+ Reply to Thread

Epic

Lock setup for RLS

Hey,
    So I'm about to start running RLS on my lock and I just had a few questions about my setup. As far as glyphs, I've seen top locks run with quick decay (basically all of them), but the remaining two seems to be any mixture of corruption, shadowflame, howl of terror, and soul link. I'm currently running quick decay, corruption, howl of terror, which is what I'm leaning toward for RLS, but I've definitely considered shadowflame (though with a rogue might not be as necessary). With RLS being an offensive comp I don't think I'd go soul link. Any thoughts?
    As far as talents, I'm wondering about a few swing talents. I have imp CoA currently, but with RLS I'd wanna keep CoE on whatever target the rogue is on, so it doesn't seem as good for the comp. With my current gear I could also drop a point out of Suppression. So with these three points, should I pick up 3 points in shadow embrace (3% dot damage and healing debuff that would only help on offtarget really) or go Imp Felhunter/Dark Pact for a lil more pet damage and mana regen (so I don't have to lifetap as much). I know Pyrilus goes with the second option, but how much mana does it give you. Does your pet ever go oom because of the Dark Pacts or is the Imp Felhunter mana enough to keep him up?
    Finally, as far as gearing goes, how much haste should I shoot for? My first estimate would be 500-600 haste, cause SP seems > haste for gems. I don't pve, so I'll be in full pvp gear. Any advice on these questions or general RLS/lock advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pyrilus is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: Lock setup for RLS

As a general rule, you want to either take what you will use or what you plan to use. It's pointless to grab a talent or glyph that won't be used at all. That said, there are a couple reasons why I choose HoT, Shadowflame, Quick Decay and skip SL and Corr. SL seems like a waste because as RLS I find that I don't generally die without my pet. That's to say, if I have my pet up, the 20% SL works just fine in keeping me alive. If I lose two pets, I'm in a lot more trouble. Corruption Glyph is nice on paper because it looks like you double the effectiveness of Nightfall, but in the end, Shadowbolts really don't do that much damage in relation to other dots. More often than not, I'm spending globals trying to either reapply dots or to get a CC or interrupt to ensure the kill. HoT I use because... well... I use HoT a lot. Quick Decay's mindblowingly good, especially with haste procs and Lust.

Shadowflame is really up to the player. I use it for peeling, for chasing, and for kiting... a lot. I use it on warriors who can't catch up with just Hamstring and hunters so they can't kite as well from my rogue. I use it on rogues in the offchance that the gap I create by trying to kite gets bigger so they can't catch up.

The best answer I can give is give it a shot and if you find yourself not liking it or just not using it as much as you should to make it worthwhile, try other things.

Epic

K, I think I'll try the shadowflame glyph (will also be nice for 2's); thanks for the feedback.

Kisun

Hello!

I am wondering if you could please make a video explaining/outlining the benefits and strats and playstyle of affliction versus destro for RLS?

If not a video, then possibly a real short explanation? Because here's my dilemma:

I hit 80 a month ago, and we got 2200 as RLS tonight. I tried playing it as affliction and it was pure hell. As destro it was a lot easier and a lot more intuitive. but all the 2400+ RLS run affliction. So I just kind of wanted to ask you for a video/strategy/anything that would justify the transition and make it easier (if that makes sense).

Thanks in advance!

Pyrilus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Kisun
    Hello!

I am wondering if you could please make a video explaining/outlining the benefits and strats and playstyle of affliction versus destro for RLS?

If not a video, then possibly a real short explanation? Because here's my dilemma:

I hit 80 a month ago, and we got 2200 as RLS tonight. I tried playing it as affliction and it was pure hell. As destro it was a lot easier and a lot more intuitive. but all the 2400+ RLS run affliction. So I just kind of wanted to ask you for a video/strategy/anything that would justify the transition and make it easier (if that makes sense).

Thanks in advance!
    I do plan to release some RLS (Aff) videos once I have time to dedicate after finals (just ended a day where I spent the better part of the last 12 hours writing a report!). In a nutshell, both specs have slightly different learning curves. On the surface, Affliction really just seems to be about spreading dots and fearing. This is true at the basic level, but later on it's much more about prioritization of CC vs dps (I have a [bad] tendency towards CCing more than I should), dot upkeep, and being able to gauge the flow of the battle to adjust accordingly. Destruction is quite a bit more direct. It involves setting up kills but mostly it's a single-target type of thing. I know for sure that Uck prefers this kind of playstyle by far. But Aff has always been my calling (although my "first love" was Demonology).

Affliction's a lot more versatile. Its dot nature means you can be damaging any number of people (almost) equally well (barring your Haunt target). This leaves the field of play a lot more complex, but at the same time giving you a lot more potential. My favorite moments with Affliction are in 2s when I can fully dot a target and I can afford to leave my healer behind with the target to finish it off while I laugh at the healer I'm CCing. It's really rewarding. I really enjoy always doing something. Whether that's dotting with globals or CCing, peeling for my team. It's just too much fun. Especially with Lust. Dots everywhere, fears everywhere. Another aspect to consider is what you can do while pressured. The great thing about Affliction is that once the dots are up, range and LoS just don't matter anymore. You can also pretty much fully dot a target while someone is on you as long as you juke the interrupts. But I suppose this is partly true for Destruction, although your damage can again be ranged or LoSed.

This doesn't mean I discourage Destro. If you enjoy it, but all means keep playing it. Just know that at the end of the day it's about what your strengths and weaknesses are and how you push yourself to improve. Uck is extremely successful with Destruction, even to this day. It still has its rewards, it just requires a bit more work than it used to. I know that when Affliction was inferior to Destr in any practical sense from S6 to the middle of S7, I played Destruction to remain competitive.

But play what you enjoy. Either way, it's still your warlock. And both can work.

Kisun

Cool, thanks! I'll be looking forward to seeing those videos.

And as far as play style, I really do enjoy both. Thanks for the explanation!