+ Reply to Thread

Platane is on a distinguished road

Struggle as healer

Hi,
    Really hard games yesterday at low CR (around 1700 mmr). My friend UH (2k3 xp on main pala) and me as Rdrood (1k9 xp last season, I know it's not good, but it's not 1k4 neither) really struggle to survive.
    We are both 420 ilvl, 250 k HP, we believed that it was a quiet average gear but we were surprised to see only 290-320k hp people....
    Is it only a gear matter ?
    I usually play offensiv in feral affinity but I had the feeling yesterday that I did nothing and exposed myself to deadly swap.
    Should I consider to just stay 40m and healbot, just push for bash clone every 45 sec and play safer until we have good gear (I hate pve so it will be 430-445 ilvl max for me...) ?
    What are best essences to healbot (I can drink often, mana is rarely a matter) ?? I tried the one who can heal with the overheal stored, but was'nt enjoyed, it's just around 60-70k hp heal, not that much...

Feel really frustrated...

Zenzy is on a distinguished road
    Heya!

I have around the same gear as you on my resto druid and i can understand what you mean exactly, however i can still play offensive into certain comps, it's pretty much the same as last season (before the gear inflation hit as hard) It's just about choosing your battles and knowing when you CAN be offensive, for example if a rogue just kidneyed your DK Mate, for 20seconds you can go in freely knowing the ROGUE him self has no way of locking you down (without wasting his vanish for no reason) and in the downtime of the rogue not having kidney shot, you can run in and do some damage. This thought process can be applied to every single class with every ability.

As for your essences, i'd suggest using conflict and strife has major and seed of eonar has minor, i asked a few rdruids and they all said something similar to this and some different things depending on match up. This will give you the overgrowth talent, freeing up a Pvp talent slot for you to pick something else, thorns / master shapeshifter / focused growth / clone / are all good picks.

As for your gear at the minute 435 is around average i'd say, the most important thing is the azerite pieces and trinkets, those pieces you'll see the biggest damage increases with, the rest of the gear just comes naturally.

Tldr, Choose your battles, know when you can be offensive and into what comps, and in certain games you can have moments where you can do damage but then have to be defensive for 30-40 seconds while you recover or they have CD's up / coming up. Some games yes you have to max range and play defensive, it's just about knowing WHEN exactly to do so Hope i could help!

Thank you Zenzy

Quote Originally Posted by Zenzy View Post
    Heya!

I have around the same gear as you on my resto druid and i can understand what you mean exactly, however i can still play offensive into certain comps, it's pretty much the same as last season (before the gear inflation hit as hard) It's just about choosing your battles and knowing when you CAN be offensive, for example if a rogue just kidneyed your DK Mate, for 20seconds you can go in freely knowing the ROGUE him self has no way of locking you down
    Yeah, and I track Kidney with Omnibar too, BUT ! The matter actually is an 29 k + hp rogue (430+ ilvl I guess...) with good trinkets / essences nuke my UH so hard, I can't just hot him and go dps if I don't have bareskin up... I have to hardcast Regrowth

Maybe with my UH going have more stuff, we can play dampening with me only watching about mana... But it's not fun has niking people in feral affinity

Zenzy is on a distinguished road
    I agree, it's not as fun, however playing like hat into rogues that know what they are doing, is just putting your self into a situation where you'll die.

However your dk shouldn't be really dying before dampening, since he has access to death strike, which early game heals for A LOT and can save you a lot of mana in the proccess since it's pretty much free healing from the DK and you don't have to spend any mana!

Hard casting regrowth is anti productive, since it really doesnt heal for anything, without soul of the forest, and you should rely on hots and swiftmend > regrowth to top him fast without having to spam regrowths and waste all of your mana bar.

Recently there was a video about a subscriber breakdown, i advice you to watch that. Xot makes a lot of great points in that video which can help resto druid players learn a lot!

Hope i could help

Quote Originally Posted by Zenzy View Post
    Hard casting regrowth is anti productive, since it really doesnt heal for anything, without soul of the forest, and you should rely on hots and swiftmend > regrowth to top him fast without having to spam regrowths and waste all of your mana bar.

Recently there was a video about a subscriber breakdown, i advice you to watch that. Xot makes a lot of great points in that video which can help resto druid players learn a lot!

Hope i could help
    Thank you for answer.
    Off course I hot mate and Regrowth only after full hot mate BUT, in fact, with difference of gear and a few dampening + the MS of Sin Rogue, hot heal nothing and I have to spam Regrowth (if possible off course after a SoF) if want to stabilize my mate...
    We know that probably a gear matter, but this make Bfa really unpleasant !

See the video, really interesting, and reconforting (think I m a bit better than the guy), but having the same problem: too greedy, sometimes loosing a game because I pushed in feral...

rfwarrior is on a distinguished road
    Hi Platane,

I feel your pain. All last season I worked on being more aggressive, adding damage, and this season I tend to get punished for it.
    I'm about 426 ilevel and sitting at about 1800 mmr. It is amazing how many 300k+ teams we meet, some of them are so bad you've got to think it's their first steps in arena. They don't do anything but tunnel and pve - no kicks, no peels, just damage. Generally we beat those teams. Depressing to see how far they get due to gear.

If we meet a team with 300+k gear with a bit of pvp knowledge we will lose - generally they don't blow us away, which is encouraging, means we should do better when geared.

But - weirdly I feel like i'm improving more. I'm doing stuff that I never did before because I really have to to survive.
    Little things that i've known about for years, but always thought about doing too late. e.g travel form leaping up on to the raised areas on Tiger's peak, when a melee is on me (forcing them to go the long way round) or yesterday I jumped down from Blades edge mountain while kiting a DH, then human formed leapt back to my partner on the edge.(the last time I tried something like that was when you put mushrooms down, and could target them and jump to them). Tiny little things, but they can buy recovering time.

I think playing well all game then dying due to one mistake really lets you focus on what got you killed. e.g one game yesterday I was against a ret/healer.
    Was kiting the ret all game. he could barely touch me. Then I decided to go out and bash him in place for my lock to bolt. Only - I didn't have trinket, and he had bubble (and wings apparently and hoj). Yep. you guessed it. I bashed, he bubbled, hojed and wingsed and blew me up. Lesson learned

Quote Originally Posted by rfwarrior View Post
    Hi Platane,

I feel your pain. All last season I worked on being more aggressive, adding damage, and this season I tend to get punished for it.
    I'm about 426 ilevel and sitting at about 1800 mmr. It is amazing how many 300k+ teams we meet, some of them are so bad you've got to think it's their first steps in arena. They don't do anything but tunnel and pve - no kicks, no peels, just damage. Generally we beat those teams. Depressing to see how far they get due to gear.

If we meet a team with 300+k gear with a bit of pvp knowledge we will lose - generally they don't blow us away, which is encouraging, means we should do better when geared.

But - weirdly I feel like i'm improving more. I'm doing stuff that I never did before because I really have to to survive.
    Little things that i've known about for years, but always thought about doing too late. e.g travel form leaping up on to the raised areas on Tiger's peak, when a melee is on me (forcing them to go the long way round) or yesterday I jumped down from Blades edge mountain while kiting a DH, then human formed leapt back to my partner on the edge.(the last time I tried something like that was when you put mushrooms down, and could target them and jump to them). Tiny little things, but they can buy recovering time.

I think playing well all game then dying due to one mistake really lets you focus on what got you killed. e.g one game yesterday I was against a ret/healer.
    Was kiting the ret all game. he could barely touch me. Then I decided to go out and bash him in place for my lock to bolt. Only - I didn't have trinket, and he had bubble (and wings apparently and hoj). Yep. you guessed it. I bashed, he bubbled, hojed and wingsed and blew me up. Lesson learned
    100% agree with all your post.
    I try new tricks as one you described, but struggling to push...
    The thing I have to do: don't enjoy with reroll, just focus on one (maybe two...) characters and go MM+... sadly because I hate it

Hi Rfwarrior !
    Did you succeed to push forward ?
    I did't have time last weeks to grind gear so I'm still around 425 ilvl and the game is boring as Rdrood, with a little gear like this against 330k guys I have to play 40m, just spam heal and try to survive or win mana war and I did nt push in cat form anymore...
    So I let my druid and try a little my DisciPriest: I 'm trained and dye like a shit most of the games (my priest is 408 ilvl...) but sometimes I have very agressiv fun games and enjoy it
    I ll consider tu push when I'll have time to do some MM+ to gear my Rdrood...

Hi Platane,

I'm still in the same boat. I haven't done many mythics. I paid gold for a mythic 10 boost on my priest and my warlock, didn't do it on my druid but will do this week.

I am 428-430 ilevel on druid and still get blown up if i make a mistake, or if I get caught in a stun without a trinket. My playstyle, like yours is very passive now.

I did try disc - ilevel 423. Played with a couple of LFG people - and both of them alt-f4ed after a few losses. Sucked.

Playing my warlock is a different matter. 416 item level and can do damage and although not as tanky as i should be take a hit or two.

I am going to run mythics on my druid. Just no alternative. but I don't have a lot of time. And my arena partner is now playing more with other folks and just not about when i'm on so needing new partners.

I am considering quitting more though which is a shame, as i do still have fun occasionally.

Just a quick update. I still haven't been spamming mythic + as I intended to, but my gear level is now at about 432/433, still far from optimal with regard to stats.

I've been playing alts a lot as my main arena partner isn't playing as much (DH) , but we got a session last night and went up in rating.

I'm actually running a very defensive spec overall - guardian affinity, conflict and strife essence, safeguard trinket and battlemaster. Trying to stay max range, and maybe throw out the odd clone here and there. We climbed to above 1900 rating last night - which feels good as I only got to 2k last season just after the rankings were cut off.

Most comps feel beatable, unless we face rogue/disc or hpal and warlock/healer. Lose most games to those. I am getting better at being trained by rogues though.

Still learning new stuff, so quite happy overall - but I must get some mythics under my belt.