+ Reply to Thread

airety

UA Lock/Pally 2s Guide

I wrote this when SC opened, but the forums always gobbled it up and I could never post it. Now that the forums are upgraded, I'm going to try again.

NOTE: This guide isn't perfect, and I'm sure there are a lot of ways it can be built upon to be even better. These are pretty much just the strats I used- I am not a Gladiator, I will not be a Gladiator this season, and I haven't been playing much the past two months due to scheduling issues.

Here's the guide!!!

1) Priest/Rogue: Always Curse of Exhaustion the priest. Put pet on priest. Lock Mana Burns(priests are terrible jukers in my experience when they burn.) The priest will run to your pally to fear, put pet on stay then. Devour the fear, profit. Keep the rogue DoTed at all times, when you get a good fear on him mana drain priest. Pally has to pillar at all times and keep distance from the priest. Save HoJ either for the rogue if the pressure is too much, or for the priest if he's smack in the middle and the rogue is being controlled.

2) Warrior/X: Fear the warrior (yes he will berserker rage it.) Wait 10 seconds for zerker rage to drop. Fear him again (he may trinket.) If he trinkets, HoJ him to your hearts content for 2 minutes. If he doesn't, wait 5-7 seconds, fear him again. In most cases he'll pop zerker rage to end that fear, which is just great because DR is resetting now. Keep doing that, make sure to protect with a UA vs pallies. Beacon doesnít work through LoS AFAIK, so if they train your pet behind a box, pull him back and funnel him. Pally can pick up the pet fairly quick if you are channeling funnel with the 20% damage reduction and you didnít wait until the last second. Juke pummel/shield bash to the best of your ability (these games will last, you have time to learn.)

2a) Warrior/Druid: Pet on druid, auto-devour on, lock cyclones, have your pally judge justice on the druid whenever he can, keep DoTs on the warrior and keep mana burning the druid. If you are lucky, you'll catch innervate. If you don't, if you've been draining well you can pull ahead before the next innervate by keeping at least Corruption up. Don't port until the first bladestorm, after that you can port twice before you have to hold it again (so shadowflame and port.) He'll usually intercept you after you port unless you port behind a box- whatever, let him burn that on you and not the pally. If he goes on your pally, DoT both targets and push major damage since you arenít worried about pummel/unrelenting assault. Death Coil him off if your pally needs it. Feel free to rock Demon Armor while you are in drain mode, switch to Fel Armor when the druid is getting dry to put out more pressure. Save BoP for dire need. Fear the druid when he goes out into the open to cyclone, if your Pally can HoJ the warrior too youíll be able to rip 2-3k mana off the druid during fears.

2b) Warrior/Pally: Auto-devour the pally, maybe youíll catch a plea. Drain the pally, but make sure to keep UA up at least or he will dispel. Your paladin can play super defensive here since you need him to be judging justice.

2c) Warrior/Priest: Never really played against this comp.

2d) Warrior/Shaman: AFK. Shaman healers ruin your life.

3) Shadow Priest/Rogue: Get in combat fast, but keep LoS and as much space as possible from your pally. If they sap you and open on your pally this match gets 50x harder, because if you trinket the sap they will blind you and itís good game. Demon Armor, even if they usually open on your Pally. Felhunter on the Shadow Priest, if rogue opens on the pally lock the first cast-time cast (usually Vampiric Touch.) UA & fear the rogue, do it twice if he has fear ward. Exhaust the priest and during this time and your pally can freedom off and build space. Keep DoTs on both targets, if they donít get someone really low with the opening the match is on your side. If they focus you, your pally should be able to keep you up if you have Demon Armor up- donít be stingy with your defensive cooldowns, there is no point. If/when the shadow priest starts healing, just donít let them reset and you win.

4) Lock/Druid: Similar to Warrior/Druid, you need to drain the druid. Use Shadow Ward on cooldown. The druid is more likely to try and cyclone you in this matchup, so be aware. Make sure to DoT his pet full, this is sometimes even more important than DoTing the other Warlock. If on RoV, you need to get justice on the druid or the match will be 45 mins long. Any other map, if the druid is just ridiculous at LoSing you pressure lock and pet hard and heíll have to come out once you fear the lock and go for the pet kill. These matches will always be frustrating and very long.

5) Mirror: DoT what you can, drain the pally, control the lock, hopefully you are better than them

6) Lock/Shaman: /dance, I really donít have a good strat vs competitive lock/shaman teams. Bad ones you can drain shaman, stomp tremors and control them a bit, or possibly line up CC perfectly and kill the Shaman after NS is used.

7) Lock/Priest: Basically follow the rogue/priest guide, you should beat these guys most of the time.

I'd be happy to answer any questions from my perspective. I really can't help you much if you over 2400 with this comp though, but Filovirus has pretty extensive experience.

I'd also be happy to write a similar guide for Lock/Shaman.
    Last edited by airety; 06-17-2010 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Took out the closing statement about helping pallies.

Pyrilus is an unknown quantity at this point
    Some really great tips here, thank you for making this <3

jestex
    against dpriest rogue wouldn't it be better to not have your felhunter on the priest cause it will get feared too and then you can devour paladin out of it.
    even having felhunter on rogue and using your devour to keep taking shields off ;

airety
    Priests going for fear are very obvious, I put the FH on stay beforehand to devour my pally. I don't like to put my FH on a rogue because if he decides to turn and breathe on it, it's dead- there isn't much I can do to prevent it.

For a while I experimented with a macro to devour the rogue in priest/rogue, but I couldn't handle that type of micro unfortunately.

orchid is on a distinguished road
    Hi, thank you very much for this useful guide!

However I need further advice versus Discipline priest/Rogue Team.

Airety's tactic seems fine, but the real problem (for me) is the difficulty to get a good fear on the rogue when my mate have only 1 cc (every 40 sec) and the priest can dispel all the "good fears" immediately. Dispel, Cloak, PW:S Vanish, trinket, kidney shot, blind counter everything I do and the rogue can simply rape me. Draining the priest seems so difficult to me with all this counters

Sorry for bad English.

roryferguson is on a distinguished road
    I just picked up this team the other day had some difficulty with warr/holyP, Arcane/Disc, Afflic/RestoSham

I don't suppose Filovirus could post a really long extended version to this thread, soon as he's nr.1

airety
    Learning to juke is the only way you'll get fears off. Once the rogue burns kick, since fear doesn't have a positional requirement (meaning you don't have to worry about gouge as much) you can get fears off. The only "scary" part is kidney shot, but I'd rather he use KS because I'm going to fear him than because the priest has my pally in a fear and my felhunter is in retard mode.

You can also kite and fear (using curse of exhaustation or glyphed shadowflame) to build enough space to fear. I primarily use the earlier tactic (juking) but there have been times where I have just focused on creating space, and then fearing.

Quote Originally Posted by orchid View Post
    Hi, thank you very much for this useful guide!

However I need further advice versus Discipline priest/Rogue Team.

Airety's tactic seems fine, but the real problem (for me) is the difficulty to get a good fear on the rogue when my mate have only 1 cc (every 40 sec) and the priest can dispel all the "good fears" immediately. Dispel, Cloak, PW:S Vanish, trinket, kidney shot, blind counter everything I do and the rogue can simply rape me. Draining the priest seems so difficult to me with all this counters

Sorry for bad English.

orchid is on a distinguished road
    Thx for the reply!

Another question. I find very hard to deal with Elemental shaman/Discipine Priest. I find very difficult to deal with Double healing, Tremor Totem and costant manaburn/offensive dispel on my pally. Maybe this combo is only a Joke, but I have to know how to deal with that. There's something that I miss probably.

Vyrolan will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by orchid View Post
    Another question. I find very hard to deal with Elemental shaman/Discipine Priest. I find very difficult to deal with Double healing, Tremor Totem and costant manaburn/offensive dispel on my pally. Maybe this combo is only a Joke, but I have to know how to deal with that. There's something that I miss probably.
    If your pally just LOSes and cleanses, he can never ever die. You should just run as many dots on both targets as you can...just wear them down. If the elemental is having to offheal, he's not doing any damage and is using mana very quickly. Your pally can destroy tremors with his uber-range judgement...just coordinate with him so he judges tremor mid-cast of fear. Spell lock nature (so Lightning Bolt or Chain Lightning) on the shaman if you need to prevent damage...don't spell lock Lava Burst.

Just run dots as much as you can on both of them...they have no decurse, so you can keep Tongues on either of them if you need to slow them down. Don't let your haunt get grounded as that is the best damage reduction they can do. You should wear them down and eventually one or both of them is oom or just dies to the dots unable to heal fast enough. They should only ever kill someone if one of you gets caught in hex+fear and the other just stands there while the elemental turrets you...if you spell lock his nature or the CCed person trinkets or their kill target just LOSes it's fine. They have no way to hold you in LoS except the shaman's roots which the pally can cleanse/freedom and you can teleport out of LoS if your pally is stuck in CC and you don't have spell lock.

Chardo is on a distinguished road
    would be interested in seeing some videos of this! searched but have found none and i know filovirus is a beast with this comp....so he midas well get off some of those vids lol