+ Reply to Thread

nfactorial is on a distinguished road

Souldburn usage

Hiya,
    I'm just about to finish gearing my old warlock, which I haven't played since wotlk. Just reached 3.8k resi, 6.6k spell power without felarmor. As I really haven't kept upto date with warlock, I've just been farming battlegrounds for the 271 honor gear (just legs left to get). But I've found my gameplay is definitely "wotlk" in age. Certain abilities I think I noticeably underuse are soulburn and fel flame.

It seems for the most part I am rarely using fel flame (if at all) and soulburn I'm using exclusively for use with healthstone. Some dueling movies I've watched, have soulburn used more for teleport.

I'm just curious on when I should be looking to use these spells and what are the ways these are generally used. That's a pretty open question, and I've only played my lock in bg over the last two weeks. Just looking for information as I'll probably try arena this weekend.

Thanks.

KNR is on a distinguished road
    Well, you'll want to use fel flame a lot to keep from having to hard cast UA once it's up. With all the interrupts flying around now, casting less is ideal. Soulburn is completely situational. If you get in trouble and your healer gets put in cc, you may need to burn a healthstone for the battlemaster effect to buy some time. You may need to burn the port, if a team is dead set on training you, so you can quickly get distance while their cd's are running. You can burn a fel hunter if you're close to a kill and need a second spell lock, or if your pet happens to die. Just depends on what's going on at that time.

Yea, I'm pretty much just used to hardcasting UA. Might be different in arena but I rarely get cs'd (on school) in battlegrounds and if I think i might, I just fake cast. I'll try using fel flame more often though tonight.

I understand when I might need to soulburn (just noticed typo in thread topic), it's just that I'm not really needing to soulburn for anything other than healthstone at the moment and that suggests to me I'm missing something with cata playstyle.

I'm almost done gearing and just starting to look at my play, certainly I still play much like my lock were still in wotlk (as I've not really played it since then). It works, to a point, but means there's a lot of room for improvement. Guess I might try and record a movie or something, as it's fairly hard to give help with such an open ended question.

Cheers for the info.
    Last edited by nfactorial; 07-29-2011 at 03:12 PM.

KNR is on a distinguished road
    It's very different in arena because you're 1 of 3 people, not 1 of 10, 15, etc. Your objective is also different. Fel flame, along with soulswap, keeps you mobile. Would you rather fel flame that warrior to keep UA up or stop and try to hard cast it while he's pounding your face in? Would you rather fel flame a mage to keep it up or try to hard cast and risk a shadow lock-out or waste time having to juke and still get 4 second silenced(all mages will have imp CS)? That's pretty much the gist of it.

Yeah, I get ya. I'm just taking a (long) time to get used to using it.

Used soulburn teleport a little in earlier battlegrounds, but it's all a bit random atm. Going to take a bit of practice before it becomes ingrained in my play I think.