+ Reply to Thread

Akamas is on a distinguished road

Warlock's role in MLS

Hello guys, I joined some months ago and so far I really enjoy it here I improved alot from watching every warlock contributers videos and I just want to say thank you all the community is awesome !

I felt that i couldnt find any topic related to what I'm about to ask and I searched for a really long time so I decided to make a thread but if there already is threads I apologize.. also for my shit grammar .

I havent played serious since s8 back then my biggest accomplishment were duelist and this season I decided that I'm going to play serious again and hopefully push for glad but I need your guys help.

So first of all the plan is to go MLS with a good friend of mine neither of us have played this comp before and its completly new to us we still looking for a shaman so we havent been able to try it out just yet. I know abit of what this comp is and how it works:

- Can put out alot of damage and keep sick pressure the entire match
    - Can kill something in a deep
    - Really good Crowd Control
    - Basicly any target are viable for a kill

And obviosly to avoid:

- Overlapping our CS's
    - Overlapping our Deep/Coil

So I got some questions that I been wondering about:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - What exactly is the Warlock's role in this comp?

2 - What exactly is the Mage's role in this comp (asking for my friend his also skill-capped subbed)

3 - I read somewhere that the should avoid polymorphing too much and just focusing on putting out as much damage as possible while leaving the CC duty to the is this correct?

4 - Maybe a stupid question but is this comp still viable for atleast glad and if we dont find a shaman can a druid work too?

5 - I've been working on my spec specificly for our MLS setup what do you think? http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/tool/tal...Ve!Y!befTjPOnp

6 - How do we survive Meleecleaves ? I know my role here is really important since they will most likely go for my mage or shaman I know its important that I keep curse of weakness up and fear/slow really good together with novas/deep and UA's while trying to counter pressure them is this all there is too it? it feels like i answered my own question but i just need to make sure hehe.

7 - What is our weaknesses and which comp counters us the most?

8 - Would the Shadowbolt Valley trinket http://www.wowhead.com/item=77980 or the haste trinket http://www.wowhead.com/item=77971 be the better choice for the in this comp?

9 - How exactly do we setup a kill together with a swap ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is all the questions i can think of right now but I will add more questions if something comes to mind.

Thank you for taking you time to read this and hopefully answer all the questions!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Akamas; 12-20-2011 at 08:43 AM.

League is on a distinguished road
    As a mage, also looking to play MLS, I'm also really interested in having some light shed on this setup.

Brainlost is on a distinguished road
    Mage here and got lock mate aswell, so looking up for some answers

Cutscene is on a distinguished road
    I will answer best I can since I am playing this comp as well we started last week. Our first few games were rocky but getting into it now, and once you get your cc chains down it becomes a VERY strong comp and a ton of fun. This comp puts out INSANE pressure.
    Addons - if you dont have it, gladiatorlossa... i love this addon lets me know EVERYTHing the oposing team is popping for cds.. its a crutch but a strong one

1 - What exactly is the Warlock's role in this comp?
    Your goal and the mages is to Control the pace of the game, if your mage or shaman are focused you need to be fearing, silencing on cast, shadowflame slowing melee ect so they can kite more effectivly. Portal placement is key here and your positioning for triple fears. On some games where I am focused "rare" My mage is free to cast this equates to easier games due to poly, + silence to prevent dispels. Your mage has to be king here honestly, your fears and dmg create the pressure but any good team will generally put the pressure on your mage, and do swaps to shaman, this puts a ton of pressure on your mage to not make any mistakes, make sure he is not Ice blocking until shaman calls for it, you need to prevent dispels on the block and save dc for times like this on a warr for instance who can remove it.
    2 - What exactly is the Mage's role in this comp (asking for my
    friend his also skill-capped subbed)

The mages roll, is to kite effectivly with help from the shaman, earthbind totems, your shadowflame and fears. while keeping cc with you on either healer or a dps. Since your team is all about pressure like you said you can swap to anyone who is low. BUT your mage an you MUST keep the cc chains rolling or your shaman will have a hard time keeping your mage up, after they swap to him it will be very hard to keep your mage and himself going. They force spirit link, NS ect its over. your mage and you must play aggresive but not overextend. Once your mage has some cc windows or is able to fake cast successfully he must get polies rolling. Honestly mage needs to cc often and like you needs to be multitasking/fake casting. You have the element of time + pressure and burst.

3 - I read somewhere that the should avoid polymorphing too much and just focusing on putting out as much damage as possible while leaving the CC duty to the is this correct?
    partially correct, A mage will be forced to kite during most games, and survive until the opposing team has used most cd's to try and kill him, at this point it will be your job to cc and control enough to prevent his gib, while prioritizing your dmg. You have to keep dots rolling on at least 2 targets with SoulSwap at all times. "sure you know this" :P Once your pressure is going, and you have created some cc windows, you mage can then poly more often, also he should try to get an opener poly to get your pressure goign from invis. try and time an insta triple fear by bunching up the opposing team "mage can kite the dps bhind a pillar get some control to force the healer to come into range to heal. at that point with trinkets down begin your burst to put them on the defensive, with cds down this will give you a huge advantage and with your dot pressure it makes it very difficult for them to catch up.

4 - Maybe a stupid question but is this comp still viable for atleast glad and if we dont find a shaman can a druid work too?
    Definatly glad viable, druid can work but from my experiance as a rogue and priest in arena, druids drop SO fast. Your druid must be a pro kiter and your mage and you will have to play perfectly to prevent him getting gibbed. I think shaman is better due to totems, control, hex, shear, grounding , tremor.

5 - I've been working on my spec specificly for our MLS setup what do you think? [url]
    i like this for as it buffs your mage. But you can also put points into your insta pet if your pet keeps dying
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#IrGroGsMcdcbMZc:MsRmqVMm0

6 - How do we survive Meleecleaves ? I know my role here is really important since they will most likely go for my mage or shaman I know its important that I keep curse of weakness up and fear/slow really good together with novas/deep and UA's while trying to counter pressure them is this all there is too it? it feels like i answered my own question but i just need to make sure hehe.
    Depends on which melee cleaves. Your shaman needs to stay at max range and pillar peek. You and your mage need to get the control asap on them with novas, spell stealing/devour freedoms triple fears, save DC for oh shit moments. Portal placement is key as well,if you see a swap this can save your shaman with a nice fear or yourself. By porting as they swap you can prevent pressure. "slow first, then port" Play agressive at your control early game to force trinkets/ and cds like freedom. if you can survive the first 30-40 seconds usually your team can turn it around quickly as most of their burst is gone. "for two more minutes" So at this point gain control of the match deeps on warrior forinstance, when ams is down fear dk, silence .. its all about control.

7 - What is our weaknesses and which comp counters us the most?
    Counters not many, probably mirror, RLS, and Shadowplay are the biggest threats. Meleecleaves are really hard but i think once you have the control down its not bad.
    8 - Would the Shadowbolt Valley trinket http://www.wowhead.com/item=77980 or the haste trinket http://www.wowhead.com/item=77971 be the better choice for the in this comp?

Im not sure on this, I like the idea of haste trinket better honestly. SB volley proc is nice, but uncontrolled dmg and may break cc. "can someone verify? and is this good reasoning?
    9 - How exactly do we setup a kill together with a swap ?
    Honestly like reckful said in his videos, CONTROL CONTROL! its the most important thing in arena, with control and pressure from your dots healers will NOT be able to keep up with dmg if your control is there.
    My burst strat. Pop demon soul, and On use trink, then soul swap dots from a target to swap target, also if you get a nightfall proc you will do 12% more dmg with above spec "shadow and flame talent" , and give your mage 5% chance to crit on that target its nice during burst or kill swap.

Good luck hope this helps.
    Last edited by Cutscene; 12-20-2011 at 10:47 AM.