+ Reply to Thread

Werthkew is on a distinguished road

How To Use Focus Macros

I've searched and searched for help with this, and all I keep finding is how to create a focus macro or what it does. I know how to make one and what it does. I'm a little confused on the execution. Let me explain.

For example, let's say I'm targeted on a warrior and I've set a mage as my focus. I know the idea is if I'm bursting the warrior down I can use a focus macro to cyclone or silence the mage without switching off the warrior. Cool. Got it. But what if I suddenly decide I want to cyclone their resto shammy? If I was using a mouseover macro it would be simple. But with a focus macro, my cyclone is going to hit that mage unless I switch or clear my focus target, but that adds extra button pressing to an otherwise simple task.

This also makes me wonder, which spells do I make focus macros for? My cc abilities, right? Well I have four. So if I have a focus macro for solar beam, mass entanglement, entangle roots, and cyclone, and I wanna use solar beam on the mage, mass entanglement on the warrior, and cyclone on the shammy, then I need to constantly switch my focus target, at which point I wonder "How is that any different from just using no macros and simply switching my selected target?" I could go on, but as you can see I'm clearly a very confused noob who doesn't understand the actual application of focus macros. Please help! Thanks.

So, while waiting for a reply on this I've been doing my best to figure it out. Here's the conclusions I've come to.

1. It can only make sense to use a focus macro if you either a) also have a regular version of the same spell on your action bar to hit your main target with, or b) have a mod key (shift, alt, ctrl) in your focus macro that allows you to cast it on your focus or your main target depending your whether you are pressing the mod key when you hit the macro.

2. For this to be viable, you must be using keybinds or macros to switch your focus targets (even using the "right-click to focus" available in the Gladius addon seems a little too cumbersome compared to a comfortable keybind).

Am I on the right track here? How do you guys use your focus macros? How do you switch focus or main target? Which spells do you use focus macros for and which ones do you not use them for? Should every CC spell I have use a focus macro, or just a couple of key ones like Cyclone and Solar Beam? Any help is truly appreciated.

Vazlexxia is on a distinguished road
    Hey bro !
    I mainly use like on my warrior a /focus arena1 macro on my charge and i have 2 others with ofc /focus arena2 and /focus arena3 and i just switch it on my action bar charge slot depending on where the ennemy healer is (1;2 or 3).
    It allows me to always have my focus set on the ennemy healer to use my Shift-F Focus stormbolt or Focus Charge usable as i use charge a lot so even if the ennemy healer uses some shadowmeld abilities i often insta set it of focus back passively.

Hope this could help or fit your gamestyle !

Quote Originally Posted by Vazlexxia View Post
    Hey bro !
    I mainly use like on my warrior a /focus arena1 macro on my charge and i have 2 others with ofc /focus arena2 and /focus arena3 and i just switch it on my action bar charge slot depending on where the ennemy healer is (1;2 or 3).
    It allows me to always have my focus set on the ennemy healer to use my Shift-F Focus stormbolt or Focus Charge usable as i use charge a lot so even if the ennemy healer uses some shadowmeld abilities i often insta set it of focus back passively.

Hope this could help or fit your gamestyle !
    Thanks for your input! So, my question for you is this. Let's say you start a 3v3 and the healer is arena1, so you then put your /focus arena1 Charge macro on your action bar. Does that mean you never find yourself in a situation where you want to charge either of the other two players? If you did want to, how do you accomplish this? Is there a second regular charge spell on your action bar?

yorkfire is on a distinguished road
    Most players use the shift, alt or ctrl modifiers to do this. You can look at the keybinds that the contributors on this site use as well. I use focus only to see what my focus target is casting, but I use a macro to target all 3 arena targets. For instance I use G for my cyclone which can be used for any target. Holding shift+g targets arena1, ctrl+g arena2 and alt+g arena3.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkfire View Post
    Most players use the shift, alt or ctrl modifiers to do this. You can look at the keybinds that the contributors on this site use as well. I use focus only to see what my focus target is casting, but I use a macro to target all 3 arena targets. For instance I use G for my cyclone which can be used for any target. Holding shift+g targets arena1, ctrl+g arena2 and alt+g arena3.
    Awesome, thanks for the advice and the examples!

Vazlexxia is on a distinguished road
    I mostly Click on nameplates when i want to charge something that is not the healer as warrior it depends if you are comfortable with Ctrl / Alt (I can't hit this two buttons when having my hand placed for WAD without feeling a tension in my hand) !

I use focus macros for players i want to keep kicks and cc on, healers mainly. Think of you want to focus them and keep an eye on them.

Arena 1, 2, 3 i use too so i dont have to change my focus target. Or i dont have to click them but can still control them without changing my target.

I play sham so i keep my focus kick macro on healer.
    /cast [@focus] spellname

I also have arena 1, 2, 3 kick and hex in case i want to kick someone other than my focus or hex them without changing my heal target. Here's how to make arena 1, 2, 3 macros

For arena 1 which will be the top player on the enemy team.
    /cast [@arena1] spellname

Just make them for 2 and 3 as well.

Amaya is on a distinguished road
    I stopped using @focus macros long time ago, I personally found them kinda harsh...

I just set/clear focus with wheel mouse (that let me monitor, easily abilities being casted by my focus) and use modifiers macros like this one I posted here from my :onk

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@mouseover, exist, harm] [nomod, @target] [mod:shift, @arena1] [mod:alt, @arena2] [mod:ctrl, @arena3] [] Paralysis
    It's a simple one-liner macro that cast something on mouseover (just in case that's something that i need to cast on a pet, or a teammate), then if i press no mod, on my target, or casting in Arena 1-2-3 if i press a modifier.

I'm not super pro, but i'm kinda hardcore...
    ...imho, it's the faster/easier way.

The only thing that make it clunky it's that it's not usefull for PvE, because you'll need to mouseover every time coz lack of @focus...
    ...but, if you're not a PvE'r, it's a jack of all trades :P