+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

borgriot

Haste breakpoints> Mastery Stack Affliction Priority

I know that Affliction locks or maybe just locks in general are stacking Mastery. However the 6637 Haste breakpoint for the extra tick of UA in addition to benefiting pets is easily obtainable, weighting mastery higher only after. Wondering why locks arent even attempting to obtain that. I dont know that Mastery is weighted too much more highly than Haste or at all until that breakpoint is reached.

Personally feels stronger with the additional benefits on your fear casts.

Would also make me question attempting the next breakpoint with the Dark Soul glyph at higher gear level.

Would like some thoughts on this. Havnt got down to sim any of it. Just initial feel and thoughts.
    Last edited by borgriot; 06-04-2013 at 12:51 AM.

borgriot
    Simming a walrock gemmed fully into Mastery v.s. one that is at a 21.40% (Dark Soul Glyph)Haste Breakpoint (+2 Corr, +3 Agony, +2 UA) Ticks is a 800dps Difference.

Other Lower Haste breakpoints can be achieved without the DS Glyph and is still right on par with Mastery.

91356 DPS Full Mastery
    v.s.
    90502 DPS @ 21.40 Haste Breakpoint

This is a fully Tyranical Lock v.s. my Malev/Tyranical Lock.

Again. With the reduced cast times of UA + Fear, I dont see how Gemming PURE Mastery is such a huge advantage over a Haste Breakpoint.
    Last edited by borgriot; 06-04-2013 at 12:52 AM.

borgriot
    Ok. Full Tyranical numbers.

DPS
    Haste - 90948 @ 21.4% Haste Breakpoint
    vs
    Mastery - 91018

70dps?

Not a whole lot of participation in the Lock forums here. But again, I don't see how Mastery outweighs Haste at all.

Haste Affecting:
    Faster Fears
    Faster UA's
    Faster/ More Malefic Grasp Ticks
    Faster / More Drain Soul Ticks
    2 Additional UA Ticks
    2 Additional Agony Ticks
    2 Additional Corruption Ticks
    More NightFall Procs
    More Pet Dmg
    ?

Mastery Affecting:
    3 DoT's Damage
    Last edited by borgriot; 06-06-2013 at 01:47 AM.

Krosith is on a distinguished road
    Because additional ticks aren't quite as important as stronger ticks in PvP. Granted, in PvE, over the course of a boss fight those extra ticks really add up. But sacrificing a flat-out percentage of damage increase on -all- of your DoTs, just to get -one- extra tick on what would be a weaker DoT (due to the sacrifice of Mastery for Haste in order to reach that break-point) is simply not worth it. Not to mention, that extra tick is worthless if any sort of de-curse or damage immunity is used prior to the damage plateau of the DoT, which would replicate the additional tick, in which you would be cheating yourself on damage. Additionally, that Haste Break-Point only benefits -some- of your DoTs, to a certain (and small) degree. Mastery is just a raw damage increase, all around. Malefic Grasp is our main filler when we can free-cast, replacing the very purpose of that Haste Break-Point; it forces our DoTs to tick more frequently.

Mastery simply accounts for much more damage than Haste.

*Further-more, unlike what SimCraft would suggest, RBGs, Arenas, and PvP in general are not the same thing as a boss fight, where you can maintain a 100% up-time on Malefic Grasp, with more frequent Soul Shard procs, and more benefit to Dark Soul, without being CCed, not accounting for Line-of-Sight, disregarding defensive play, ignoring time spent CC-chaining your opponent, neglecting use of Fel Flame.
    Last edited by Krosith; 06-06-2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention everything beyond the Asterisk(*).

borgriot
    So where are people getting the numbers for Mastery being superior at?

Volkkor is on a distinguished road
    It's not a dps superiority. It's a burst superiority. Dots get purged, so you don't get the full length of damage out of them, so it's more beneficial to have them ticking harder rather than faster.

Fizion
    Does the two extra ticks of UA add to its dispel damage component?

Dieze is on a distinguished road
    Mastery also makes the dispel component do more damage. For me I prefer mastery > haste because when I Use Cd's to align with my partners I would rather do more damage per tick.

zendoespvp is on a distinguished road
    It seems to me that dps isn't the end-all consideration in pvp. It's just that it's easier to quantify than other significant elements. For example:

if the difference in Fear cast time is the difference between peeling an attacker before he hits you or your partner vs. after, the damage mitigation to you/your partner has zero to do with dps, but may be the difference between a big chunk of damage, or a stun/fear/root, etc. to your team... which could make the difference between a win and a loss.

People do this sort of over-simplification all the time because it's easy. We like easy. Like Henry Ford used to say,

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is why so few engage in it."
    I'm not insulting anyone by sharing that quote. All I'm doing is illustrating that there may be a solid advantage to the faster casts, and that it isn't measurable in terms of dps.

Food for thought, eh?