+ Reply to Thread

Legendsyo is on a distinguished road

New Computer Setup!

Hello everyone,
    Getting a new computer in a few short weeks...
    let me know if this is an alright set up.

•Intel Core i7 4790K Quad-Core 4.0GHz
    •Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Gene
    •Case Fans: ORIGIN High-Performance Ultra Silent Fans
    •System Cooling: FROSTBYTE 240 Sealed Liquid Cooling System
    •Power Supply: 650 Watt Tough Power 80+Gold
    •Graphic Card: 4GB NVIDIA GTX 970
    •Memory: 16GB HyperX 2133Mhz (2x8GB)
    •Hard Drive One: 240GB ORIGIN PC Approved Solid State Drive
    •Hard Drive Two: 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache

Any Opinions appreciated,

Chanabra is on a distinguished road
    Nice computer build.

My opinion is if you want such an enthusiast build you should spend the minimal amount of time it takes to learn how to install and manage your own computer. You would save HUNDREDs of dollars buying all those parts whole sale and finding deals on them and putting it together yourself than paying Origin to do that, put time into it and brand it, mark up the price and sell it to you.

stonecutter is on a distinguished road
    In terms of hardware specs - this is more than enough to play wow, there's absolutely no question about it. I don't know what other games you play , what resolution you plan to run on your monitor, those are factors as well. I play on ultra with half the specs you have there. I also have no idea what the cost of this system is. If this was 5k I'd say it wasn't a good buy. If it was in the 1500 range I'd say its reasonable.

In the build vs. buy comments, I think there is a place for both. If you don't feel like dealing with assembly, os install and decentralized warranty claims in case of hardware mishaps, then buying from a reputable vendor is perfectly fine in my opinion. That's what the extra cost is for. I've never heard of Origin, so you may want to see if anyone else has purchased from them and if their support is decent should you need it.

But if you want to know if this will run wow ad a good frame rate and high detail levels for the next few years, then the answer is yes.

If you are wanting opinions in general on that build I will oblige. I actually build highly customized overpriced gaming and workstation computers.

My main concerns are your Power Supply and Hard Drive.

Mainly the Power Supply, I would highly recommend a higher wattage power supply. A 650W will be enough, IF you are actually getting 650W. Although, it's considered good practice to not exceed 80% of what the power supply can output. Which in this case would make that power supply's optimal usage at 520W. I also am highly against no-name parts when it comes to most parts in your computer. A no-name DVD/BR is no biggie, a no-name case or fans not including the CPU fan is ok. When you have no idea who manufactures that Power Supply and SSD hard drive you really have no idea what kind of quality you are getting or what those benchmark at.

Also a side note, you have some ups and downs on that build.

First is, are you planning to overclock your i7? If not, I wouldn't even spend 2 cents on a liquid cooling system unless you just want to look at it, it's completely unnecessary. The stock CPU fan that comes with the i7 is designed to keep it cool, short of overclocking. Unless your case is very poorly designed and has almost no air movement, but then again, this is one reason we don't use "our own" case/hd/fan/etc. Sure it's much cheaper to design your own, and you can call it "Origin" Case, and Origin Fan, and Origin Approved HD etc, but in reality that means absolutely nothing.

The questions I would ask you if I was building a system for you would be this...
    What is your price point, comfortable price and top price?

What do you want to do with your computer?
    - Obviously you want to game, what games do you play? What games are you looking forward to? Do you multi-task while gaming? Do you intend to run 2-3 monitors? Etc.

How long do you want it to be "powerful" or still considered powerful?
    - If you're ok with a system that declines in power over time, meaning, it can't perform as well with newer games and software, then you obviously need less power, if you want it to be as future proof as possible and would rather spend alot of money now, then spend money again, several years from now when it's getting out dated, then that is a whole different ball game.

Would you prefer to upgrade it down the road, or build an entirely new one when it comes time?
    - If you want to upgrade it yourself, which is VERY easy, then having room for more RAM or another PCI slot might be usefull, if you don't want to upgrade it, but you'd rather replace it in 5 years then you don't need to spend the money for the room to upgrade.

Where will the computer be? Inside a cabinet? Up on a shelf? On the floor? Is the floor carpeted?
    - Air flow is important, but most computer users don't need liquid cooling, some do. Some systems have bottom mount Power Supplies that don't work when set on carpeting because it will be trying to pull air through the carpet, which, obviously doesn't work well. 2 Fans may be enough, 6 may be required, etc.

How important is it the look and style of the computer?
    - $150 can make a $200 computer look like a $1500 computer, or it could be better spent on power.

What are you favorite colors?
    - Changing lighting/case colors is easy

Overall, if I were to build that computer for myself, it would cost me or you, to do it yourself, somewhere around... $1200, depending on what case/power supply/hard drive they are actually using. I can take a sandisk ssd and put my own label on it, saying Super Extreme Overdrive Hyper X Falcon SSD, but it's still just a SanDisk. If I were selling it to someone, I would charge them around 2000, so long as that computer is actually built and designed properly, and that should include overclocking and maximizing it's performance for your goal.

Hopefully this helps, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Edit: Also don't forget the warranty, if someone is building this system very explicitly look through their warranty. When you build it yourself you often get a 3-5+ year warranty and virtually every part. When I build them, I provide a 3 year free and clear warranty. The first 3 years you are free of all liability up to the cost of the system. So essentially, if you drive over your computer, we will replace the entire system at no charge once in the first 3 years, after that, we will replace any parts up to 5 years and all you pay is labor which usually ends up around 25-50$ excluding shipping for non-local customers. Like stonecutter said, if you are buying from someone else, you should expect some form of a legit warranty. I would also google search "Origin Computers are bad", "Origins bad warranty", etc. Often people search "Origin Warranty" if they want to know about it, or "Origin Review". Which will lead you to a review for sure, but it likely won't be a place where you see the bad side of something. I highly recommend searching based on the bad results you want to avoid and see if you see people saying, they're bad or if you see a few random people complaining for nothing, and the review sites also say they are a good company to go with.
    Last edited by Dreadator; 01-05-2015 at 11:05 PM.

Nnoitra is on a distinguished road
    Here's a low budget setup i ended up with that allows you to play WoW at 1920x1080, Ultra Quality, 60+ FPS:

1 x ATX Cooler Master N300 N2 USB 3.0 - 38,90 €
    1 x Intel Pentium K G3258 (3.2GHz) Socket 1150 - overclock@4.6ghz - 67,90 €
    1 x Cooler CPU Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - 29,50 €
    1 x Motherboard ASRock Z97 Anniversary - 86,90 €
    1 x G.Skill Kit 4GB DDR3 1600MHz RipjawsX CL9 - 43,40 €
    1 x Asus GTX750 Ti OC 2GB DDR5 - 149,90 €
    1 x Western Digital 1TB SATA III 64MB Blue - 53,90 €
    1 x XFX Pro 450W Core Edition - 48,90 €
    1 x Cooltek 120mm (1200rpm) - 3,90 €

Total: 523,20 €

Cheap and good.. However with your budget, you definitely can go for superior builds.

Bearfighter is on a distinguished road
    Nice! Its funny building these boss PC builds when I just installed an SSD to my Dell e6220 and lowered all the settings and WoW runs like a heated butter knife though butter. :P

Capacite is on a distinguished road
    Just build my new setup last night, have a completely new love for WoW. Never seen/played on ultra before.!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NcfwWZ

fknwings is on a distinguished road
    I know! It's crazy seeing things after playing on low the entire time.