+ Reply to Thread

runninghealz is on a distinguished road

Dealing With Cleave Comps

Hi warlocks.

I'm running affliction warlock - unholy DK - resto shaman, and we're having problems dealing with melee cleave teams, specifically DK/Warrior, DK/Ret, Warrior/Ret, etc.

The main problem I feel like we're having is that I cannot get my fears to stick, and without my fears I'm unable to control the match as much as I'd like to. Are there other tools that a warlock has to peel melee off of himself and his team-mates, or do I just need to be patient and wait for a gap between/after cooldowns to get a good fear down?

Other general tips against melee-heavy teams would be helpful as well - there's a bit of an absence of melee team videos in the lock section.

Thanks.

Filovirus is an unknown quantity at this point
    You won't be able to rely on Fears as a main peel against cleave teams. You need to kite with shadowflame/desecrate/chains on the melee, and have really good ports. Against non-dk teams I like to port as soon as the melee class uses their gap-closer on me. Ex: warrior charges, port ---> get full dots on 2+ people.

You just need to coordinate your casting and movement with your partners peels/slows.
    Private Lessons Available!
    Skype Contact Info: virusl0l (with a zero)

fate is on a distinguished road
    Any advice for RLS. It just seems that we are peeling so hard for our shaman that I can barely get dots up, and even when I do thier healer isnt pressured at all and can spam eat whatever I put up.

Slapdance is on a distinguished road
    I seem to have huge problems peeling some melee cleaves off my resto druid in 3s (running MLD). Seems alright against TSGs and even kitty cleaves to a certain extent, but last night we were 20 rating off from 2.2k (alt team) and then we ran into some 2400 rogue/dk/rdruid comp 5 games in a row.

They'd just force a healer trinket with insane initial pressure + sap into blind (or vice versa if they don't get initial sap) then swap to resto druid and kill him with cloak of shadows and AMS up, 100-0 in literally ~5 seconds. Game went basically the same way every time, not sure how to properly peel or prevent it. I basically get NS cloned as they swap to the druid in a prep'd smokebomb and he dies while both their melee are completely immune to all of our CC D:

Halp!

BBKing is on a distinguished road
    My team ( DK - Warlock - RShaman ) currently has a LOT of trouble with TSG as well.

We try to let our shaman mount as long as possible forcing them to go onto my DK pretty much, but as soon as he has to heal, things go down hill really fast.

Our shaman healer gets deathgripped, thennuked to death while the DK pop AMS/Lichborn making me unable to fear and my first shadowflame gets freedom-ed, the warrior being nearly unstoppable the first 10 seconds ( charge/ heroic leap ). I tell our shaman to save trinket for throwdown as they tend to do strangulate followed by throwdown ( shaman cant use spirit link while stunned ) , but when its up and we are forced to clump up the pain starts with warrior popping reck and / or bladestorm leaving the whole party around 50%.

I try getting an UA + fear on the DK , but the paladin dispels it and just eats the silence as their team is not in danger of dieing anyway. If the shaman isnt dead when bladestorm ends, I can use howl of terror and we have a small breath. A very small one, as all of us are around 50% or so from the spirit link, the TSG can switch to any target if they cant reach the target to force the shaman to come back at which he gets creamed or if he doesnt, my dk usually dies even through blood prsence Icebound,

We are only at 1800-1900 rating as it is so I know our play isnt perfect, still looking for hints tips and tricks to help us getting over the initial burst phase of this team ( beyond recklessness basicly ). If the TSG just doesnt pressure use enough and we can get topped off things are looking a lot brighter with dots on both and a paladin having perma CoT up being windshocked / hexed or feared. The problem for us is surviving long enough to make this happen.

Filovirus is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by fate View Post
    Any advice for RLS. It just seems that we are peeling so hard for our shaman that I can barely get dots up, and even when I do thier healer isnt pressured at all and can spam eat whatever I put up.
    You need to be doing damage too! Pressure IS peeling. Sap a melee dps, open hard on the other one. Blind other one out of sap, follow that up with a hex if he doesn't trinket. Hard swap to something in a bomb with a shadowdance/full dots. You can put them on the defensive pretty quickly.
    Private Lessons Available!
    Skype Contact Info: virusl0l (with a zero)

fate is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Filovirus View Post
    You need to be doing damage too! Pressure IS peeling. Sap a melee dps, open hard on the other one. Blind other one out of sap, follow that up with a hex if he doesn't trinket. Hard swap to something in a bomb with a shadowdance/full dots. You can put them on the defensive pretty quickly.
    Well ya, we basically do that. I attempt to get dots up on our first target. They attempt to zerg my shaman. We use a sap-blind onto the other melee. The blind usually gets trinketed as they wanna open hard. At this point its really difficult for my shaman to hex or cast at all. Weve been using a combination of rogue stun and shadowflame to help him pillar while still trying to counter pressure. Most of the time we are able to force defensive CDs or even almost score a kill(Had a ret Bubble at 1736 last night). I think alot of our problem is maintaining that pressure after we counter their CDs.

Fear is all but useless so Ive been popping DS, trink, and just dumping damage into targets.
    Is it better to dot all 3 up before the counter switch or should I focus on just those 2 DPSers, and get tongues on their heals?

These melee cleaves are really hurting us. We havent lost to more than 5 teams with a caster on it and cant get anywhere because we are losing to cleaves.