+ Reply to Thread

Kruloc is on a distinguished road

Affliction Lock/Holy Pally Discussion

I just found a good competent and holy pally to do 2's with. So far I'm really liking the way the comp works, but of course I'm still new to the whole thing so I want to learn more about it. And maybe you guys can share things between yourselves about this comp since I see lot of Lock/Pally 's running around doing 2's.

What I'm looking for is just some general tips about how the comp runs. Like the little things that you eventually pick up after playing hundreds of games. Other than that - how do you guys deal Warrior/Healer combos or DK/Druid? I was watching a livestream (I think pyrilus') the other day and they were running WLD against TSG. Both warriors died and it became a 2v2... the game went on forever until the druid pulled off a rez lol...

airety

Re: Affliction Lock/Holy Pally Discussion

Filovirus is the pro at this comp AFAIK, he's seemingly been running it forever. I believe he is planned to join as a contributor for this site as some point. I've played this to 2200, and here's what I can give you for brief pointers:

Vs. X/priest: Try and CC the dpser as much as possible with ua/fears. Keep Curse of Exhaustion on the priest so that you pally can stay out of mana burns/fear. DoTing both players doesn't seem to work very well as Prayer of Mending rocks DoTs, so I will typically try and drain mana a priest while keeping full DoTs on his partner and just UA on him to keep him from dispelling mana drains. Because he can't dispel mana drain, he'll usually run away/try to LoS you, so you don't need to worry about PoM bounces. Sometimes you have to go the whole 9 yards and drain them dry (after shadowfiend, which you can UA fear, or use Shadow Ward to mitigate the mana recovery if fiend is on you... after hymn of hope... after drink ticks here and there.) More often then not though you and your pally can colloborate to kill the DPSer while the priest is trying to sneak in some drinks. The most difficult setup by far is mage/priest because a good mage WILL buy the priest plenty of opportunities to drink.

Vs. X/Druid: If your pally can judge the druid, this gets much easier. I haven't figured out the strat vs a really good druid/lock team. For rogue/druid, try and keep DoTs on both as much as possible and force the druid to HoT two targets. Spread fears around, don't commit to one target. You HAVE to juke the rogue, you have to know that he wants to gouge you and KS you as much as he can to break up your damage... and you have to try and spell lock/fear the druid to keep him from cycloning your pally for 9 seconds (cyclone, cyclone, cyclone.) For warrior/druid, I try and pressure the druid as hard as possible with my pally assisting with JoJ on the druid and HoJing the warrior. You almost have to run Demon Armor or your pally will go OOM faster than the druid ever will trying to keep you up. Juking vs a wariror is extremely difficult, because you need to juke pummel/shield bash AND ina perfect world overpower too (so your damage isn't neutered.) With practice, you CAN fear the warrior. Fear him once, he will pop Berseker Rage. When it drops, fear him again. The DR should reset with a few seconds left on the cooldown- fear him as soon as DR resets and you should get a 3-4 seconds fear before he can break it. Rinse and repeat. I do drain druids as I can but it is not a focus like it is with priests- druids can buy themselves drinks for one and for another my felhunter never made it out high school and couldn't devour an innervate if his life depended on it.

I can add more tomorrow, but others may want to step in first.

airety

Ah, yes, and little things:

1) Juke Juke Juke
    2) Don't be scared to use defensive cooldowns pretty quickly vs 2 dps. Always dot both dpsers, and try and fear one. Vs mage/rogue, don't EVER let them reset after you've used cooldowns or you are in serious trouble.
    3) Auto-devour was pally/warrior. If you are lucky you will catch a divine plea. If you are worried about HoJ, turn auto-devour off when the cooldown on HoJ is up.
    4) Bind pet commands (follow/passive, stay, attack in addition to spell lock/devour) to keys. You will always want your Felhunter on a target, especially if specced into it, but a lot of teams will try and pull your FH behind a box and kill it. It took me til like 1800 to figure out that clicking just wasn't going to cut it
    5) Always be doing something. DoTs already out on both targets and you are fearing? Drain mana. Moving from one place to another? Shadowflame the rogue on you (with glyph of course.)
    6) Set your port defensively versus offensive teams (2 dps) and offensively versus healer/dps teams. Versus warriors, port the first bladestorm, then use your port on cooldown to clear any snares/get more pressure out. Make sure your offensive port is within LOS of your pally though!
    7) Can't get a healer off a pillar? Pull his DPSer back to your healer's pillar/position. He'll eventually have to either come out or they will have to reset. If they reset, watch your pet... and let your pally drink. This comp necessitates a lot of patience.

Kruloc is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tips again airety.

Even the basic strats against these comps will save us tons of losing games. Having no clear idea at all of what to do against these healer teams usually results in a really long slow loss... Which just isn't much fun lol. Warriors in particular made me sweat the most, the fact that they can break fears so easily is nerve-wracking - and now I know it's possible to get a decent fear on them. =D

Counsel

I play this comp and lately a problem we've been having is geared warriors just straight up killing my paladin through his self healing. I fear and peel as much as possible but eventually there isn't anything left for me to do to get him off, and the warrior is able to take down my healer. We're at around 2100 mmr and the paladin is in mostly furious set pieces with wrathful offset and 1800 weapons, and these warriors outgear him.

airety

Your pally can heal himself through for a bit, but not forever. While he warrior is on him, he's typically very far from his own pally, and you will not have to deal with pummel or unrelenting assault.

Don't bother trying to fear- pump damage into the warrior. You should be able to drop him to 50% pretty quickly, then look to fear his paladin with a curse of tongues up, and put more into the warrior. Be ready to spell lock the first cast. Warrior now either needs to get on to you, pally needs to bubble (at which point your pally can freely bubble if the warrior sticks... he can BoP himself later) or you kill the warrior.

Pyrilus is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, that's exactly what you need to do. Your pally should be able to draw the warrior away if he's on him. That's when you pump full dots into him and get a good fear on the warr's healer.