of say, 2400 points. Your arena cap would only be 1600 points/week (2/3 of the equivalent rBG rank cap).

So, if you jump in 2v2 and get to 1600 points that week. You are capped and have to get the remainder of your points from rBG.

So, basically, unless you play arena at 2000+ rating, you aren't geting any more points a week than someone playing at 600 rating. Go, go rated BGs????

Am I interpreting this right?
    Slighted on Dark Iron.

Supression
    I don't think you are. The way I see it is that you get 1\3 more points for your rating each week from rated BGs compared to your arena rating. prolly to tempt more people to start doing RBGs.

Procedural is on a distinguished road
    I don't know, man. I HOPE that it's not the way I think it is. The way it reads, at 1500 rating (for both), rBGs would give a max CP cap of 1500, but arenas would only give 1000. That would really suck.

I'd hope they both start at 1500, and then diverge from there. For instance, 1700 rBG rating would give 1800, and 1700 arena rating would give 1700 as a cap (2/3 of the bonus above 1500 that rBG rating grants). But it doesn't sound like that's the case...

Leetsaws is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Leetsaws View Post
    Blizzard explained it very poorly. I'm waiting for a clarification before making any assumptions, personally.

mrwibble is on a distinguished road
    I was thinking that they understand it's easier to get a higher rating in RBGs so your points cap for RBGs will be the equivalent of a lower arena rating.

So, a 2000 arena rating == 3000 RBG rating. And the points cap will be 2400 for both.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
    I was thinking that they understand it's easier to get a higher rating in RBGs so your points cap for RBGs will be the equivalent of a lower arena rating.

So, a 2000 arena rating == 3000 RBG rating. And the points cap will be 2400 for both.

Nope.

"The maximum cap remains 3000 at 3000 or more Battleground rating."

I think Leetsaws pretty much summed up all our feelings and thoughts on the matter.

EDIT:
    While it's not a "clarification", it's something else to read. From Zarhym:

"So, as many of you are interpreting this change, it is to encourage more participation in Rated Battlegrounds. We see the fact that participating in Arenas is by far the superior way of obtaining top-notch PvP gear, in terms of time investment, as a problem. If you want to maximize your Conquest Point gains in patch 4.2, you'll need to participate at least a little bit in Rated Battlegrounds.

We know this may not sound very appealing to those of you who have grown accustomed to spending as little as an hour a week getting the top PvP currency in the game via Arenas over the last couple of expansions. To put things in perspective though, the total number of items that can be purchased with Conquest Points today is much larger than what you used to be able to buy with Arena Points pre-Deathwing world explosion. And there is no longer a requirement to “grind” unrated BGs for Honor each season, so the real time investment isn't changing as much as some players are perceiving it to be.

On top of that, the frank reality is that the total time investment required in season 9 to get all your points has been much, much too low, as you could do that from a few 2v2 Arena games each week completed in less than an hour’s time. It shows that Rated Battlegrounds are currently sub-par in terms of the rate at which points can be accumulated.

We do feel this change is necessary to keep the time investment vs. high-quality item accumulation in check, even if it doesn't read well on paper. However, as always, your constructive feedback is welcomed. "

So he makes a good point or two, mainly "the frank reality is that the total time investment required in season 9... has been much, much too low..." Which makes sense from an MMO, "the gear is the goal" standpoint. But as Amkar (some shaman) points out, "This misses the mentality of PvP..." Most PvPers essentially want a permanent tourney realm. Get us in, give us all equal gear with some room for customization, and let us compete. The majority of us do not want to play for countless hours simply to obtain the gear we'd need to compete at the highest levels.
    Last edited by Procedural; 05-13-2011 at 06:04 PM.

KNR is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Procedural View Post
    "This misses the mentality of PvP..." Most PvPers essentially want a permanent tourney realm. Get us in, give us all equal gear with some room for customization, and let us compete. The majority of us do not want to play for countless hours simply to obtain the gear we'd need to compete at the highest levels.
    I would love this. I've actually been talking to some IRL friends that used to play about it. It makes perfect sense, to me, to have a realm like this. Who the hell cares how much time you're investing to get the sets? We're not pvp'ing to get the gear, that's just something we have to have. We're doing it because we think it's fun and that's what we enjoy spending out time doing. I know a lot of people think that the gear is supposed to prove how skilled you are. I was thinking of another alternative that would still give the best players that satisfaction. Similar to how they do now with the "T2" sets where it's a visual change when you reach a certain rating, only more dramatic. Everyone has an equal level of gear. Gems, enchants, reforging, etc. can be customized to whatever the player desires. The first set is kinda bleh, like how the crafted sets or bloodthirsty look. As you rise in rating, you can trade in the current set for the next one, which will be more badass. The top rated teams/players will have the coolest shit, like Warlock S2 type goodness(mmmmmm). Cooler weapons to, not just color changes and whatnot. Titles/achieves go along with that as well. Now you can separate the good from the bad and everywhere in between. Sup?

Yeah, that'd work. Have different sets at different rating tiers. Like I said on the WoW forums, getting full vicious isn't the end goal of pvp, it's when you can finally begin competing.

KNR is on a distinguished road
    I just think it would be so much better for everyone that pvp's to have a realm like that. Where you're not restricted by lack of people, faction, etc. Where you don't have to invest tons of time in gearing/leveling up. People don't pvp to see content. If that's what you want, you still have a home server with all those toons you spent all that time leveling/gearing up.

mrwibble is on a distinguished road
    Updated PTR Notes :

The game now separately tracks different Conquest Point caps for Battlegrounds and Arenas. The cap for Arena rating will always be 2/3 of the cap for Rated Battleground rating at any given Arena rating. Players may earn a total number of Conquest Points per week equal to the higher of these two caps, but once players have reached the cap for either Arenas or Battlegrounds, they can no longer earn Conquest Points from that source. Conquest Points from Battleground holidays only count toward the total Conquest Point cap.
    Example: During the first week of Season 10 everyone starts with a rating below 1500. Therefore, the cap from Rated Battlegrounds will be 1500 and the cap from Arena rating will be 1000. In the first week, the character wins enough Arena matches to reach the 1000 point cap. After that point, Arena wins will no longer grant Conquest points for the week. However, the character can still earn up to 500 additional points, but can only earn those points from either Rated Battlegrounds, or from the Conquest Point bonus for holiday and/or daily random Battlegrounds. The following week the cap will be recalculated based on the character's ratings, and it is possible Arena rating could now generate the higher cap. The second week, the character's cap from Arena rating is 1600, and the cap from Rated Battlegrounds is 1500. The character has a total cap of 1600 Conquest points for the week. Up to 1500 points can be earned from Rated Battlegrounds, but the last 100 must come from a different source.

So we only need to do RBGs to get the extra 500pts in the first week. Phew.