+ Reply to Thread

atomicjello is on a distinguished road

Assassination; the spec that makes me hate this game a little less right now.

So, I switched from Sub to Assassination. I can't do sub anymore. I hit like a wet noodle outside of dance and blades. I know sub is supposed to be better, but I just... I can't. I'm a product of GODMODE season of season 12 from Cata. I need those numbers and Assassination gets me there. Anyone feeling the same way? Maybe i'm crazy, but i feel like I play Assassination better.

Discuss if ya like!

link ur armory

sardius will become famous soon enough
    Assassination certainly has its perks, you will just have to adept your playstyle and consider what you play with, and what you play against. There were some threads about this about a month ago or so, and it seems more and more people enjoy switching it up a little bit.

You've reforged alot into mastery, which is certainly a useful stat. Not sure why you have taken crit over haste, my guess is because of Dispatch?

While I certainly feel sub is a very powerful specc right now, there's nothing wrong about trying something else. Woundman even manages to get Combat to work, although with a very cheesy setup (he runs double DPS trinkets as an Orc Rogue together with a boomkin and oneshots ppl with 100k attack power Killing Sprees...)

Chucklehead is on a distinguished road
    Yeah I was sub for life but recently it's just annoying to play. It seems way better for arena when everything lines up right. You can smoke someone in an opener but if you get peeled every single time you try to burst and then you're a wet noodle for another minute just trying to play utility until you can burst again it's just not enjoyable. It's just not my playstyle at all. Assassination is way more pressure outside of stealth or any cooldowns. You can just turn around on someone and put out decent damage. Subs stronger in arena in most every case mainly because the way arena works now is short, huge burst windows is what it takes to win rather than sustained damage but it's not my playstyle at all and I just don't enjoy playing it. Simply put, assassination is just more fun.

TOmjashroom is on a distinguished road
    If you learn to play rogue the most optimally co-ordinating swaps and landing maximal cross cc assasination will never be as good as sub ever its just not as versatile spec. If your just playing it for fun tho w/e but if your trying to improve to be the best rogue you possibly can then playing sub is the best way to go (not the only but by far the most competitive spec in general).

Quote Originally Posted by sardius View Post
    You've reforged alot into mastery, which is certainly a useful stat. Not sure why you have taken crit over haste, my guess is because of Dispatch?
    that was the main idea, but (( noob question) haste better for assassination?

Quote Originally Posted by atomicjello View Post
    that was the main idea, but (( noob question) haste better for assassination?
    Haste is in general regarded as better sustained-wise. Reason being is everything ticks and rolls faster : faster auto attacks means more poison application, your poison ticks are faster, and your bleed ticks are faster. This also directly increases your energy regen since Venomous Wounds have a static 75% proc chance per tick.

However, crit should not be underestimated as random Dispatch procs can rapidly tear through any enemy's health bar in seconds, especially if it crits.

I've made some changes, and you can feel free to take a look, what you say is a acceptable balance of both, in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by atomicjello View Post
    I've made some changes, and you can feel free to take a look, what you say is a acceptable balance of both, in your opinion?
    80% mastery seems a bit high, although it's important to say that I haven't done the number crunching myself. Wraithaur had done some math on it and gotten the result that 72% is about what you want to aim for (although this was 5.3). You can read about it in the sticky about rogue burst in mists of pandaria.

Edit : here's the thread

Rogue Burst in Mists of Pandaria

Abit down the page you can read even more about Assassination and my thoughts of it (I wrote a little mini-compendium about my experiences as a mutilate rogue). If Wraithaur's calculations are correct, I would probably go for 72% mastery and then reforged the rest of it in crit since Dispatch also benefits from this stat (and it can result in HUGE numbers).
    Last edited by sardius; 03-09-2014 at 02:39 PM.