+ Reply to Thread

Donker is on a distinguished road

Help with destro spec for arena comps

So I plan on playing frost dk/destro/heal or ele/destro/heal. I was wondering what talent changes and different ways I should approach each comp. With a dk the conflag roots and with a ele the chaos bolt fissure?
    Ty!
    Last edited by Donker; 12-01-2017 at 03:18 PM.

so my understanding is with ele/destro/healer (or shadowplay) I spec for a bursty chaos bolt build.
    soul harvest, focused chaos and fel fissure. more of a fear and pew pew team

and then with shadowcleave(other comps?) ill spec for spread damage/fire build
    fire and brimstone, cremation, entrenched flames/fel fissure(?). just run for my life and hope the dk gets a kill.

Thugzbunnyx is on a distinguished road
    You will want to change between root/fel fissure based on the comp you are facing. I find root stronger when you have a consistent target to keep immobile that is training you or your healer. As for fel fissure, it can come in handy when your kill target is easily put in a stun within your fel fissure radius. Being that it is only 5 yards, you will need to communicate with your team when bolts are going off to make the most of it.

I played Dk/destro up until 2.2k in legion season 5 and then ele/destro(LSD/LSX) up until 2.4k.

With those comps you will want to run with a Resto Shaman in Dk/destro and a Rdruid in LSD. In addition, which I wish I would have done sooner, is to switch to Demonolgy for LSD. The cc potential and survivability make it much easier to setup kills and for your Rdruid to keep up. The videos on here do a great job of explaining damage and stun rotation to maximize damage and etc. while playing LSD.

I agree that, because of the current meta the cremation FnB build is strong in vast majority of games in both comps, however I've yet to play either comp against certain teams that I haven't made use of Bolt spec in both team comps.

When playing cremation FnB you are capable of doing incredible damage, so focus on proper use of your conflag and keeping up Rain of Fire on at least 2 other players. When you can get full channel demonfire off go for it and you will be surprised by the pressure you can create. Combined with the dk's cleave you should be able to put a lot of stress on their healer causing him to oom. Have your DK grip the healer in and you should be able to finish the game quickly from there. Also, when playing shadowplay(spriest lock rsham) the spriest will be the focus normally, so stick with crematon FnB and do insane cleave damage into the double melee training your priest.

As for surviving the onslaught of double melee, make sure you are doing damage not just kiting the enemy. Make use of havoc/mortal coil during important CDS such as heroism, incarn, or pillar of frost. You will also have your root, infernal stun, root/cap totem from the shaman, and the dk grip early on. When surviving and playing the spec, don't worry about casting Bolt unless the switch off of you, you will find they will really only interrupt your fear, which leaves you free to cast fire spells. In my experience the only comp that you will not be the focus and have to play this way is when you play shadowplay (spriest lock rsham), so just use your cc to peel the spriest when needed.

Now for bolt spec, depending on the comp you are facing you can use either conflag root or fel fissure. For example, playing against Owlplay (spriest, boomkin, healer) fel fissure works great, because you can easily keep the shadow priest immobile, combine that with fel fissure + curse of fragility and you will almost guarantee a kill if the necessary cc is on healer. Another example, when playing against Thundercleave(Ele/Warr/Healer) i play with bolt spec, but instead of playing with fel fissure i run with conflag root. In this situation you will be able to mitigate the warr's damage by rooting off of you or your healer, and do to how slippery ele can be, you can root him when he attempts to kite or pillar. When playing bolt spec i find using havoc/coil to be much more of an offense tool to stop enemy damage and cc, so it is best to use it when you see fit since you won't have to worry about double melee nuking you. Lastly, when you play bolt spec, make sure you are taking soul harvest, pop it during a period that you can curse of fragility(if taken) + infernal + cast 2 bolts = insane pressure.

I hope this helps,
    Thugz

thank you thug, that was very detailed.

Mystic is on a distinguished road
    From what I can tell from speaking to Wallirikz, you can pretty much just keep the AoE spread pressure build regardless of the comp you're playing.