+ Reply to Thread

Hellscreamqt is on a distinguished road

Falling flat on my face

Bit of a text wall here so sorry about that.

So here's my problem, I'm an unh dk playing shaman and I die soooo fast. Against caster cleaves it isn't too bad but stick a big physical damage class in there and it's like I trip over my own shoes. Rogues and hunters I'm lookin at you.

I understand how to effectively use LB with ams and all that good stuff but the big question I have is what else I can do to keep my footing. One ability I mightml be able to utilize is deathstrike. Yea if I'm gonna die I'm spamming it like my life depends on it. Probably cuz it does. But what about other times to use it? For example after an aim chimera globals half my health should I turn around and get a quick heal on the pet. My concern is that it takes 1/3 of my runes and doesn't do much.

So how about that blood presence? I hit it at the start against rmp and thug cleave so I lessen damage on the opener but that's the extent of it. Is it a good idea to hit it when my healer is in cc and I don't have ibf? Like ds it doesn't seem to do much and wastes some potential pressure.

To recap:
    When should I deathstrike?
    When should I go blood presence?
    Any other tips and tricks.

Thanks,
    Frozen
    Last edited by Hellscreamqt; 04-16-2012 at 12:02 AM.

DirtyClamJam is on a distinguished road
    My first tip is this, never ever ever let a hunter start the match with aimed shot + Chimera shot... it just hits too hard and it can definatly be avoided. Los the hunter until until your rogue is in position to cheap shot him out of camo... this relieves so much pressure from the opener it's definatly worth doing. Second i'd recomend taking Tosan's advice, "The best defence is a good offence." Honestly this is some of the best advice i've gotten from someone to improve my WoW play, i play Spriest and i used to always heal myself as much as possible thinking i was improving my chances of winning, meanwhile i was doing the complete opposite... once i started trusting my partner and using my globals on those lovely 35-40k mind blasts instead of a 7k heal, i was finally able to start pushing 2k. i reccomend the same thing in this case, instead of using 1/3 of ur runes on a 5k(?) heal.. use them for pressure... make the other team feel like they need to play defensive, you will be much more effective in the arena this way.

sorry for the long post, hope it helped!

P.S. this is coming from a barely 2k rated Spriest to take what you will from it, if you feel like something is totally wrong i'd trust your judgment over mine xD

murrkk is on a distinguished road
    Make sure you are using frenzy on your shaman against comps that can easily cc him. It will get him out of poly, hunter trap, scatter shot, ect. With Earth Shield + Riptide up, you and your shaman are able to rotate cds without overlapping them. Also, your playing with , arguably one of the best peeling classes in the game. Don't rush into a kill. You can easily go from being defensive to getting a kill in a matter of seconds if you swap correctly/fast enough.

Now to answer your questions:

1. Death striking is all up to you. It, like you said, uses up your runes very quickly. Pillaring and death striking things like pets, mirror images, or elementals can be good if your healer is stuck in cc.

2. Blood presence is very useful for rmp, thug cleave, and sometimes jungle cleave openers. It's definitely not ideal to sit in blood presence the whole game though.

Ok, thank you both for your help. I've tried going more offensive in games which is working pretty well. I've also started coordinating cds better with my sham. Here's my latest issue though. I like to use my ams as my first cd if there is a caster somewhere in their comp. The problem is I then get into this gray zone about 20 seconds later when my shaman can't keep me up for whatever reason and it looks like I'm about to die. I am then faced with the question of whether or not to lich heal to stay up since pet sac just doesn't seem to cut it. Generally if my life hits 20k I hit LB cuz that's the point where I get one shotted way too often.
    So the question then becomes should I save my ams for a bit later when I can get the most effective lich heal or should I use ams early when my health starts to spike and run the risk of having to do some really crappy lich healing 15 seconds before I get my ams. The logical answer seems to me to be "well just wait 15 seconds" but as I mentioned before, I have this tendency to die there.

AlmaBeoulve is an unknown quantity at this point
    Use AMS later. Let your healer tell you if you need to AMS right away, but you shouldn't have to unless its RMP or Double Mage Healer. Just pillar and wait it out.

Alright, I kinda assume that the best ams use against mages is when my sham can't get me out of a nova before the shatter

Zeraveth is on a distinguished road
    Remember you have several ways to interupt a mage's shatter. From Strangulate, to deathgrip, to pet leap, pet stun, IBF on a freeze, a zone etc. Try to use the lichborne+ams as a last option. Least that's what I got best experience with.