+ Reply to Thread

Eeshen is on a distinguished road

Unholy versus Frost in PvP and other question

Can someone give a quick rundown of the major differences between the two specs in PvP?

I want to settle on one and level it up as I have never played a DK before.

Also, does one do well versus DH or rogue more so than the other? So tired of dying to those two classes in general and it seems no caster does well versus rogue or DH.

Thanks !

Zenzy is on a distinguished road
    Heya!

First of all.
    Unholy: This is a more slower paced melee, your damage comes quite slow, but can ramp up quite fast at the same time. What i mean by this is you need 2-3 globals BEFORE you can start doing damage, Outbreak > Festering strike > Necro strike > Other stuff.
    Also of course a big part of unholy is pet, a good unholy dk will have good pet management and can be VERY disruptive with pet stun and pet kick!

Where as Frost is a more RAW damage spec. It is very easily out healable because as frost you don't get the luxury of having Necrotic strike (Healing absorption)
    You need your enemies to be stacked at all times, which is a huge part of frost as one of your biggest hitters is something called Chill Streak which does a huge amount of damage but requires multiple targets to keep bouncing. So in something like 2v2, frost is a bad spec because there's no real world where your enemies will always be stacked for you!

-
    Dk does ok/ISH into rogue as you have access to death strike and AMS and other such defensive's to negate their huge damage.
    I wouldn't say the same about DH though unfortunately. You do have chains of ice to slow down he game a little bit, however their mobility kit is too big for this to matter AS much as say a warrior for example.
    But keep in mind, there's some things you can do as a DK to ignore some of the DH mechanics that give other classes a hard time. I've been messing around with a talent called clawing shadows which deals shadow damage, meaining it cant be dodged by something like blade dance and it's ranged! So even if they're kiting you you can still do some damage.

The main difference between frost and unholy is i think frost is more oriented towards 3v3 and less towards 2v2, and unholy is both.
    Secondly frost is a more fast paced gameplay where as unholy is a slower paced game play!

hope i could give you some insight on the matter!

Eeshen is on a distinguished road
    Thanks Zenzy !
    I've always enjoyed DoT classes but the ones I like (Boomie, Aff Lock) get destroyed versus any melee, so looking for other options.

Also, seems that when I watch Blizz arena finals, they always seem to go for the DK, is that because they are considered squishy?

Mystic is on a distinguished road
    DKs are SUPER tanky because of death strike. However once you get into deep dampening and death strike isn't as potent it's much easier to kill them. An average ladder game won't last nearly as long as some of the TR games though.