+ Reply to Thread

mobiusnm

Bgs

I mainly arena but my guild a lot of rbgs.

Fire is always nice, but I canít help but feel like fire is less optimal in bgs.

I see the ladder rather empty in mages for rbgs, but am wondering what spec good mages run to make the most out of it.

Zenzy is on a distinguished road
    Most people in Rbg i'd think would play frost just to slow the enemy team and keep them away from their objective.
    For example in Silvershard mines people make use of frost mages to slow a mass amount of people at once to stop them getting into the circle to capture the cart.

However Fire is fine just to stand in the back line and press Greater Pyroblast but that's your only use, there's not much else you can do outside of the normal mage stuff (Nova / Sheep / Spellsteal / Counterspell - Etc)

~~~~~~~~

However if you just mean in random battlegrounds and not Rbg's (rated battlegrounds) Then any spec can be useful, even arcane!
    Last edited by Zenzy; 09-09-2019 at 04:43 AM.

mobiusnm
    Thanks!

Am having some fun with splitting ice and glacial spike. Bit of a faster nuke than greater pyro with some more versatility to the gameplay.

Xot is on a distinguished road
    Just to expand on this, generally as mage you're going to have 2 major roles, and it's vital that you are able to play both fire and frost to a decent level if you wan't to shine in RBG's.

Frost should be played whenever you are required to defend in your team comp, teams are required to have 2 defenders for most maps and the only classes capable of doing this safely are mages and rogues so unless your team has two rogues you'll need to defend on Arathi basin and Eye of the Storm and even some cases on Deepwind gorge (as a rogue is better to slow the cart runner). Frost is needed as you have a pet and frozen orb to spin bases.

The only other time you should be playing frost is on Flag maps so Twin peaks and Warsong Gulch, on these maps your job should be to stay in defence with your teams flag carrier, looking to slow the opponents and make them have a incredibly hard job to connect to your flag carrier.

Silvershard mines is also a tricky one, it depends on how you want to play the map, if you wish to play more objective centric looking to go for offcarts as your win condition you should be frost and again just looking to slow and cc opponents moving in between carts.

Now for team fighting you should ALWAYS be fire, fire is extremely strong and obnoxious in teamfights in rated battlegrounds, solely down to greater pyroblast, when paired with a destruction warlock or even a shadow priest on your team it makes it very difficult for the enemy team to stop all of you at once and with one greater going off often meaning the demise of the enemy it lands on if your team connects it's extremely strong.

So i recommend going fire for Gilneas, temple of kotmogu and seething shore, and then any map you are not required to defend on so arathi basin, eye of the storm or deepwind gorge.