+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    Thank you all for all your help. I have now learned that I have a HUGE problem in my game play.. I was a Clicker. What a learning curve going back to hot keys. So on top of learning Warlock, learning the Affliction spec, I now have another issue. HA!
    Hot keys for focusing targets and Arena? Since I am learning hot keys, I guess I should through that in too. I have watched the videos on this. Still a little confused. Arena targeting... HOW do you know who is who? Does arena targeting work in BGs?
    I have now bought a new Naga mouse so have more key binds and I use them for spells. But don't want to get too use to this if its WRONG. .. like clicking.
    I have even gone as far as Rolling another Warlock to learn it again from the ground up. .. Hoping that it translates to my lvl 90... which I am still using in Dungeons and day to day play to stay fresh daily... getting use to not clicking in a non PVP situation.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,311
    Rep Power
    17
    Hovah will become famous soon enough
    You've embarked on a great journey =). I have to say you have already passed the most difficult hurdle though, and that is your willingness to change how you play. In fact, the Naga revolutionized how I play WoW and has been instrumental in any success I've had in this game. Keybinding itself is entirely personal but there are a few tips that have really helped me. But first, to answer a few questions you have, the arena targeting macros do not work outside of arena, but can be quite helpful. I dont use arena targeting macros but I do use arena cc macros, so that I ensure my CC hits my desired targets. Arena targets are designated by their descending order. So the top of your arena frames is arena 1, next arena2, etc. Because arena macros work only in arena, I utilize focus macros extensively as well. To help with this I definitely advise getting acclimated to modifiers (shift, alt, and ctrl.) These will allow you to put multiple abilities on one key so say I press "1" and it will fear my target, but if I press "1" while holding down shift, I will cast shadow bolt. Not that I suggest using those together but just as examples. This ties into a keybinding tip I wanted to touch on, and this is how you set up your abilities. With the use of macros and modifiers I try to keep my abilities as organized as possible. So, lets say I have fear set to 1, I will have shift 1 be my focus fear and ctrl 1 as my mouseover fear, or something like that. This wayI know where my fear is, and just pressing shift I can fear my focus target without even targeting him. Another tip is to utilize your mouse wheel as a keybinding. I have all my arena target cc assigned to my mousewheel. So any cc cast at arena 1 will be (shift, ctrl, alt, or no modifer) mouse wheel up, arena 2 is mouse wheel depress, and arena 3 is mousewheel down with modifiers as well. Hope this helps and if you have any follow up or want anything clarified and I'll be happy to help any way I can. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Hovah; 07-23-2013 at 03:51 PM.

  3. #13
    Hovah, good stuff... just what I am looking for. I just finished watching videos on this very same thing and read a couple of post. But now I have to put it all into action. If you can, please spell out each Macro: since never using them before is so new, I have a hard time understanding what works and doesn't.
    Please help me set up my focus macros and targeting macros. .. I am by far the worst in Arena right now because I am fumbling through so much. My partner now really hates running with me because I literally do nothing besides get a fear off or two.. with very very little dps.
    On my Naga, 1-12 buttons I am using for all my spells.. is this good? Scroll button.. not is use.. but want to use for targeting/focus.. I guess?
    So frustrated right now . I almost want to quit the game because ive made it so difficult to play. Granted its only been 2 days with a new mouse and 3 days of trying NO clicking. . but man I am struggling. HELP!! LOL

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,311
    Rep Power
    17
    Hovah will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclgazpacho View Post
    Hovah, good stuff... just what I am looking for. I just finished watching videos on this very same thing and read a couple of post. But now I have to put it all into action. If you can, please spell out each Macro: since never using them before is so new, I have a hard time understanding what works and doesn't.
    Please help me set up my focus macros and targeting macros. .. I am by far the worst in Arena right now because I am fumbling through so much. My partner now really hates running with me because I literally do nothing besides get a fear off or two.. with very very little dps.
    On my Naga, 1-12 buttons I am using for all my spells.. is this good? Scroll button.. not is use.. but want to use for targeting/focus.. I guess?
    So frustrated right now . I almost want to quit the game because ive made it so difficult to play. Granted its only been 2 days with a new mouse and 3 days of trying NO clicking. . but man I am struggling. HELP!! LOL
    Fer not, I and plenty others have been right where you are. Remember, trying to re-learn something is extremely difficult, especially once you've established a habit. I will be more than happy to list some macros and how they work. First, though, regarding the naga. I bind about 90% of my abilities to it as well, and use modifiers of shift, ctrl and alt to make 48 keybinds all within the reach of my thumb. In addition to the naga, I also use a gamepad, which is liek a keyboard, but with programmable keys. this lets me use any keys on there I lie for the modifer keys (or any other keys I like.) I'll link it at the bottom of the page for reference. It isnt necessary by any means but I was a console gamer before I was a pc gamer, and these 2 have really helped me since I treat them more like controllers (hence why keybinds have to make sense to you first.)

    More to the point, if I were you, I'd practice your binds in BG's, even dungeons just to learn and get your muscle memory where it needs to be. Certainly graduate to start doing more 2's but allow yourself the chance to not face the extra pressure of performing at a higher level in arena on top of remembering your binds. Even just learning your binds on a target dummy can help.

    Now to the macros, we'll start with a normal macro and what a macro is. The entire game is command based, this means that when you click to cast shadowbolt, the game understands this as /cast shadowbolt, and a macro simply is you writing out the commands. So lets break one down.

    #showtooltip Fear
    /cast [target=focus] Fear

    This is a standard focus macro, but its functional. Lets break down what makes it work.

    #showtooltip is the command to show the tooltip of whatever ability is there, when you hover your mouse over it. In this case, its fear.
    /cast can be replaced with /use as the game recognizes it as the same thing, but lets just stick with cast for now.

    the [target=focus] is the area of the macro that sets a condition. In this case, we are saying that whatever is being cast will do so on our focus target. because this macro has a specific condition it will only work when we have a focus set.

    Arena target macros function the exact same way but where "focus" is placed it would be replaced with Arena1, or Arena2, etc. The macro would then look like this:

    #showtooltip Fear
    /cast [target=Arena1] Fear

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,311
    Rep Power
    17
    Hovah will become famous soon enough
    Now, we can then introduce modifiers. The only keys that can can modify, again, are ctrl, shit, and alt. Very few ever find the need or like to use alt, but I love it the same as the others. But an example of a madifier macro would be
    #showtooltip Fear
    /cast [nomod] Fear
    /cast [mod:shift, target=focus] Fear
    /cast [mod:ctrl, target=arena1] Fear
    /cast [mod:alt, target=mouseover] Fear


    so, in the first line we see [nomod] as the condition, this is required in modifier macros to designate what line will be used if no modifier is pressed. the second line we see [mod:shift, target=focus] as the condition. This means that by pressing shift, the target of the ability will be your focus, and it casts fear at that target. The next lines work the same way for the respective keybinds and targets. Mouseover macros will only work if your cursor is hovered over a viable target.

    Now, something to keep in mind when using modifier macros, say your assigning this macro to keybind 1. You will have to go into your keybindings page under the game menu, and make sure to free up "shift+1" or any other combination of keybind and modifier ("alt+f" "ctrl+6" etc.)

    Now, in regards to arena CC macros, I have my macros set up like this

    #showtooltip
    /cast [nomod, target=arena1] Hex
    /cast [mod:shift, target=arena1] Wind Shear
    /cast [mod:ctrl, target=arena1] Frost Shock
    /focus [mod:alt, target=arena1]

    This helps me in terms of Arena CC as whatever cc I will be using, this macro is organized to always do it on Arena1. The last line is also set to focus Arena 1, so I can swap focus's at will.

    Now,another basic rule with macros is some abilities can be written on the same line, these usually fir for burst macros, but can only work with abilities that are off the GCD, or global cooldown. So, something like this

    #showtooltip
    /use 14
    /use 10
    /cast Dark Soul:Instability


    this will use an item that corresponds to what you're wearing( 10 is your glove slot, so if you're an engineer, and 14 will use the second trinket slot, you can use 13 if you have a burst trinket in that slot instead. In addition on the same global, you will use your burst ability, saving you time and key space. Now this only works for abilities like this, you cant say do a macro like this:
    #showtooltip
    /cast shadowbolt
    /cast fel flame

    because both of these abilities incur a global cooldown so the game doesnt know which to cast.

    If you have anymore questions or want anything clarified just ask =).


    http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Nostromo...2&keywords=n52
    Last edited by Hovah; 07-23-2013 at 09:49 PM.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Hovah View Post
    Now, we can then introduce modifiers. The only keys that can can modify, again, are ctrl, shit, and alt. Very few ever find the need or like to use alt, but I love it the same as the others. But an example of a madifier macro would be
    #showtooltip Fear
    /cast [nomod] Fear
    /cast [mod:shift, target=focus] Fear
    /cast [mod:ctrl, target=arena1] Fear
    /cast [mod:alt, target=mouseover] Fear


    so, in the first line we see [nomod] as the condition, this is required in modifier macros to designate what line will be used if no modifier is pressed. the second line we see [mod:shift, target=focus] as the condition. This means that by pressing shift, the target of the ability will be your focus, and it casts fear at that target. The next lines work the same way for the respective keybinds and targets. Mouseover macros will only work if your cursor is hovered over a viable target.

    Now, something to keep in mind when using modifier macros, say your assigning this macro to keybind 1. You will have to go into your keybindings page under the game menu, and make sure to free up "shift+1" or any other combination of keybind and modifier ("alt+f" "ctrl+6" etc.)

    Now, in regards to arena CC macros, I have my macros set up like this

    #showtooltip
    /cast [nomod, target=arena1] Hex
    /cast [mod:shift, target=arena1] Wind Shear
    /cast [mod:ctrl, target=arena1] Frost Shock
    /focus [mod:alt, target=arena1]

    This helps me in terms of Arena CC as whatever cc I will be using, this macro is organized to always do it on Arena1. The last line is also set to focus Arena 1, so I can swap focus's at will.

    Now,another basic rule with macros is some abilities can be written on the same line, these usually fir for burst macros, but can only work with abilities that are off the GCD, or global cooldown. So, something like this

    #showtooltip
    /use 14
    /use 10
    /cast Dark Soul:Instability


    this will use an item that corresponds to what you're wearing( 10 is your glove slot, so if you're an engineer, and 14 will use the second trinket slot, you can use 13 if you have a burst trinket in that slot instead. In addition on the same global, you will use your burst ability, saving you time and key space. Now this only works for abilities like this, you cant say do a macro like this:
    #showtooltip
    /cast shadowbolt
    /cast fel flame

    because both of these abilities incur a global cooldown so the game doesnt know which to cast.

    If you have anymore questions or want anything clarified just ask =).


    http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Nostromo...2&keywords=n52
    ok I started adding the Macros..but the first one I did is not working.. Only first fear.. all the rest do nothing
    #showtooltip Fear
    /cast [nomod] Fear
    /cast [mod:shift, target=focus] Fear
    /cast [mod:ctrl, target=arena1] Fear
    /cast [mod:alt, target=mouseover] Fear

    is this written correct?

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,311
    Rep Power
    17
    Hovah will become famous soon enough
    it is, what you want to make sure of is that you clear the bindings youre trying to use, first. so whatever keybind you have this set to, make sure that the shift, ctrl, and alt versions of it are not bound at all. the way I ensure this is to go to key bindings under the game menu, and go to any random option, and actually bind the shift, ctrl and alt modifers to them and then clear that so nothings bound to it. Also, make sure that under interface>combat, that the focus cast key is set to "none". Should be good to go, let me know if it works.

  8. #18
    Ok got that part to work.. now I need the set target.. arena 1 2 3 on my scroll wheel. this way I can target in arena faster. thanks for all your help.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,311
    Rep Power
    17
    Hovah will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclgazpacho View Post
    Ok got that part to work.. now I need the set target.. arena 1 2 3 on my scroll wheel. this way I can target in arena faster. thanks for all your help.
    Of course, good luck out there and stick with it. If you have any other questions post here or send me a message and I'll help the best I can =). If I dont know, there are plenty more knowledgeable than I. See ya around!

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    287
    Rep Power
    10
    Dhampire is on a distinguished road
    Hello. This is wonderful to see. I like u started out arena not knowing anything. I am not someone who can figure out things but if u show me I can take it to the next level. I started playing hunter in season and sucked balls with him. I was stuck around 1400 till season 9 where I found this sight. Today I'm a 2500 rated hunter rank 12 50'pts away from rank3 and my first glad title. My advice, don't blame anyone for ur mistakes. Read, learn apply. That's the secret. I am actually getting bored of my hunter and I'm frantically looking for another toon to get glad with. I am leaning towards the lock since they r most like hunter. But I am starting from absolute scratch. I would actually love to see something really broken down like " lock 101 - start here if new to lock" I would even pay to have someone put it up. There is just so many thing I don't understand. It's ind blowing at times. But trial and error.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts