+ Reply to Thread

cowermortal is on a distinguished road

destruction lock pvp guide

content
    talents
    glyphs
    burst

Talents
    In the first row of talents take dark regen for its helpful healing combined with healthstone (glyphed)
    In the second row get mortal coil as it helps you insta fear and heal for 15%
    In the third row get dark bargain it will absorb all the damage received for 8s which helps healing you faster
    In the fourth row get blood fear, unlike mortal coil it consumes a little bit of your heal and insta fearing which will be changed in 5.2 to being a buff for 10s and fearing any one who attacks you
    In the fifth get grimore of sacrifice which heals you for 2% of your hp every 5s and increases the critical strike of your chaos bolt
    In the sixth row and the last get Kil'jaeden's cunning which helps you cast while moving (passive slows you a tad bit ) casted can cast while moving for 6s

Glyphs
    Major:
    Glyph of Burning Embers:Increases your maximum Burning Embers by 1
    Glyph of siphon Life: your immolate spell heals you for 20% of dmg dealt
    Glyph of Healthstone:You receive 100% more healing from using a healthstone, but the health is restored over 10 sec

Minor(fun glyphs)
    Glyph of soulwell:makes a glowing circle under it
    Glyph of verdant spheres:makes orb float above your shoulder (number of embers)

Burst:

your main spell that should always be on an enemy target are: immolate and Curse of the Elements
    and then you keep dealing normal damage (Incinerate) until you get at least 2-3 embers by then you should pop your burst macro /cast Dark Soul: Instability /use (pvp trinkets name here)
    then just chaos bolt>Conflagrate>fel flame>chaos bolt>(if bellow 20% hp) Shadowburn if he is not dead by then then you need gear chaos bolt hit really high 100k+ (with good gear) Shadowburn is a 100% finisher it always hits 150k+ for me

hope you liked it tell me if it ever helped/helps you have fun wowing http://www.youtube.com/insertgems
    Last edited by cowermortal; 02-04-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Kenny is an unknown quantity at this point
    Please explain why burst is not e.g. Chaos bolt x 2 +shadowburn?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Please explain why burst is not e.g. Chaos bolt x 2 +shadowburn?
    chaos bolt hit really high Shadowburn is a 100% finisher it always hits 150k+

Lenxa is on a distinguished road
    Overall good guide but I think some pointers might be missing out there that could be added or should be looked at as well.

First of all: In the second talent tier I think that all of the talents are respectable and very strong choices. It all depends on if you're playing 2s or 3s and if you need the big aoe ccs or not in your comp. For example, if you run with a shadowpriest, using shadowfury might be the best choice since it wont DR with anything that the priest has. So on and so forth with other comps, I think you get the deal.

Second: I don't think choosing GroSac is such an obvious choice in 3s. Very often the enemy team will try to sit on a caster if they get the chance to, and warlocks aren't in their strongest position defensively, which makes for a very good target. This makes me consider GroSup and SacPact instead of GroSac and Dark Bargain since this will give you a nice shield every minute and if you're cced, your pet can still throw out its own ccs while you're in it. This became a much more valid option when Chaos Bolt didn't get the 25% damage at the hit anymore, but over 3 seconds instead. So I think you can go both ways here really, depends on how good you are at controlling your pet and how much your damage is actually needed.

Third and last: I wouldn't say Siphon Life is the only choice for a third glyph as a Destro Warlock. I personally go with Glyph of Conflagrate since it really helps with slowing the enemy team down without needing the immolate buff up on your target. The Siphon life is nice as well, but I think having a slow at any time is really nice especially vs heavy melee cleaves.

Answer to Kennys question:

I sometimes do this kind of combo, but it really depends on how much damage you need vs how much time you have. If you can cast 2 chaos bolts freely without worry then go for it, no questions asked it's the best burst we have right now. But having slow/some instant in between can make that chip damage that can give you the kill in the end and especially if you have conflag ready you could definitely use it to your advantage by giving yourself the 30% haste for your next Chaos Bolt. I personally prefer to put CC's into my burst chain to make sure I get the kill when I know I have a good oppurtunity. For example:

Conflagrate -> Blood Fear -> Pop cds -> Chaos Bolt -> Coil/sfury/howl/silence (depends on situation) -> Next chaos bolt -> Blood Fear -> Finish Him!

This can work out really great and is an easy way to kill paladins/druids without defensives left. Just cycle your ccs while bursting them to the ground and you will make sure it's a kill! Hope this gave you some insight on why Chaos Bolt x2 -> Shadow Burn isn't always the best option

gpechie is on a distinguished road
    what is the best double mortal coil havoc macro? I hate having to manually cast it...lose about 2 globals

Quote Originally Posted by gpechie View Post
    what is the best double mortal coil havoc macro? I hate having to manually cast it...lose about 2 globals

i can do alot of macros like havoc Focus target or havoc arena enemy 1/2

/cast [target=focus] havoc

it will not switch targets or

/cast [@arena1] havoc
    /cast [@arena2] havoc

but just to be clear they have to both be in line of sight,
    your talking about having to manually click targets try using macros like /tar [@arena1] i have it bound to 'E' and tag2 'shift E' this will help you alot because sometimes your focus targ is a stealthy which i really hate sou you can target him>havoc then target your other target and coil by not even using the mouse.

Volkkor is on a distinguished road
    Lenxa began to point some of this out already. But I'll add a bit of incite as well.

This may be more personal opinion than anything, but I disagree with the majority of this.

Talents
    In the first row of talents take dark regen for its helpful healing combined with healthstone (glyphed)
    In the second row get mortal coil as it helps you insta fear and heal for 15%
    In the third row get dark bargain it will absorb all the damage received for 8s which helps healing you faster
    In the fourth row get blood fear, unlike mortal coil it consumes a little bit of your heal and insta fearing which will be changed in 5.2 to being a buff for 10s and fearing any one who attacks you
    In the fifth get grimore of sacrifice which heals you for 2% of your hp every 5s and increases the critical strike of your chaos bolt
    In the sixth row and the last get Kil'jaeden's cunning which helps you cast while moving (passive slows you a tad bit ) casted can cast while moving for 6s
    Dark regen I agree with. Definitely the best choice out of the first tier.

Second tier is a toss up and very situational. I preferably prefer Shadowfury. However depending on what class's you are running with, Mortal Coil or Howl of Terror could be great replacements. Personally, unless you're running with a stun heavy/dependent class (warrior, rogue, fire mage) I would pick Shadow fury. If you are playing with one of those class's, Mortal coil would prolly be my second choice, depending on who I'm going up against. If you are going up against a team that has alot of fear immunities (warriors, dks) go Mortal Coil. If you are going up against a team where you will need to peel alot of targets (hunter popping stampede) Howl may be the better choice. If none of these factors are there.... Go for the one that best fits your playstyle. They're all great choices.

Dark bargain tends to sound alot more obvious than it really is. When you first look at it, you think HOLY SHIT LOCKS GOT A PALLY BUBBLE!!!... However its not quite as great as it sounds. While yes you go immune to damage for a few seconds making it a huge life saver in many situations, once it ends, half that damage is applied as a dot on you. With as hard class's hit these days, its easy for them to make this dot do well 300k damage over 12 seconds, and thats on the low side depending on how hard they switched to you. Now when this affect ends, not only do they have all their usual burst they are tunneling into you, but they have 50% of the burst they already used against you earlier helping them out. This is going to severally strain your healer. If they can keep up with it at all.

Based off going the GoSac route, I still wouldn't pick Dark Bargain. I'd either go Soul link for the extra health (sacing a pet with soul link will give you approximately 75k more health) or my personal choice Sacrificial pact. Most would say, sacrificial pact is a poor choice if you're using GoSac. Sacrificial pact will take half of your pets or your health (if you don't have a pet out) and create a bubble around you for 200% of the sacrificed life. So if you do not have a pet out, and you use this at full health and you have 400k health, you will get a 400k shield, while being brought down to 200k health. Your pets have about 150k health, sacing against them will give about 150k shield if they were at full health. Now this brings us to why people would vote against this choice using GoSac. Using GoSac you don't have your pet out. So using this ability will cause you to lose a fair amount of health when ever you do it. Yes, this sounds HORRIBLE. But much like the dark bargain choice, looks can be deceiving. If you are at 400k health, yes using this will drop you to 200k health, however its giving you a 400k shield. Now if you see 2 opponents are about to swap to you, they are obviously going to come at you with more than 200k burst. They may easily connect on you with 500k burst, now this just takes some simple math. if they attack you with 500k burst and you have 400k health, well... ur dead bro. However if you sacrificed 200k for a 400k shield, this essentially gave you 600k health during this swap... grats bro you're alive with 100k health /cheer!

Not to mention you could always use Flames of Xoroth to pull your pet out to sac him then just GoSac him again. thats a 150k shield every minute for the cost of 1 ember. SUCK ON THAT MAGES! *** There's actually alot of really cool crafty shit you can do with Flames of Xoroth. I may make a thread on this at a later time

Fourth Tier time! I am very ANTI blood fear. Glad its being taken away in 5.2 (well being changed to a point that its useless... aka being taken away). If you chose this until that time, I wouldn't disagree with you. It is fairly OP, and helps alot with being trained. But annoys the absolute hell out of me when I really need to get a double fear off, or need to spam fears to peel off a flag carrier in an RBG, ect. Burning rush tends to do more harm than good. Even with the upcomming changes to it in 5.2, I don't feel its worth killing yourself, to get away from someone. Many other ways of getting away that don't cause you to damage yourself in the process. My personal choice is Unbound will. Basically a PVP trinket at the cost of 20% of your health. Clearly not something you are gonna use all the time, but is incredibly useful in alot of situations. Say for instance you are out of defensive cooldowns, your trinket is on cooldown and you get caught in a stun at 50% health and your healer is CC'd... Odds are, you're going down. But with unbound will, you'll be able to hop out of the stun, get a well placed shadowfury off, and kite away till your healer is out of their CC.

Currently, I'd say its an even toss up between unbound will and blood fear. Come 5.2, Unbound will is the Obvious choice in my opinion.

Tier 5. All are great to be honest. I personally go for GoSac, cause, well, I like big numbers and my gear blows. GoSup is awesome, especially if you are using sacrificial pact cause it makes for a stronger shield. The other choice ( drawing a blank at what its called at the moment, gives you another pet) is also very useful. Double spell locks, double suduce, more dps from pet during burst, you name it, its a great choice! You really can't go wrong here. Pick what fits your playstyle.

For our final tier. We have a couple great choices. I personally use to use Manaroths Fury for awhile. It's great for getting stealth out, and even greater for building embers (espeicially in bgs). Lately I've been using Cunning. The ability to follow your target while they are piller humping is great. It can be odd to get used to at first. And you may find yourself getting interrupted alot. This is easily corrected with some /stopcasting macroes. I got one tied into my Shadowfury and my Shadowburn. It helps alot. And makes it really easy to fake cast. Alot more obvious than the old days of jumping. The other choice (once again drawing a blank) never been impressed with the amount of damage it does to the opponent when they are damaging me. Doesn't really seem like 25% to me. and the passive is incredibly weak. Typically just hitting them for a few hundred... Cunning is by far my choice at the moment. Wouldn't blame you for picking fury though.

Volkkor is on a distinguished road
    Glyphs
    Major:
    Glyph of Burning Embers:Increases your maximum Burning Embers by 1
    Glyph of siphon Life: your immolate spell heals you for 20% of dmg dealt
    Glyph of Healthstone:You receive 100% more healing from using a healthstone, but the health is restored over 10 sec

Minor(fun glyphs)
    Glyph of soulwell:makes a glowing circle under it
    Glyph of verdant spheres:makes orb float above your shoulder (number of embers)
    And now for glyphs:

Theres not alot decent picks here for destro, but there are some great ones.

What I personally use is Conflag (allows you to daze the target without immolate being on the target) Great for kiting, and Highly essential for any destro lock IMO. Conflag is probably our best pick. I also use Soul corruption (20% health when you kill a target with chaos bolt). This is great for when you're double chaos bolting by using havoc. Havoc the low health target, chaos bolt ur high health target and get a free heal for 20% of your health (about 80kish for me in current gear). And as of lately I've been using the instability glyph, (gives you 10% of the buff passively). I did this simply cause in my current gear I wasn't satisified with my crit. I will eventually be replacing this with the upcoming Glyph of Ember Tap. This is being added in 5.2 and is REDICULOUS!!! It basically works the same way as Glyph of health stone, but also buff your ember tap. Making it heal for an extra 5% but makes it a dot. Sounds almost like a nerf at first, however it stacks. So if you have 4 embers (passive in 5.2, making the glyph of embers pretty useless...) You can spam ember tap 4 times and get one hell of a HoT ticking on you. I've seen videos of this being used where the total heal (when combined with soul link and GoSac) was over 650k healing over 10 seconds. And thats not counting Dark regen and Health stone.

Other great glyphs to use:
    Health stone (doubles the heal, makes it a hot). This is great when macroed in to Dark Regen!
    Glyph of teleport, Always nice to have a few seconds knocked off an escape method
    Glyph of embers. Although this is becoming passive in 5.2, its not a horrible choice currently.
    Glyph of demon training. If you run double pet with succubus, or GoSup with the improved succubus, this is almost a must have! Makes it so you remove dots when suducing/mezmerizing. Also has alot of other great useful effects that I can't think of off the top of my head.
    Cowermortal mentioned Siphon Life... I've always found the heal from this to be far to minute to really use. Maybe if we got 4 glyph choices, but the heal is just too small for me to really consider. Think the most I ever saw it heal for was 4k. This may be useful in RBG's if you have immolate on several targets. Not sure how that scales though. Something I'd have to do some testing with and see what kind of health flow we could get out of it. But even in that situation, I don't see it being game changing in anyway.

Minor Glyphs:
    Nightmare is really the only one that really does anything. It gives you the ability to ride your mount across water. Great for several of the bg maps (twin peaks, Gilneas, ect).
    Cowermortal mentions Verdent Spheres. While this is pretty cool looking from time to time. I wouldn't use it. Theres no reason to broadcast to your opponent that you have full embers and are about to unleash hell into them.
    All the rest just do stuff like change the color of your banish... Pick what you want.

canolelover is on a distinguished road
    Very informing thread thank you