+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Typhon is on a distinguished road

Key Bindings for Left-Handed players

Hello all, I was just wondering if there are any other Left handed players out there that use the arrow keys as their main movement scheme.

I've been experimenting with a few different routes (Numpad is a bit of a reach) but I haven't tried re-binding things like M or L or P or going to that side of the keyboard in general. Is there anyone out there that's a wierdo like me and uses this setup? If so, what key bindings do you use?

As a side not, yes I have tried to revery back to just plain old WASD but it doesn't feel right in the left or right hand placement setup.

Ryz is on a distinguished road
    i am also a lefty but i am so used to playing wasd with left and mouse with right hand that anything else doesnt feel right. personally i have my left hand moving within the q caps control space v f t "circle" of the keyboard. right hand goes to my razer naga mouse. its expensive and annoying the 1st days-weeks, but now i cant play without it. thumb for alt c v x z space, f r t e d for index, middle for w, ring for q, pinky for caps shift control.
    u can also try moving 1 button to the right. going like esdf so u have more space to move.

Zazam is on a distinguished road
    You might find some useful information in this thread:

http://www.skill-capped.com/forums/s...thanded-player
    Alliance, Coilfang - US
    Spanner Rynestyne Dancingblade
    Retired: Zazam, Rhombus, Biometrics (Trying to forget my bad habits.)

Typhon is on a distinguished road
    thanks for the link! This is helping out with some good ideas!

treepwood is on a distinguished road
    I actually went through this also. I decided to move everything or as much as possible to the right side of the keyboard. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a good play for the strafe key's so i'm not using them at all (fail i know). However I use my mouse (with my left hand) to move, i don't use the keys at all.
    I use 9 0 - = backspace with alt and shift and sometimes ctrl modifers. then i drop down 1 line and P [ ] \ then i drop another line and use K L ; ' also with alt, shift modifiers, and i macro'ed 1 ability to the bottom ,. I also use F9 F10 F11 F12. This improved my game a lot but i still feel it doesn't compare to the WASD setup.

Last time I upgraded my mouse (actually it is a thumb trackball) I got one with an extra two buttons and bound them to Strafe left and Strafe right. I found that this helped a lot. You might want to consider this, if you can find a mouse with extra buttons which is not right hand ergonomic. It is just nice to have all your movement keys on your mouse. I never really used strafe much until I did this, and now I use it all the time.
    Alliance, Coilfang - US

Before I changed to the above setting, i had to every once in a while keyboard turn, but it ended up being more likfe strafing but either way it was a pain in the @$s. I was thinking of trying to change my key bindings to the RDFG mentioned in the link above or the UHJK one. The problem i'll have with it is that when i created my current key binding setups i had to make some really weird alt modifiers. With that said with either of the keybindings mentioned above i will have more keyboard space to work with and from there it would just be muscle memory.

Although the UHJK setup I mentioned in that thread is on the right side of the keyboard, it is a righthander’s setup, in that it is designed for the left hand or have access to the Mod keys. If you are making a setup for your right hand on the right side of the keyboard I would suggest using OKL: or PL:” so that you can reach the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift keys.

The advantage of RDFG for a lefthander (UHJK for a righthander) is that you access the Mod keys with your thumb instead of little finger, which is nice if you aren’t comfortable relying on your little finger that much.
    Alliance, Coilfang - US

Thanks for the advice, OKL; actually seems more comfortable. I think when i first saw that original post back in july i was going to try it and not being able to reach the mod keys is what kept me from doing the switch. Another reason i didn't do it is cause i was too lazy to try and redo macros and didn't feel like relearning new bindings(sucks getting old/growing up).

Started doing pl;' and it feels good, but i'm not sure if i'll have as much space as i thought i would. I might try out rdfg instead.