+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Very new to Destruction Warlock and PVP

Was told to get this sight to learn more. I did but I am lost in here looking for what I need.
    I mean right from the beginning stuff.
    Everything from setting focus to using macros ( then using them). Any help would be awesome ( as in spell it out ) I must be dumber than I thought.

I do well in BG's, Horrible in arenas. I can CC but can hardly DPS at the same time.
    I am all over the board and don't really contribute to any arena battle I have been in.

Thanks for any help

Fluxpavilion is on a distinguished road
    Reroll affliction before u get to attached to destro as this patch hasn't been to kind and next is even worse.
    Simple macros to get u started:
    For set focus use: /focus arena1, /focus arena2, /focus arena3.
    To fear ur focus target: /cast [target=focus] fear
    To use current pet ability on focus (ie pet silence): /cast [target=focus] command demon

joebrodude is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclgazpacho View Post
    Was told to get this sight to learn more. I did but I am lost in here looking for what I need.
    I mean right from the beginning stuff.
    Everything from setting focus to using macros ( then using them). Any help would be awesome ( as in spell it out ) I must be dumber than I thought.

I do well in BG's, Horrible in arenas. I can CC but can hardly DPS at the same time.
    I am all over the board and don't really contribute to any arena battle I have been in.

Thanks for any help
    what are you having trouble with in arenas? being focused? getting casts off? I agree with flux you should try rolling affliction as in 5.4 it will be our most viable setup. To help with being trained make sure your making use of ports/gateway.

Also with demonic howl baseline in 5.4 you will have more cc which will be nice also for peeling off of you

Thanks for the info: I am going to stick with Destro though, I tried Affliction for a day, just could not get into it. I will keep looking through all these videos .. I have found some stuff I need right now for starters. Please keep posting if you think of anything a beginner in Arenas should know as a lock

Kenny is an unknown quantity at this point
    I almost can't imagine how hard it would be to be new to the game...there is so much facts to take in.

Do you for example know about diminishing returns and schools? Or the difference between a silence and an interrupt?

Destro-wise, do you know about the different pets, pet modes (like passive), and how to control them?

Do you know about gap closers and gap extenders and their cooldowns? The difference between a snare and a root?

Maybe this is basic to you, but for me, there was a lot to take in in the beginning.

And still I am confused about what rets and enhancements can do at range, still so much to learn

Abnormal is on a distinguished road
    positioning. simple as that. destro is faceroll to play, keep imolate up, conflag for snare (if you dont have glyph you have to have imolate on them for the snare) and also for the backdraft proc. build up embers usually 3 is good 4 is better for chaos bolts and dont forget to use havoc just helps put on pressure on other players. affliction is just dot everyone but if you dont keep on top if it you will really lose out on some damage and pressure. also affliction is a little harder to learn because of soulswap, soulburn and curses. you have a lot of down time when you have full dots on people you can malfleic grasp but i like to use this time to fear, peel, repositon. lock is really hard to learn, imo, or for me at least. ive been playing my lock for about 2 years now have some great games and some really bad ones. but ive always been a rogue at heart <3

but yea you should totatly go affliction its the best and only real warlock spec
    Last edited by Abnormal; 07-11-2013 at 12:34 AM.
    swag

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I almost can't imagine how hard it would be to be new to the game...there is so much facts to take in.

Do you for example know about diminishing returns and schools? Or the difference between a silence and an interrupt?

Destro-wise, do you know about the different pets, pet modes (like passive), and how to control them?

Do you know about gap closers and gap extenders and their cooldowns? The difference between a snare and a root?

Maybe this is basic to you, but for me, there was a lot to take in in the beginning.

And still I am confused about what rets and enhancements can do at range, still so much to learn
    WOW basicly know none of that

OK I am going to give Affliction another shot. .. But I feel all messed up. None of it feels right. maybe because of spec and not knowing? Half the time I have no idea what dots im using or if I am doing any damage at all. Even in BG's im like last in dps now.

Kenny is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclgazpacho View Post
    WOW basicly know none of that
    I found this glossary on http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/07/18/a-...olloquialisms/, try learn some Words or look back here when there is something you do not understand.

Some of it is not just lingo, but rather describes some important game mechanics.

blanket/silence A silence debuff, something that prevents an opponent from casting. "Blanketing Priest!"
    block, blocked use of a mage ice block
    burst High damage applied over a short period of time.
    BoP Short for Blessing of Protection, the old name for Hand of Protection. "BoP-ing you."
    cap Short for capture. If your team have just killed the EFC, they may be shouting "Cap!" a lot in chat.
    chain (CC) A chain of CC; using different CC abilities to keep a player's character out of their control for as long as possible.
    cleave team A team with two DPSers and a healer.
    cloned Short for Cycloned.
    comp The class makeup or composition of an Arena team, such as we've discussed at length above.
    CC or crowd control Spells and abilities that limit an opponent's ability to control their character.
    CS Short for Counterspell. "I'm CS-ed."
    deep Short for Deep Freeze. "I'm deeped!"
    dispel removal of a buff or debuff, can be used to refer to enemies or friendly targets
    DR Short for diminishing returns; CC is subject to diminishing returns, so as you cast it repeatedly the CC time is progressively shorter until the opponent is temporarily immune to your CC. After that, it is reset.
    fake casting, faked, faking Stopping a spellcast before it completes to trick an opponent into wasting their interrupt.
    farming Repeatedly beating the same team and gaining points or rating. "We farmed that RMP."
    FC/EFC Flag carrier or enemy flag carrier in a Battleground.
    full Refers to CC. "I'm sheeped, full" or "Full sheep on priest" means that the sheep in question is not subject to DR and is a full-length sheep.
    ganking Killing someone in world PvP, normally from stealth or somehow unexpectedly. Suggests an advantage on the attacker's side.
    global/nuke To kill an opponent extremely quickly.
    griefing Using world PvP to your (usually unfair) advantage to make another player's game time unpleasant.
    interrupt Any ability which forces a school lockout. Pummel, Kick, Counterspell.
    juking, juke, juked Stopping a spellcast before it completes to trick an opponent into wasting their interrupt. "He juked my kick."
    kick Interrupt "Kicking shaman!" "I'm kicked!"
    kite To limit an opponent's damage by keeping out of his range of offensive abilities, usually employing snares, roots and slows.
    LoS, LoSing Using line of sight to avoid damage or other abilities being used on you. "LoS that hunter, I can't keep you up."
    opener The abilities or spells with which you start or open a game.
    MD Mass Dispel
    NS Short for Nature's Swiftness, an ability that allows druids and shaman to cast their next cast-time cast instantly. "I'm NS-ing you." Usually used for an instant heal.
    peeling Using crowd control to keep opponents from attacking your teammates. "I need a peel."
    pillar humping A defensive strategy that involves avoiding the opponent by moving around or behind pillars.
    reset Trying to regain health and mana so that a game is essentially returned to how it was at the start.
    sheep Polymorph.
    switch Change targets to take advantage of poor positioning. Usually needs to happen at great speed. "Switching shaman, hard!"
    train All members of the same team attacking the same target.
    trinket Use a trinket that frees your character from CC, roots, silences, etc. "I can't believe he trinketed my Sap."
    tunnel All members of the same team attacking the same target.
    turtle Playing defensively. Games where both teams turtle are incredibly boring!
    UA Unstable Affliction -- a warlock DoT which does damage and causes a short silence when dispelled.
    win trading Two or more teams working together to gain an advantage through the Arena or Rated Battleground queue system. Win trading is against WoW's Terms of Service.
    zerg Playing on the extreme aggressive as a group. A tactic used necessarily by triple DPS arena comps.

Fluxpavilion is on a distinguished road
    If u want to stay destro, jump on YouTube and subscribe to Cobrak, awesome destro lock who posts ALOT of arena/guides/ptr videos and answers a lot of questions. As for affliction, which unfortunately at this stage seems to b the only viable or worthwhile spec, jump on twitch and what azeal when he streams.
    In bgs/rbgs destro trumps all specs as far as I'm concerned, rain of fire everything, and havoc double chaos bolts into the crowd and u should easily top dmg