+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 Last

Flugger is on a distinguished road

Rogue Macros 101

People been asking for specific macros for rogues. I made this thread on my guild forum a couple months back and figured I might aswell repost it to the public. Also mentioning my keybinds, for those interested.

Feel free to ask any questions about those macros - or if you feel I missed any!

First of all, stance macros are a must for rogues to avoid bar lag! Make sure you put those on a non-stance bar. Personally I'm keeping ambush and backstab on the same keybind, it makes sense! Bound to 1 for those wondering.

Ambush / Backstab:

#showtooltip [stance] Ambush; Backstab
    /startattack [nostance]
    /cast [nomod,stance] Premeditation
    /use [stance:3] 14
    /cast [nomod,stance] Ambush; [nomod,nostance] Backstab
    (14 is your bottom trinket slot)

I also like to have hemo and garrote bound to the same key (2), this macro is equal to the first one except that it includes commands for focus target. My focus modifier is alt btw, change it to whatever you prefer.

Garrote / Hemo:

#showtooltip [stance] Garrote; Hemorrhage
    /startattack [nostance]
    /cast [nomod,stance][mod:alt,@focus,stance] Garrote; [nomod][mod:alt,@focus][mod:ctrl] Hemorrhage
    I also put in a ctrl modifier in the end so I'm able to use hemo when I'm dancing. Next up is my shiv/cheap shot macro (bound to 3), it's basically the exact same as above:

Cheap Shot / Shiv:

#showtooltip [stance] Cheap Shot; Shiv
    /startattack [nostance]
    /cast [nomod,stance][mod:alt,@focus,stance] Cheap Shot; [nomod][mod:alt,@focus][mod:ctrl] Shiv
    /cast [nomod,nostance][mod:alt,@focus,nostance] Throw
    Again you can use shiv in dance by holding down ctrl (useful to dispel enrage effects when dancing). I've also added a throw in the end - most of the times when using shiv it's to slow down a ranged, and a lot of the time you will be stuck in frost nova etc - being able to automatically throw when getting stuck is nice. This will also save you from a bind! Next up is sap / gouge bound to 4:

Sap / Gouge:

#showtooltip [stance] Sap; Gouge
    /stopattack [mod:ctrl]
    /cleartarget [mod:ctrl]
    /targetenemyplayer [mod:ctrl]
    /cast [nomod,stance][mod:alt,@focus,stance] Sap; [nomod][mod:alt,@focus][mod:ctrl] Gouge
    This might look slightly complicated - basically, with no modifier you will sap in stealth, gouge out of stealth. With alt, you will gouge/sap your focus and I added the ctrl modifier basically to counter hunter openers (1v1 basically). Running in the flare spamming ctrl+4 I will target him (and not the pet) and gouge him - hopefully gouging his scatter shot. Using ctrl is also nice for when you need to gouge during shadow dance!

Next up is my redirect macro, I have redirect bound to 5 for the record.

Redirect:

#showtooltip Redirect
    /cast [nomod] Redirect
    /stopmacro [nomod][mod:ctrl]
    /cleartarget [@target,dead]
    /clearfocus [@focus,dead]
    /target focus
    /cast [mod:alt] Redirect
    /cleartarget [@focus,noexists]
    /targetlasttarget
    /focus target
    /targetlasttarget
    Again, it probably looks like a mess Don't worry, it's not that bad! Basically, without any modifiers it simply redirects to your current target. If you use alt, it will swap your target with your focus and your focus with your target and redirect your new target (previously focus). Using shift it will also swap target and focus, however, it will not use redirect. (Nice for swaps).

Next up is my shadow dance macro! I have shadow dance bound to F:

Shadow Dance:

#showtooltip
    /cast Shadow Dance
    /cast [mod:shift][mod:alt,@focus] Cheap Shot; [mod:ctrl] Garrote
    /cast [nomod,@focus] Sap
    Basically, it will use shadow dance, if you do not use any modifiers it will also sap your focus target. This is awesome for quick saps arena! Using shift it will shadow dance and immideately cheap shot your target, using alt it will do the same except it will cheap shot your focus target. Using ctrl will use garrote on target instead.

I will very much recommend having your shadowstep bound to a mouse button as it makes it way easier to spam it with other stuff and you save yourself from making double up with macros for shadowstep! Having it bound to your mouse it's important that it works with all binds as you will often spam it while holding down a modifier for other stuff-

Shadowstep:

#showtooltip Shadowstep
    /cast [mod:alt,@focus] Shadowstep; Shadowstep
    Keeping recuperate and slice and dice on the same bind saves you from yet another keybind!

Recuperate / Slice and Dice:

#showtooltip [mod:shift] Slice and Dice; Recuperate
    /cast [mod:ctrl] Premeditation
    /cast [nomod][mod:ctrl] Recuperate; [mod:shift] Slice and Dice
    I have recup and snd bound to Q, I've also bounded premeditation -> recup to ctrl+Q for when you're in stealth and need extra combo points for heal!

Next up is my eviscerate macro, this is bound to E and is probably my most complex keybind. I actually had to make 2 macros to make it do what I wanted it to as I was out of space! Let me show you the macro and explain after.

Eviscerate:

#showtooltip
    /cast [nostance,nocombat] !Stealth; [mod:ctrl,stance:0/3] Rupture; [stance:0/3] Eviscerate
    /stopmacro [nostealth]
    /stopattack
    /cleartarget
    /targetenemyplayer
    /cast [mod:shift] Shadowstep
    /cast [mod:ctrl] Cheap Shot; Sap
    First of all, "rupture??" you may ask! Well, it's not something I actually use a lot, but having it bound somewhere is nice! So basically, if you're in combat and out of stealth or dancing you will use eviscerate. However, if you're in stealth it works like a find druid/rogue sap macro!

Using shift takes it one step further, it will also shadowstep before sapping, makes your saps a lot more reliable! Last thing, if you're out of combat but not in stealth, it will stealth (and then work as a sap macro, using ctrl it will cheap shot instead). So E is eviscerate, find rogue sap macro AND stealth all baked together. So yep, now you saved yourself from yet another keybind (stealth). Also, its a spamable stealth macro, I suggest binding unstealth to another keybind so you're able to leave stealth aswell!

But, the E key actually does more! I had to make a second macro to fit it all in. This macro is bound to alt+E.

Focus Sap:

#showtooltip
    /cast [nostance,nocombat] !Stealth; [nostance] Vanish
    /cast [@focus] Sap
    Yep, that's quite easy, if you're out of combat it will stealth, else it will vanish -> then sap your focus target. So if you have shadowstep bound to your mouse you can hold down alt and spam E + mouse button to vanish -> shadowstep focus -> sap focus, and seeing vanish and shadowstep is not in GCD this will all happen instantly! Next up is kidney!

Kidney Shot:

#showtooltip
    /startattack
    /cast [nomod] Kidney Shot; [mod:ctrl] Expose Armor
    /castsequence [mod:alt,@focus] reset=59 Redirect, Kidney Shot
    Expose Armor??? Again, its just to place it somewhere, you never know when you will have use for it! I have kidney shot bound to R, regular use will kidney shot current target, using alt is redirect->kidney focus target!

Trinket:

#showtooltip Ruthless Gladiator's Medallion of Tenacity
    /cast [nomod][mod:ctrl] Ruthless Gladiator's Medallion of Tenacity
    /cast [nomod] !Stealth; [mod:ctrl] Gouge
    Basically, I have trinket bound to G, if you're out of combat when you trinket you will automatically stealth. And if you use ctrl you will trinket and immideately gouge, very useful to counter rogue or druid openers on you. I have prep bound to shift+G.

Preparation:

#showtooltip Preparation
    /castsequence reset=10 !Sprint, null
    /stopcasting
    /cast Preparation
    This will automatically use sprint when you prep, and as sprint has no GCD your GCD wont be affected! It's important to have your food and especially bandages binded, I'm using my S key for it!

Food / Bandage / Healthstone:

#showtooltip
    /cancelaura Hand of Protection
    /use [mod:shift] Dense Embersilk Bandage; [mod:ctrl] Healthstone; Conjured Mana Cake
    /use [your food/drink here]
    /stopmacro [mod]
    /cast !Stealth
    First of all, if you're playing with a paladin - this will remove HoP from you when you use it! Bandage on shift, healthstone on ctrl and food with no mod. If you do not have any conjured mana cake it will proceed to next line, so type in whatever food you want there.

Ever vanished and the second you vanish you realise you went out of combat and could have stealthed? No more!

Vanish:

#showtooltip Vanish
    /cast [nocombat] !Stealth; [nostealth] Vanish
    /cast [mod:shift][mod:alt,@focus] Cheap Shot; [mod:ctrl] Garrote
    /cast [nomod,@focus] Sap
    This will only vanish when in combat. As you can see it's almost identical to our shadow dance macro. Vanish -> Cheap Shot target on shift, Cheap Shot focus on alt and Garrote target on ctrl. It will also sap your focus target when you use it. I have vanish binded to C btw!

Deadly Throw / FoK / Throw:

#showtooltip
    /startattack
    /cast [mod:shift] Fan of Knives
    /cast [nomod] Deadly Throw
    /cast [nomod] Throw
    Alright, I have this binded to the '<' key. Basically, on normal use it will deadly throw if combo points, else it will use regular throw. If you use shift it will use fan of knives!

Distract:

#showtooltip Distract
    /cast [nomod] !Distract
    It makes the green circle stick so you can't toggle it away if you accidently click twice! Distract is binded to Z.

Kick:

#showtooltip Kick
    /cast [mod:alt/shift,@focus] Shadowstep
    /cast [nomod][mod:alt/shift,@focus] Kick
    My kick is actually bound to | (its the key left to 1). This macro will kick on regular use, focus kick using alt. Using shift it works like a shadowstep->kick focus! Next up: Blind!

Blind:

#showtooltip Blind
    /stopattack [mod:ctrl]
    /cleartarget [mod:ctrl]
    /targetenemyplayer [mod:ctrl]
    /cast [nomod][mod:ctrl][mod:alt,@focus] Blind
    This will yet again blind target on nomod and blind focus target using alt! It will also target closest enemy player and blind them using ctrl. Either you want to blind someone right in front of you quickly or you want to run into a hunter flare and blind him the same time you eat his trap, either ways, very useful!

You also need to set a focus bind for your disarm, but its very straigt forward and don't really need any explaination.

Dismantle:

#showtooltip Dismantle
    /cast [mod:alt,@focus] Dismantle; Dismantle
    The next set of macros I find really amazing! Instead of changing a macro everytime you group up to make sure you TotT the right target, how about you can manually set a tott target just by targetting someone and using a bind? Really? Yeah baby!

It requires 2 macros though, one to set your tott target and one to actually tott. I have tott bound to shift+X, set tott target is bound to alt+X.

Set TotT Target:

/run T = UnitName("target")
    /run if not InCombatLockdown() then EditMacro('TotT', nil, nil, '#showtooltip\n/cast [@'.. T ..'] Tricks of the Trade', nil); print('Tricks: ' .. T); end;
    It's VERY important that you name your next macro 'TotT' else this wont work.

'TotT' Macro:

#showtooltip
    /cast [@] Tricks of the Trade
    The first macro will manually change the 2nd macro! Keep in mind you can only change tott target out of combat this way. I also suggest using this poison macro!

Poison Macro:

#showtooltip
    /use [modifier: alt] Deadly Poison; [modifier: shift] Wound Poison; [modifier: ctrl] Mind-numbing Poison; Crippling Poison
    /use [button:1] 16; [button:2] 17; [button:3] 18
    /click StaticPopup1Button1
    Basically, you can apply all of your poisons to your weapons with only 1 single macro! Another smart macro is the mount macro. You should also bind your mount, I use shift+Z

Mount Macro:

#showtooltip
    /cast [flyable] Bloodbathed Frostbrood Vanquisher; Black Battlestrider
    Just change the mount names to whatever mounts you prefer. First one is your flying mount, second is ground mount (d'uh).

I would also recommend making macros to target and put arena opponents as focus. I use F1-F5 to target arena1-5 and shift+F1-F5 to focus arena1-5. I would want to use alt instead of shift, but kinda sucks when you have to focus the 4th enemy in 5s

Target / Focus arenaX

/target [nomod] arena1
    /focus [mod:shift] arena1
    Just change arena1 to arena2, 3, 4 and 5 for the other macros!

If you want to go advanced I actually have 4x daggers. 2x main hand daggers, where I keep one with wound and one with mind-numbing and swap depending on who we meet and even in combat! I also have 2x offhand daggers, both with crippling, but one with landslide and one with pyrium. Making macros to swap daggers are way easier than it sounds:

Swap main-hand daggers:

/equipslot 16 Ruthless Gladiator's Shanker
    Swap off-hand daggers:

/equipslot 17 Ruthless Gladiator's Shiv
    Those only work when the daggers are called the same though!

Feel free to ask any questions

Rugmouse will become famous soon enough
    This looks great! This is sure to be helpful for several rogues in the community. I hope you don't mind, but I just put together a Frequently Asked Rogue Questions thread, and I added a link to this thread to that page.
    Last edited by Rugmouse; 02-08-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugmouse View Post
    This looks great! This is sure to be helpful for several rogues in the community. I hope you don't mind, but I just put together a Frequently Asked Rogue Questions thread, and I added a link to this thread to that page.
    No worries at all, appreciate it :)

Achrixi is on a distinguished road
    Bookmarked thanks abunchhhh

Jekko is on a distinguished road
    Awesome!
    I'm just about to revive my poor neglected rogue, I'll make good use of these macros for sure, thanks a lot for this <3

kleo is on a distinguished road
    Macros are great.... But could you explain exactly where you have what. I mean which bar you have put them on. I have found myself basically stuck for things to put on my stance bar as most is now marcoed to shadow dance or sonething that do not want to have lag on.

Jekar is on a distinguished road
    I only made it to the first post, but these are awesome. I will be stealing some of these when there is more sunlight out.

AlmaBeoulve is an unknown quantity at this point
    Please give somehow a more detailed layout of your keybinds? I absolutely love these macro's... You've helped me alot!!

Stuttbein
    Someone buy this man a beer!