+ Reply to Thread

DirtyClamJam is on a distinguished road

Streaming Advice

Hey skill-cappers, I'd like to start streaming but i have a bit of a dilema. I did a few test runs today and had it up and running, however when i looked back at the stream it was wayyy to choppy once i got into combat. I would raise the settings on the stream however im already down to 30-35 FPS while streaming and even thats annoying to play at (im used to playing at a steady 60 fps).

So my question is this, what can i purchase to make my comp handle live streaming better? More RAM? Graphics Card? I'm awful with this kind of stuff so any help would be great, i'll try and post my computer specs if i can find em :P.

DirtyClamJam is on a distinguished road
    Bump so people can see!

Nomeans is on a distinguished road
    Well the problem you're describing sounds like an internet issue not a computer issue. What's your internet like? If the game is running smoothly with xsplit up (if you're using xsplit, sorry for the assumption if you're not), I would check your internet up and down speed. And check the quality you're streaming in, if you're trying to stream 1080p, you need a pretty fast connection.

locknlol is on a distinguished road
    Streaming Guide of Importance:
    1) Internet (Fastest PC in the world can't stream on a 1mb upload connection)
    2) Processor power (Speed/Cores), Streaming is, contrary to belief, extremely CPU intensive. Better the CPU, the better the output quality.
    3) RAM - Same concept as processor, just more ram helps run the programs smoother. (8gb+, speed is also a factor, 16gbs of ddr1 is not as fast as 8gb ddr3)
    4) Graphics card - Obviously if you can't run at 30FPS you can't stream any higher. For 60fps you need a card that can handle it. Streaming is again mostly CPU intensive, a live stream program like Xsplit will not drop your frames much if at all (maybe by 5 or so) as it hooks into the DirectX and pulls the frames out into the program.

Best possible setup you say? Dual system livestream. Here's what I have

1) Gaming PC
    - AMD Phenom X4 II 3.2Ghz Processor, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 TI (Buying a second "soon" for SLI)
    2) Streaming PC
    - Intel Pentium 4 Dual Core 3.4Ghz Processor, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 80GB HDD.

What makes my second system special? Blackmagic Intensity Pro running on a PCI Express x16 Expansion slot. HDMI Capture card to record my Gaming PC through HDMI at 24FPS (Don't get caught up on that 24FPS just yet!)

I feed my video cards second DVI port into an HDMI cable to the BMI Pro, which I then use Xsplit to capture and stream the input to Twitch on a 40MB Upload at 720p

Currently (and from now on in the future) HDMI devices have something called HDCP (High-Definition Copyright Protection) which is a new industry standard technology used to block the use of HDMI 1080p capture from anything not HDCP certified. (PS3 to HD 1080p Plasma TV via HDMI is HDCP certified, and requires that certification to see the screen.)

There is a way to bypass HDCP protection, here is how.

By utilizing a DVI to HDMI converter box (Google one) you can take your gaming pc's graphics card extra DVI slot and feed it to the converter, and the output will go via HDMI into the BMI Pro. Boom, you have now 60FPS 1080p HDMI stream. After that, the BMI Pro and CPU of the streaming PC takes over and from there it's all about your internet upload speed.

If you have any questions just let me know.

Iceking is on a distinguished road
    Try going to Filo's stream go look at his settings see if that works for you.