View Poll Results: What did you think of this guide?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • It was very useful / I learnt from it

42 76.36%
  • It was good

10 18.18%
  • It was ok

2 3.64%
  • It was bad

1 1.82%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Hoggster is on a distinguished road

Mobility Abilities and Passives

with
    • You are able to lay down a portal at a set location, and at any point as long as you are within 40 yards you can portal back to that location. Port is on a 30 second CD, and is not constrained by line of sight restrictions. Port also removes any snares on you.
    • You can also use the Soulburn Effect for Teleport, which gives you a 50% sprint and also immunity to snares and roots for 8 seconds.

• You are able to lay down a gateway between two locations within 40 yards. Taking the gateway puts a 90 second debuff on you that prevents you from taking the gateway again.

How can these abilities be utilized?

• Use it to break snares or roots
    • Get out of line of sight
    • Create distance
    • Teleport to your team defensively
    • Teleport to enemy team offensively
    • Z-axis (placing port on top of Blade’s Edge bridge, jump down and port up)

Primarily, you’ll want to use port defensively. As such, at the start of every arena game you will want to set up your portal in a stable, defensive location.

An example of this is Nagrand Arena: You will want to go to the left or right pillar and drop your port behind the pillar (but hugging it).

The best way to use portal is by positioning yourself at least 25 yards away from your port. Typically, you will use port either when your healer is in CC, or in situations where you know if you don’t port you will either die or be forced to use cooldowns.

Using port offensively does not happen much as Warlocks are pretty easy to kill. I don’t recommend using it offensively because you’ll be forced to put it in a compromising position, and many times it will not pay off.

The best position to lay down your Demonic Gateway is between pillars so that you are in the opposing team’s line of sight as little as possible.

For example on Nagrand, setting the gateway between the left and right pillars as you leave the gates is the best default spot to put it. You can adjust it mid-game, but as an opener you’ll always want to get your gateway down.

The best way to use your Demonic Gateway is to create distance to either force gap closers or to get away from the opponent when they have no more gap closers. An example of this is using Portal to get away from a Rogue, forcing his Shadowstep. You can then Demonic Gateway away to safety, and be able to cast without being interrupted until he catches back up to you.
    Last edited by Hoggster; 12-19-2015 at 06:00 PM.

What utility abilities do you have as a warlock?

+

(Imp Dispel)

Utility Abilities Explained

+
    • 15 second cooldown - steals a buff from the enemy target and puts it on the observer. Important for purging enemies of buffs like Fear Ward, Icy Veins, Dark Intent etc.

• Hour long buff - really simple. Gives you 10% spell power, 5% multistrike and acts as a trash buff against purging - really cheap to reapply. Use it at the start of the game, and any time it is dispelled.

• Once a game heal for your team and yourself - very helpful because you can use it when Silenced. You’ll want to use it when you would otherwise die or your healer needs help recovering.

• Pretty simple - sacrifices your health for mana. Whenever you find yourself low on mana or have nothing to do, Life Tap fills that gap. In Warlords of Draenor, Affliction Warlocks do not have much mana problems so this spell is rarely used.

(Imp Dispel)
    • Your imp has a spell called Singe Magic, which allows you to dispel 1 magic effect off a friendly target like your healer once every 10 seconds.
    • If you use Grimoire of Sacrifice, you can reset the cooldown and dispel again. Using an imp is really good against hunter ret healer for example, because nearly all of their crowd control is magic. However, this is very rare as having an Observer pet for Spell Lock is necessary in nearly all situations.
    Last edited by Hoggster; 12-19-2015 at 06:02 PM.

Using keybinds is an essential part of playing world of warcraft as it allows you to react to things alot faster, and make your overall gameplay alot smoother. There is no "best" way to keybind you spells as keybinds are all personal preference so use what you find most comfortable.

Movement - How do you control your characters movement?

I use W to move my character forwards with my right click to turn. A and D are my keys to strafe left and right…” - what I’m used to from when I used to play Counter Strike. You never want to S Key or backpeddle because you move much slower than if you were moving forwards - and you don’t want to use “Turn Left” or “Turn Right” which is known as Keyboard turning. That’s because it’s much slower than turning with your mouse.

Targeting - How do you target your teammates and enemy players in arena?

Teammates

I click - you almost never need to check your teammates. Voice communication covers nearly everything. However, feel free to bind your teammates - being able to check their buffs occasionally is important.

Enemies

Binds, C, B, N for target arena 1 / 2 / 3 respectively

Bind CTRL+F to target arena pets - normally teams only have one pet, so the macro works for most teams.

Macro:

/target arenapet1
    /target arenapet2
    /target arenapet3
    /target arenapet4
    /target arenapet5

Focusing Enemies

F-key binds. F1 F2 F3 for arena 1 / 2 / 3 focus respectively.

Modifiers - Which modifiers do you use and how do you feel about them?

Control, Alt, Shift

All - this depends on your personal comfort and keyboard. I have a pretty compact Keyboard and I can easily hit all the modifier keys so I use all of them. I definitely recommend using them all if possible - most people find hitting alt difficult, but if you use your thumb to do it it’s pretty easy once you get used to it.

Action Bars - How do you lay out your abilities on your action bars?
    • I group up my damage abilities in the bottom left of my action bars. The rest of my bars are fillled with my cooldowns. I have the cooldowns that I use frequently on the bottom action bars because they are the most accessible.
    • I also have two of the same cooldowns on most of my action bars next to each other so it’s easy to see the cooldown. You can do this by having a macro hashtag showtooltip that cooldown. For example, my spell lock arena 3 macro shows my Dark Soul cooldown by having hashtag Dark Soul at the start of the macro
    • I have specific keybinds for different types of abilities that are the same across all my alts. For example F is always my CC key, Mouse Button 5 is always my PvP trinket, my damaging spells are always 1-6 and my spell lock or interrupt is always T. This is good for those of you that have alts - it’s much easier this way to learn your keybind and get used to it.

What keybinds do you use for your abilities?

“I use 1-6, Q, E, R, T, F, G, Z, X, C, V, B, N, tilde, caps lock and F keys for everything. I also use the control shift and alt modifiers for these keybinds…”

Refer to my skill-capped profile for each keybinding. Link location here: http://www.skill-capped.com/gladiato...imals/Keybinds
    Last edited by Hoggster; 12-19-2015 at 06:04 PM.

What macros do you have that include your abilities?

I actually don’t have a lot of macros that do special things - most my macros are just to save keybinding space by having modifiers on them like my pet macro. I won’t go over these because they’re just keybind savers.
    • I have a Dark Soul macro that includes my PvP on use trinket. This uses them together so it saves an extra keybind
    • Devour Magic and Clone Magic are macro’d together for when you change between Grimoire of Supremacy and Sacrifice to save space on keybinds and action bar space
    • I have an all-in-one Command Demon macro which uses all my pet spells depending on which pet I have, and if I’ve sacrificed my pet or not
    • Most of my macros are just standard spells with a #showtooltip tag to show the cooldown of a different spell.

Refer to my skill-capped profile for each macro. Link location here:

http://www.skill-capped.com/gladiato...animals/Macros

Party Macros

The only macros that I have to cast on my party members are with my imp - to dispel them. This is part of my all-in-one Command Demon macro, which I set to dispel my healer as it is what is used in 99% of situations with Imp Dispel.

Focus and Arena Macros

I have focus macros for the following spells..
    • Banish
    • Devour/Clone Magic
    • Fear
    • Soul Swap
    • Unstable Affliction
    • Mortal Coil
    • Command Demon

I have arena 1/2/3 macros for the following spells..
    • Banish 123
    • Fear 123
    • Spell Lock 123
    Last edited by Hoggster; 12-19-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Addons

What addons do you use that you would recommend other players should use?

PLEASE try and have a minimalistic UI - don’t have your screen cluttered with useless information and pretty frames. You want to see as much of the game as possible - clarity is really important!

LOSE CONTROL - CC on teammates/self
    Shows icon of CC on portraits of whoever you want and the duration

GLADIUS - DR Tracker
    • Very important addon for arena as it shows DR’s, trinkets and other information that is really valuable

TELLMEWHEN - Buff Tracking
    • Shows an icon of a select buff you want to track, such as Soulburn: Haunt on another frame for easier
    • tracking

KgPanels
    • I use KgPanels to add some artwork to my UI and Gladius, but this is not necessary. It’s purely aesthetic

Afflicted3 - Interrupt / CD tracking
    • Shows the cooldowns of certain enemy abilities you want to track, such as Kick, Deep Freeze and Psychic Scream

OmniCC
    • Shows the timer left on your debuffs on the enemy player frame. For example, on the default UI, your Agony would have a dark swirly circle like a clock, but with OmniCC, it shows the numerical value of the duration remaining

Scripts

What scripts do you use that you would recommend other players should use?

If you don’t plan on competing in LAN tournaments, don’t use scripts if possible! Always use AddOns. AddOns can be a “download and forget”, whereas with scripts you have to click them every single time you log in or reload UI, which is a hassle after a while.
    One AddOn I definitely recommend getting is an AddOn similar to DispelBorder (link: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...pelBorder.html).

I am not sure if this AddOn is maintained, as I use a script to do the exact same thing. However, there are plenty of alternatives that do the same thing.

I use a lot of AddOns, but I still have all my scripts from competing in offline tournaments. This is because you’re not allowed to use any kinds of AddOns - only scripts. Everything needs to be manual and you can’t have anything automatic. Like I said earlier, just use AddOns. It’s so much easier and if you find yourself competing at a LAN someday, you can disable your AddOns and find the scripts.

Thats it for this guide. I would like you all to join me with giving a very special thanks to Chanimal who has done an incredible job in giving up his time to pass onto me the most detailed information possible so i could put together this guide for all of you to enjoy and learn from.
    Last edited by Hoggster; 12-19-2015 at 06:07 PM.

Reserved for future use

Reserved for future purpose

danneybanks is on a distinguished road
    Thank you !

webbey is on a distinguished road
    Can we please get an update to this thread with what the new BIS pvp gear is please.