+ Reply to Thread

whyblink is on a distinguished road

How to think like pro

Like how to practice thinking ahead of time, like whats he going to do if i do this.... etc.
    I kind of find myself just chilling mildlessly CCing and doing damage, how could i improve this and work on this so it would become like second nature.

Chucklehead is on a distinguished road
    Play the same class, in the same comp...over..and over...and over again. Having a strong knowledge of other classes abilities and how they work and what abilities you have that can be used to counter that. It's mainly just something that only comes with experience. You play long enough you see a comp and you already know what they're going to try to do, probably when they're going to use big cooldowns and you just start to get a feel for when they're going to do things based on the momentum in the game. Standing out in front of org/SW and dueling all day long is also helpfull. Especially against people that are really good. Believe it or not playing at a higher rating bracket sometimes makes the other team even more predictable because they begin to fall into a cookie cutter tactic to win and they know that tactic is the best chance they have at winning against X comp. That's doesn't always make it easier to stop. The second-nature thing though is just straight up experience. Setting your keybinds and macros up in a way that's comfortable for you to use and then just putting in the hours until all your keybinds are just used without even thinking about it. You just know "ok, when they do this I counter with this" so you just automatically respond without having to really think about it which not only makes your reaction time much faster (instant trinket cc's when you know you should trinket rather than sit the cc for example) but it also allows you to focus more on field awareness and the finer details of the match. Where before the match just kind of seemed like a free for all of people running around mongoloiding damage, it now becomes more of a tactical chess game where you're trying to catch the opponent in a bad position and force their defensive CD's without giving away any of your own. Just run games/duel as much as you can though.
    Last edited by Chucklehead; 05-03-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Chucklehead is on a distinguished road
    I'd also like to add:
    A. I am not a pro by any means. This is just my two cents.
    B. Playing so much that things just become second nature is why you see really high rating players make comments like "It's really easy to hit 2300 or so but after that it starts getting hard". You might think "wow that guys crazy it's not easy at all" but to them, at that level in their game, it IS really easy. They've forgotten the days of fumbling around on their keyboards looking for that oh so distant F key and everything now has become second nature to them so they just run around and lol to 2200+ just auto-reacting to everything thrown at them and think it's easy street up to 2300. Especially if your teammates are all glads themselves it makes it seem easy up to 2200 even moreso. One of the greatest challenges in pvp is one alot of people overlook. It's not just becoming really good at your own class, but finding other good players that not only have a similar schedule as you, you vibe really well with, you have toons that form a viable comp together and that are also ready to dedicate some time and effort into making a serious push into the ladder. This is extremely difficult to pull together in most cases.
    Last edited by Chucklehead; 05-03-2014 at 09:53 PM.

The biggest thing separating the best of the best players from other players is that they have a consciousness of why they do certain things. A lot of this comes from their ability to analyze their own gameplay and take a scientific approach to the game. One way to build this consciousness is to record and watch your own gameplay. If you watch carefully what happens in the moments leading up to a kill you might gain insight on what moves are more effective in one situation and less effective in another.

For instance, say you are a mage and you are questioning when to pop your offensive cooldowns. You record your gameplay and find that when you pop CDs without having any form of CC on a healer, you will rarely score a kill on the enemy team. Then you notice the games that you pop CDs after a PoM sheep on the healer, you frequently score kills or force enemy CDs.

The biggest thing is just "testing" what you do so that you can predict future outcomes.

Snodz is on a distinguished road
    Thinking what you will do ahead of time.

A lot of the time i say to my team, 'if he recks here im using sham rage' or 'If he pom polys u im raging'

Then the second he does it, i use my wall to its full effectiveness.

Thats what made a big difference for me

And also what chucklehead said, same class, same comp over and over again.

I must have over 2000 games played as LSD over the last 3 years. It feels so weird playing anything else :L

Friez is on a distinguished road
    I think this is a really great topic. Any chance you'd make a video over it Bigmoran? (:

Gaelden is on a distinguished road
    Maybe not exactly on the same point but did you checked Rank 1 mentality - Tosan? There's another video kind of on the same topic but i can't seem to remember who made it. The title was along the lines of "How i became a gladiator" and i'd say it was a shadow priest playing but i'm absolutely not sure about the class.

Friez is on a distinguished road
    I watched it, and it was great. I just remember it being about having a positive attitude, not analyzing what to do with each team they face.