+ Reply to Thread

Rugmouse will become famous soon enough

Arena Pass Realm Dead?

So, my friends and I fired up WoW last night to push our Arena Pass rating, after taking a little break for some Diablo 3. I hadn't actually logged into WoW since Diablo came out, so I was expecting to get absolutely destroyed for a while until I got the hang of things again.

Turns out, we did really well and only lost a couple of games all night. Granted, our communication seemed to be really strong last night, and I actually felt like my awareness was pretty top notch (maybe the little break did some good for me). I just felt like the teams we were facing were playing at MMRs well above where they should have been. I looked at the ladders this morning, and we are currently 145th on the Arena realm...which really doesn't make sense, given our modest 1946 rating.

We played several teams multiple times last night, which I found strange, given we were on a dedicated arena server. So did everybody just give up on WoW for now or what? Iím having a hard time believing I can come back to WoW after a 2-week break and all of a sudden be a top 150 arena player (on the TR). Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we were able to have some success last night, and that might be just due to whom we were playing (luck). I'm just surprised at how easily that extra boost in rating came. The majority of our matches were in the 1950 to 2100 (top 60 teams? LOL) MMR range.

Asset is an unknown quantity at this point
    wow is slowing dying and now with summer fast coming. I thought you will see a the same turn out, again.

Arduous is on a distinguished road
    Well another thing to consider is the arena pass realm was designed to help you find partners and arena enthusiasts. However the top tier people already have partners and contacts to get new ones if need be, they also probably did the minimum games to get the pet/Vanquisher title. Also with the pass realm being S9 it doesn't help practicing there rather than live all that much. Kind of like playing Arena Football to practice for the NFL, it will help the fundamentals but it isn't the same.

Rugmouse will become famous soon enough
    I agree...but honestly it is pretty sad that the AP realm ladder is already as stagnant as live ladders. I signed up for the pass to get some exposure to different arena partners (one of which being a fellow skill-capped member...woot!) for some outside ideas and strategies that could be used to help my live arena team. Early on, when the server first came up, this absolutely was the case. We ran into a wide variety of comps, and the competition was great (we even ran into quite a few gladiator teams climbing the ladders, which I actually find fun).

Now that we are a few weeks in, it seems we keep playing the same teams over and over again, and the matches are very much lopsided (our last session, the opposing teams did not seem to have the experience we had...despite have similar MMRs). You can’t really learn much when you aren’t challenged. To make matters worse, my live team has been sidelined by Diablo 3 and my Shaman’s lack of income =(

I guess I am just in denial in terms of the current state of this game. I'm absolutely loving improving and developing into a semi-decent PVP player. I just wish I wasn't (seemingly) the only one.

You know things are bad when you are on an all-arena server and people are spamming:

“STOP STANDING AROUND AND QUEUE 3V3!”

Arduous is on a distinguished road
    Yeah most people are taking a break before MoP or as you said obsessed with D3 lol. On a side note something that occurred to me is this: How do these top tier players network with other players so easily? They seem to have a stable of partners ready and willing at a moment's notice, it'd be interesting to get a few takes on this from past and present Gladiators. I may post it in content request later.