+ Reply to Thread

Mallagar is on a distinguished road

Why are there so few hunters in top RBG teams?

Hunters are an amazing class, that I feel do so well in Random Battlegrounds but upon looking at the top Rated Battleground players on all US servers, I noticed that there isn't even a single Hunter in the top 200 RBG players. The closest I found was player Arrowsoftime at 264, currently. Also, there's currently only 84 hunters in the top 2000(w/ 3211 results; many players in ties) RBG players in the US. All of the other classes have about 300 to 400+ players in the top 2000. DK's being the next lowest at 296 players currently. Every other class, except hunter, is represented in the top 11 slots currently.

Will someone please explain to me the reasoning behind this? Is it lack of utility as compared to other classes? Is it lack of dps? What is it that hunters are missing that's keeping them from being top players in RBGs? Am I asking the right questions here? Will someone please shed some light on this for me? Thanks....

Rogueqt is on a distinguished road
    I don't really play RBGs so take this with a grain of salt but besides for guarding flags it would be better to have another class. RBGs are ruled by casters hunters just cannot compete with them in damage. When you watch the top RBG teams stream they definitely have a comp set up like spriest, fire mage, lock, boomkin, frost mage. They like very bursty or good aoe damage classes and besides for aimed shot chimera shot initial burst we are really not very bursty. Hunters are good solo classes which makes them fun in random bgs but in RBGs you have strategies and healers to count on. You could just leave a prot warrior to guard a flag or a stealthed class hunters to not have an incredible nitch in the flag guarding department because another class could do it although hunters do make good flag defenders.
    Last edited by Rogueqt; 04-27-2012 at 01:33 PM.

7 8 9

Tika is on a distinguished road
    not enough aoe dmg, but no worries we're going to get a new ability in MOP: Beastcleave!

ThugnificentOG is on a distinguished road
    Hey I noticed the same thing too today

(Im a top .05% (2x) RBG, take from my comment what you will)

The past two season were good for hunters in RBGs because we were needed for AB and Gilneas to watch the flags alone because of our pets we were able to survive a 2 on 1 for quite a bit of time allowing our teammates to come help us and most likely we would be the cause for winning the game. Not to mention in CTF maps our burst and CC were awesome and if we were on defense again we had incredible CCs and we killed targets fairly quickly.

With this new season (well not really so new now) we were not needed so much, why you ask? The resilience change allowed for more people to stack damage trinkets (especially humans) but even non humans too, instead of needing the extra resilience. A few weeks in to the season people started noticing A.) how much damage a legendary staff could do and B.) How much damage cunning of the cruel could do. As a result people started creating the ever so loevely "dot cleave" team. If you take a look at the leader boards (even in arenas) all the top players either have A.) The legendary staff or B.) Cunning of the Cruel. If you have ever truly faced a good dot cleave team you would lose any CTF in under 7 mins (unless you knew how to counter with 2 priests mass dispelling and your pally dispells the UA silences, but lets pretend your team doesnt) youre fucked.

BTW that arrows guy got carried and or piloted, look as his gear, he would be torn apart before he got to the 2.2k rating let alone 2500.

Like Tika had said, MOP hunters seem to do a lot more AoE damage but lets not forget this season is all about the PVE gear teams, in MoP they are taking away all the benefits of PVE gear and making it that much more beneficial to use the PVP gear instead of PVP. It will be interesting to see how the dot cleaves will do with their reduced damage in the future.

Hope this explains a lot.

Thug

xuxa is on a distinguished road
    Because they just don't really do anything. You can decent single target damage, but that's not what RBG teams want. They want pure aids dot damage that's unhealable. What ever CC you do will likely get broken by said dots as well. The only thing Hunters shine at is defending nodes, and most teams will designate the Prot Warrior to do that.

Bazsu
    Anyone gave SV a try in dot cleaves? I've been trying today and at least in random BGs multi shot + serpent sting did quite decent damage. Or is it too clunky to use in RBGs?