+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Evolver is on a distinguished road

WHY DO I SUCK!

My main got banned (was feral) and I've decided to roll mage and for some reason I just get ass raped by other classes and I dont know what I'm doing wrong, It seems to me the damage that I try to output is not enough and I seem to get CC'ed the shit out of or get nuked like a slug.

Here's my armoury:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...%B8urce/simple

I'll get some videos of me playing 2's with a priest and my friend lock we literally just get owned too quick because of rogue/locks or rogue/mage

Drixar is on a distinguished road
    It's real hard to say without those videos as your Armory looks fine to me with the gear you have. sounds more like an expereince thing.

if your having so much trouble surviving the best thing to do is switch out one of your tinkets for the pvp one too boost it up by 400ish that will help a little, then i would que for 2's but only you enter or your freind that your playing with enters and /leaves so you can practice kiting and surviving while being trained by two people or 1 and a healer, this will do a few things;

1) really help your cooldown management
    2) really help your kiting ability and positioning
    3) really boost your experience.

i still do 2v1's now as its always great to have that practice, and its fun (in my opinion)

as for damage, i know this is a sily question but are you just lancing?

a slight revision on the armory: says you only have 16% crit i would honestly get atleast 19% as your only going up to 48% in a shatter currently and thats not a guranteed crit, by going to 19% it takes you up to 57% crit and thats alot better, personally i run with 21% crit.
    Last edited by Drixar; 03-05-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spellings

illukka is an unknown quantity at this point
    maybe you have too much resilience :/

anyways as a mage ( when trained/unable to hard cast ) your dmg comes from fingers of frost procs-> hard hitting ice lances. this means using cooldowns that proc FoF to your advantage. nova x2, petfreeze x2, CoC, and frostfire orb will proc a ton of FoF and u can spam those 30k lances :P.
    of course when you can hard cast do it, shatters still do a shitload of dmg. in 2v2 as mage be aggressive right from the start, pressure them hard. rogues and ferals if they get the opener on your prepare to lose a lot of hp thou- it helps having shields ( ice barrier mana shield mageward ) on all the time. if you cant do anything else at least refresh shields

anyway best way to practise is to find a random dps for 2v2 and just spam queue

Evolver is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Drixar View Post
    It's real hard to say without those videos as your Armory looks fine to me with the gear you have. sounds more like an expereince thing.

if your having so much trouble surviving the best thing to do is switch out one of your tinkets for the pvp one too boost it up by 400ish that will help a little, then i would que for 2's but only you enter or your freind that your playing with enters and /leaves so you can practice kiting and surviving while being trained by two people or 1 and a healer, this will do a few things;

1) really help your cooldown management
    2) really help your kiting ability and positioning
    3) really boost your experience.

i still do 2v1's now as its always great to have that practice, and its fun (in my opinion)

as for damage, i know this is a sily question but are you just lancing?

a slight revision on the armory: says you only have 16% crit i would honestly get atleast 19% as your only going up to 48% in a shatter currently and thats not a guranteed crit, by going to 19% it takes you up to 57% crit and thats alot better, personally i run with 21% crit.
    Yeah I sit at 16& Crit without buffs, when I use Molten armour I get buffed to 19%, also thank you very much on your advice I will try it out. It seemed to be that me personally I didnt have the correct macros set up and I was really bad at playing made in PvP, So i'll try your tactics and hope for the best My last question to you would be how do you have 21% Crit? Is that with just the Cataclysmic gear or have you put gems/enchants into it.

Quote Originally Posted by illukka View Post
    maybe you have too much resilience :/

anyways as a mage ( when trained/unable to hard cast ) your dmg comes from fingers of frost procs-> hard hitting ice lances. this means using cooldowns that proc FoF to your advantage. nova x2, petfreeze x2, CoC, and frostfire orb will proc a ton of FoF and u can spam those 30k lances :P.
    of course when you can hard cast do it, shatters still do a shitload of dmg. in 2v2 as mage be aggressive right from the start, pressure them hard. rogues and ferals if they get the opener on your prepare to lose a lot of hp thou- it helps having shields ( ice barrier mana shield mageward ) on all the time. if you cant do anything else at least refresh shields

anyway best way to practise is to find a random dps for 2v2 and just spam queue
    When I try to Ice lance spam I only do it when I have fingers of Frost up, also even with FoF up my ice lance only do 10k. But now that I got DMFC: Volcano, I've noticed mastery is a big help to me since on dummies I do land 50-60k Frostbolts and 40k Ice lances. Also as i said to drixar I just didnt have enough PvP experience with my mage, so I'm going to be trying his kiting method to improve.

thanks for your reply guys

illukka is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolver View Post
    When I try to Ice lance spam I only do it when I have fingers of Frost up, also even with FoF up my ice lance only do 10k. But now that I got DMFC: Volcano, I've noticed mastery is a big help to me since on dummies I do land 50-60k Frostbolts and 40k Ice lances.
    definitely try to get ur hands on pve gear with mastery on them. theres another nice trinket available from the 4.3 5 mans http://www.wowhead.com/item=72898 try to get your hands on it.
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=58183 is nother easily availabe trinket that is still useable

Lilceasar is on a distinguished road
    You ever get a video or two recorded?

As someone else mentioned, your crit is low, which is going to have a big impact on thing that makes frost mages feared, your shatters; I haven't played frost since last season, but the gearing should still be about the same, I aimed for a minimum 18% unbuffed crit, and then dumped everything else into mastery, if I remember correctly my mastery was giving me an extra 20-25% extra damage. Shattered barrier is a nice talent as well, especially if you are having a hard time getting away.

Don't be afraid to switch armors in combat, I usually start off in frost armor, and switch to molten when I'm on the offensive.

Also, don't forget to use your Frostfire Orb, both defensively and offensively, if melee is on you, drop the orb, it will snare them as they run through it, and give you FoF procs at the same time, this allows you to maintain some pressure and snare at the same time, I usually kite around my orb when I drop it. Also, using it offensively, when you think you can score a kill, that is a good time to go into a frostfire orb ice lance spam when your deepfreeze is on CD.

When you are completely on the defensive, it's a matter of getting to an LoS spot, and having an understanding of what the other classes are going to do to counter your roots and snares. If a rogue opens on you, don't even hesitate to ice block it, once a druids bleeds are stacked on you, depending on your partner, if they are a healer, you should be fine, if not, you might want to consider ice blocking that off as well. Try to get a ring of frost down immediately, so when you are forced to ice block (which will probably happen), you can cold snap another ring, and don't run through your own ring to soon before it activates, so try to cast it ahead of you a yard or two, not directly on top of you. And try to position your back to the ring edge to protect against pounces and shadowstep, and directionally between you and a warrior charge etc. It may seem like a lot to pay attention to, but it becomes second nature after a while.

It's also good to pop icy veins just before you deepfreeze a target (I had this macro'd to a single key), that will let you get 2 frostbolts and an ice lance into the deep freeze, make sure that if their partner is a healer, you silence him before the deep, so he can't dispell or heal, then immdeiately follow up with a polymorph, or have your priest move in position for a fear to completely prevent the gap where he could squeeze off some heals.

One thing I always struggled with as frost, is the lack of damage I put out, when my target was on the move to either range or LoS me outside of my burst, a frostfire orb FoF proc's can help that while you wait for a deep.