+ Reply to Thread

New player vision and focus fixation

Hy Guys,
    I have just came back to WoW to smash some skulls with WindWalker Monk, I prepared my character and few recommended addons (BTW thx for OmniBar video) and kicked like 50 Arenas with my m8. My problem is that whenever I enter arena and start exchange hits i get so focused on my actions that I literally cannot see anything else than 4 cm radius circle in the middle of the screen, I do not check my healer position, cooldowns, overall situation. To simplify, I am not able to read the game at all even since I am rather well theoretically prepared

It is funny since I played a hell lot of games in the past and I have never encountered something like this, I start to wonder whether I am not to old for this S#!- (30 on the clock).

I tried to fix this situation and took som steps.
    • I disabled most things I were not able to see anyway to not distract me and left just Gladius and Raid window. From this point I am trying to shift my attention to those windows from time to time. I hope in time I will have habit of doing so and I will be able to turn more gadgets on
    • I set few visual effects in WeakAura to notify me about my most crucial cooldowns since It is easier to track them than skillbar
    • I am trying to constantly communicate what am I doing to my partner. Sice I tended to be silent in crucial moments becouse of my focus fixation I figured out that by telling him about every single action I do will be able to get used to it and stop brain freeze.

Perhaps some of you also encountered this issue, were you able to overcome it?
    How did you handled this situation?

I wish you all great day and cant wait to read your replies

Platane is on a distinguished road
    Hi,
    My mates and I are all around 40 age and we speak about tunnel vision.

To help:
    - addons, giving informations in the center of the screen. You mentionned it, Gladius, weakauras to track CD etc...
    - GladiatorSA... I know it s a bit a little shame, but I struggle to play without the voice saying "wake up buddy, the mage is about to sheep you, do something" ^^
    - play a slower spec: as melee, you are always pushing a bind. With a caster, I force myself to use the casting time to look around, think about my position, drop an eye on gladius etc... Playing most of the time a healer, when you are at 40m range, you have the time to see
    - play play and play: most of what you do will be reflex and don't have to think about, so you can concetrate on other things

rfwarrior is on a distinguished road
    Communication is a two way process. Have your healer tell you when he is in CC, this allows you to make decisions on whether you need to use a defensive.

Have your raid profile show your health. I've played healer for ages, but when stepping in to arena as a dps, I didn't have raid frames, and wasn't aware that a DK had stacked up huge amounts of necrotics on me, so I enabled raid frames. Move them from the default position, closer to the centre. Ensure you can see what's going on but that you don't have to look far to see your raid frame.

I'm close to 50 - and have hit 2k for the first time since 2014, which i never ever thought I could.

Also some great advice I had from Zenzy - spam queue. Play and play and play. 50 arenas isn't all that much. It's like learning to drive, at first you are concentrating on changing gear, steering, watching the road, and changing gears and it's overwhelming. After driving for a while it's second nature.

Zenzy is on a distinguished road
    Heya!

I have this problem too when Im learning a new class, It just means Im not comfortable with my keybindings yet, and thew way i force my self to become comfortable is to have a very simplistic UI and to hide my keys without CD's and since i physically cant look at those abilities it forces me to remember the keybind faster and look at whats happening in the game more often

This is how my UI looks: https://i.imgur.com/VlHMkCd.jpg - As you'll notice you wont see MANY abilities, that's because when i was first learning priest i did this and it forced me to learn that i should focus on the entire game!

Putting your focus on your entire screen will help too try to look at the game as a whole and not just your character, Try to ignore your character its self and just focus on the rest of the screen, there's a lot of information to be gathered when you're looking at your entire screen, like your omni bar, your sarena / gladius etc

As rfwarrior said, Communication is a two way process, if you're both speaking you'll generally have a better understanding on whats happening during the game.

I've played with some people that have sort of this problem too, i tell them to relax / chill out, and try to play the game, since if you're only focusing on 4cm of your character and your abilities it's most likely that you're panicking a lot and not confident in what you're doing and about to do. Try not to think about it too much.

My biggest piece of advice is the thing i mentioned first. Maybe it doesn't apply to your class as much as mine since i have a lot of abilities without Cd's or much of a cost, but i found it helped me learn what to do faster!

Platane is on a distinguished road
    Zenzy, still so precious affixe, thanks a lot !
    On your UI I noticed your camera Is really far, I play with 25 "click" from 1rst person view. You ll probably have a good vision Of the entire arena but can you see auras and animation with a so small character ?

Zenzy is on a distinguished road
    Sorry for the slow reply, Yes i have no problem at all seeing animations etc, Having my camera zoomed out so far helps me see things that i wouldnt usually see if i was so zoomed in. For arena play its overall better to be somewhat zooned out!