+ Reply to Thread

Lairinus is on a distinguished road

Resto Shaman - Survivability vs Assassination and Arena Step 3 guide?

Hey all,

I noticed that there's a Gladiators part 1 and 2 video for Rshaman, but not a part 3. Is this intentional or is part 3 still being created?

Also... I'm sitting at 411 item level and 1750 MMR. Games are rough. I seem to hold my own against everything except for Assassination rogues though. Usually I die if I try faking twice against a rogue and he doesn't bite, but only after a kidney with or without vendetta.

I save trinket and wall for a kidney with vendetta, but usually after kidneys I'm forced to trade Ascendance and HTT, Link, or Earthern Shield and SWG. Sometimes it's laughable and I need to trade Link and Ascendance if I get kicked and have no other way of healing (not even topping) myself.

1. Is it ever worth it to stop faking against rogues? Should I just bite the bullet and trade a CD at higher health, or keep faking until low health?
    2. Is ghost wolf spec decent against assassination rogues?
    3. How should I trade when facing an assassination rogue?

Keep in mind that after 4, maybe 5 kidneys I'm usually dead without being babysat by my partner. Even with being babysat, getting kicked between kidneys is awful and about 40% of the time they don't seem to bite. By that point dampening sets in and I find myself needing wall before their next vendetta, and then it gets closed out.

Zenzy is on a distinguished road
    Heya!

First thing i see is your 411 item level at 1800. Which isn't that bad at all!
    My first suggestion for you is to grind some more gear. Having 411 compared to having something like 435 will feel like a whole new game. Your healing will go UP substantially; Also whilst you have this item level i can already tell you have 390 or 420 azerite. which is a HUGE downgrade from 445, your ghost wolf healing will be REALLY low in comparison!

Answered as numbered:

1. I play with an assa rogue a LOT in 2's and it feels like most rshamans never cast, so i put this down to you NOT having 445 pack spirit traits, meaning you'll heal nothing in ghost wolf form. However when they do cast, they rarely waste time faking, they just tank the kick at high hp so they can freely cast later on, being kicked on low hp forces you to use ascendance to save your self, since you can use this while kicked!
    Also i THINK you can use your wall while kicked. So if you notice the rogue has kidney, and you get kicked, you can use your wall and hopefully pre-wall his kidney, which will help you a lot!

2. Yes very much, again it' your gear that you're doubting this!

3. Try to only wall his vendetta. Try to use earthern wall totem before kidney comes back on CD. So he's forced to wait another 15 sec or so before he's able to get a worth while kidney off. Try to save Ascendance for when you're REALLY low hp. Alternatively you can use it at reletively high hp around 40-50% so you're not in too much trouble for the incoming kidney shot!

Also part 3 of the resto shaman guide is coming soon! It's coming out VERY soon

Lairinus is on a distinguished road
    I appreciate your answers! I'm glad that I'm mostly trading well... just need to work on allowing myself to get kicked high. Also looking forward to part 3!

Most teams I fight are geared at least 430+ and I was kind of hoping for the "you're bad!" response, but you confirmed my fear that it's coming down to (at least partially) my gear.

Oh well, thanks again!

I totally understand you Lairinus. I play at 2200mmr with ilvl 441 and only 2/3 pack spirit traits.
    If I do one mistake we die. If you use the trinket for a full kidney your teammate will die because of a full blind + re-sap + maybe follow up cc from the mate.
    Against rogues it feels like if you are able to anticipate 100% of the game you have a little chance to win; if you do one mistake the game is over.
    I play with a UH DK and everyone knows about how speedy they are.. So he needs near to every grip / stun to get uptime on the enemy heal.
    Safing grip for the kidney is a way, but dont really helps because of the rogues backstep.
    I need to get more focus on when will the next full kidney comes, playing around a pillar to get much uptime on my earthgrab totem into stun + hex..
    But sometimes I ask myself, on what shall i spend more attention.. my positioning, my life, my cds, teammates life, enemy cds, enemy casts - as a shaman heal, there is so much to do
    Do someone have tips on this? I guess, the correct interface / frame positions is the way.

Mystic is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Pridefinest View Post
    I totally understand you Lairinus. I play at 2200mmr with ilvl 441 and only 2/3 pack spirit traits.
    If I do one mistake we die. If you use the trinket for a full kidney your teammate will die because of a full blind + re-sap + maybe follow up cc from the mate.
    Against rogues it feels like if you are able to anticipate 100% of the game you have a little chance to win; if you do one mistake the game is over.
    I play with a UH DK and everyone knows about how speedy they are.. So he needs near to every grip / stun to get uptime on the enemy heal.
    Safing grip for the kidney is a way, but dont really helps because of the rogues backstep.
    I need to get more focus on when will the next full kidney comes, playing around a pillar to get much uptime on my earthgrab totem into stun + hex..
    But sometimes I ask myself, on what shall i spend more attention.. my positioning, my life, my cds, teammates life, enemy cds, enemy casts - as a shaman heal, there is so much to do
    Do someone have tips on this? I guess, the correct interface / frame positions is the way.
    Have you seen this guide? http://www.skill-capped.com/watch/11...r-every-class/

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    Yeah, several times.
    My question is specifically to other healers, how they have learned to quickly see the many different actions.
    I play around 2200mmr; so i'm not a total noob which need basic tips. I catch myself often that I do not watch on the omnibar because I'm to much fixated on the group hps, cast bars of the enemies (sArena-frames), or my own cds.
    Arena is theoretical so easy: Play def if your enmies have go's, play offensive if your enemies dont have cds.
    I guess that there are 10% of a little thing to get a really good player.. I want to get this next step and I would like to know how pro's get the step from 2,2 to 2,4+ / how did you prepared your brain to realise what happens know and what can happen next.
    Do you still look at your own actionbars?

I hope you get what I mean..

Heya!

I get what you mean, and im gonna be honest with you, it took me around 2000 games from 2.2-2.4. However i'm just a really slow learner. I'd like to put that out there as sometimes its just a learning curve and it takes many many games.

On the other hand your UI can be a huge factor of this. Now on my priest i almost NEVER look at my bars as i know where everything is in my head and i have a good general idea about the CD's

https://i.imgur.com/wbqGbRK.jpg
    Something that helped me to do this. Originally i copied drainer. He had everything without a CD hidden. This helped me focus more on whats happening on the game, there's less things on my screen doing absolutely nothing.

A tip i can give you is get something like weakauras for important buffs and such, things that need to be up / things that should be up. I saw above you're an rsham, so things like earth shield etc etc.

Back to your question. You asked how we learnt what can happen and what will happen next, i learnt a lot about different classes. A small random example of this is (AS A PRIEST POV) A warrior just used charge and heroic leap. - He has no more mobility - I can knock him away without him touching me for a bit -
    This might be an unrelated example but i'm sure you can generalise what I'm saying here. I learnt what other classes can do and SHOULD do, this helped me know what people do.

Something totally unrelated, this might be a bad habbit to have, however i think it helped me a lot and right now it helps my team mates know whats going on in the game. If you're ever on voice with your team mate, try and call EVERYTHING you see, it helps your awareness beyond belief, because sometimes you'll notice something that you wouldnt of before. Like " The DH just trinket AND blured!? - Ok we can kill him next go! " and even going to the extreme of calling out your own globals when you feel necessary. I'm not entirely sure what you can call out as rsham but i know it helps me a lot when playing :P

I hope i didnt rant too much and give you too much random information, but i see where you're coming from as when i first start playing other healers i have this happen too sometimes, but the main thing i think is my UI helps me get over this really fast as there's nothing clogging my screen up and i can focus on game play etc!

Hope i could help

Hi Zenzy, thank you for answer!
    I started bfa also as a Disc, reached 2k before the shield nerf and rerolled than to rshaman. I also started with the priest To create simple WAs e.g. Vendetta/icy veins of my mates to know when I have to pop dark archangel
    I also have one Single WA with missing earthshield on my shaman.
    On my priest, I also played without my action bars as u said and I really got more attention on what happened around me, because 1 eye catcher was left. Need to try this also on my shaman, maybe thats the way to improve my positioning + enemy cds Focus.
    Speaking while playing is also a Good idea. Im watching many streamer which are telling every single spell they use.

I think we do have somethings in common
    Could you maybe show your Arena Interface too?

One last question I hope: are you watching More on the Enemy nameplates or on the unitframes / arenaframes for CC Infos etc?

Hey,

To put it simply i just look at my screen, i have both enemy and friendly nameplates on. so i go off of that!

And here! https://i.imgur.com/oEpddID.jpg