+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Drixar is on a distinguished road
    hmm i'm running around with 104k mana the other mages i see are running around with 106k mana (just with our own intellect buffs) so i cant really imagine there's that much of a difference? even so i never go oom unless i spamsteal and forget to watch my mana or stay exclusivley in frost armor as i have the evo glyph not the frost mana regen one. (which does happen in twos sometimes hahahaha)
    Last edited by Drixar; 03-08-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spelling (as always)

Vyloriana is on a distinguished road
    Mages have a strange learning curve. I think the skill floor is actually a little higher than people think. That is to say, you feel like you're banging your head against a steel reinforced concrete wall and expecting to get through it cause you see other people so it. Once there though you can kick ass any time you're in control of a fight and that's a mages priority. We're not damage machines like our pve equivalents. That isn't to say we don't do damage, but it's usually much more important for us to be forcing cool downs and burst situations.

First thing to do is get your shatters right. You lose 50% of your damage if you're not shattering right. Make sure you can start casting fb pet nova right before it ends and ice lance instantly off the cast. Then lance deep freeze fb instant lance, orb cone lance or fb if you're able to and they can't interrupt , nova same thing applies. Ice lance any time you get fingers of frost from an orb proc.

Second is to find out how to force cool downs. Easiest way to do this is check out the rogue vs Mage videos and some of the rogue videos that show how they sap garrote kidney and dueling a ton of rogues. You'll find out how to regain control of the fight quick, to force cool downs and to force situations like keeping them in combat so the only way they can restealth is vanish. Dueling rogues I find is the easiest way to learn the basics and some of the more advanced items of forcing cool downs but every class has to be learned so that you know their cool downs and what to do vs them.

Third is proper cc. Rmp videos and wmp videos tend to show how to cc and los and more advanced situation forcing when being trained. You can learn a few tricks like sheep, circle the sheep to a wall so there's los to his team mates. There are a few Mage Mage 2s that show this kinda stuff too. Proper cc and when to burst is vital in arenas.

Fourth is situational awareness that any class need. Your partners need to help you with this but a lot of the videos have the vent conversations so you can hear what they're doing and what they need you to do.

Anyway, the only sure fire way to get better, even with the great advice and insight skill capped gives you is to get out there and work at it. Get outside your capital city and duel duel duel!

Biggs is an unknown quantity at this point
    I wouldn't recommend copying that gemming. You should never go 40 off stats on anything. always either 40 int or 20int/mastery. Get the tentacular belt from valor points to get a good boost on crit and mastery, also get foul gift trinket from the Well of Eternity 5-man.

You should aim for about 2200 mastery in the end but please dont gem 40 mastery - int is always better point to point

Drixar is on a distinguished road
    I wouldn't recommend copying that gemming.
    yeh i wouldnt recommend copying me either, i'm short for cash so im just using what i have lying around in the bank and such, i hate farming but i do need to do it as i wish to re-gem to the optimal way.

please dont gem 40 mastery - int is always better point to point
    yup, should of said all this in my post really thanks for picking up on it

Evolver is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    I wouldn't recommend copying that gemming. You should never go 40 off stats on anything. always either 40 int or 20int/mastery. Get the tentacular belt from valor points to get a good boost on crit and mastery, also get foul gift trinket from the Well of Eternity 5-man.

You should aim for about 2200 mastery in the end but please dont gem 40 mastery - int is always better point to point
    Hmm, i thought I was fine mana wise and sitting on 17% crit so i thought gemming 40 mastery would work better since i have 12.xx mastery at the moment

Evolver is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyloriana View Post
    Mages have a strange learning curve. I think the skill floor is actually a little higher than people think. That is to say, you feel like you're banging your head against a steel reinforced concrete wall and expecting to get through it cause you see other people so it. Once there though you can kick ass any time you're in control of a fight and that's a mages priority. We're not damage machines like our pve equivalents. That isn't to say we don't do damage, but it's usually much more important for us to be forcing cool downs and burst situations.

First thing to do is get your shatters right. You lose 50% of your damage if you're not shattering right. Make sure you can start casting fb pet nova right before it ends and ice lance instantly off the cast. Then lance deep freeze fb instant lance, orb cone lance or fb if you're able to and they can't interrupt , nova same thing applies. Ice lance any time you get fingers of frost from an orb proc.

Second is to find out how to force cool downs. Easiest way to do this is check out the rogue vs Mage videos and some of the rogue videos that show how they sap garrote kidney and dueling a ton of rogues. You'll find out how to regain control of the fight quick, to force cool downs and to force situations like keeping them in combat so the only way they can restealth is vanish. Dueling rogues I find is the easiest way to learn the basics and some of the more advanced items of forcing cool downs but every class has to be learned so that you know their cool downs and what to do vs them.

Third is proper cc. Rmp videos and wmp videos tend to show how to cc and los and more advanced situation forcing when being trained. You can learn a few tricks like sheep, circle the sheep to a wall so there's los to his team mates. There are a few Mage Mage 2s that show this kinda stuff too. Proper cc and when to burst is vital in arenas.

Fourth is situational awareness that any class need. Your partners need to help you with this but a lot of the videos have the vent conversations so you can hear what they're doing and what they need you to do.

Anyway, the only sure fire way to get better, even with the great advice and insight skill capped gives you is to get out there and work at it. Get outside your capital city and duel duel duel!
    Thanks for your input - seems like I have learned even more from what you've said (and the others who have commented as well :P)

Also this is how I open usually:

Pet Frost Nova
    Polymorph (if possible)
    Then Frostbolt + ice Lance
    Deep Freeze
    Ice Lance + Fb