+ Reply to Thread

Spardigan

Mage / Rogue strat help

Hey!

1860cr mage running with my rogue buddy. My armory here. The rogue is similarly geared but has no gushing wounds. These are alts set to be mains in Shadowlands.

Healer comps tend to give us a bit of issue because we don't know if we're being held back by gear or strat. Unless it's a warrior, rogue tends to sap the dps so I can get some gpys and then saps the healer when the first one connects. That's a standard opener for us. Should we change this up?

If it's an Rdruid, I take klepto. Open on dps, hard switch to druid when he's out and klepto overgrowth. Works about 50% of the time. The other 50% I forgot to take klepto so hopefully this is the strat that works the best.

Everything else is a coin toss and we haven't found anything concrete to work with. Should we poly dps when we get defensives? Switch to pally when they sac? Do we run from pain supp and bubble? I guess I'm asking what the markers are for us trying to get a successful reset.

Thank you!

Mystic is on a distinguished road
    It definitely sounds like you're on the right track as you're asking all of the right questions.

1) Your gear is far from ideal as your versatility is incredibly low, if your rogue has similar gear especially with no corruption then it's definitely a problem
    2) Healer dps should be your hardest matchup and is practically unwinnable when both teams play perfect (which is why you don't see rogue mage at the top of the 2s ladder)
    3) Starting with sap on the dps and then swapping it to the healer after you cast a greater pyroblast is the perfect opener (if you're able to do it)
    4) Swapping onto resto druids with klepto is fine, but you're better off forcing their trinket first with blind, and yes you should ALWAYS play klepto into druids
    5) Trying to reset the game will pretty much always work if your favor if you're able to do it without using up a bunch of defensive cooldowns
    6) Swapping to paladins on hand of sacrifice is great, as long as you actually have a stun and a way to stop the dps from killing you while doing it

I suggest watching this guide if you haven't already done so: http://www.skill-capped.com/watch/12...mage-2v2-guide

Spardigan
    I'll check out that video. Thanks so much!

Yeah, I have a vers set that's 29% haste and 20% vers but I saw most mages were running like 50% vers. Opted to try a cheesy haste build but I'll stick with my vers set.

It's a really fun comp. I ran dh / pal up to 2050 and that was just a pain train. This comp requires me to think and it's not what I'm used to. Are there any good generic caster videos you recommend? I'm sure there are basic things I'm not doing that would help me improve.

This covers cc: http://www.skill-capped.com/watch/12...e-clean-setups
    This covers damage: http://www.skill-capped.com/watch/12...-in-one-second

Both should help a lot along with the rogue mage 2s guide I linked.

Spardigan
    You're awesome. Thanks again!

Spardigan
    One more thing but aimed more towards 3s:

Gpy or quick combustion build? I can get my haste to a static 47% with 9% vers. My gpy cast goes down to about 1.8 / 2 seconds. Or I stick with the 29% haste 20% vers. With that I'll poly heals and just combust. That usually gets a trinket. Spam fireball and wait 20 seconds. If we didn't get defensives I'll poly heals, claw and pop a little bit. Once combust is up and trinket is down I'll poly heals and combust, blood fury, fb pb spam, hyperthread, fb pb spam and that gets the kill.

If it's gpy build, am I just spamming it and polys? do I wait for procs that get the cast time down to 2 seconds before going in? Or just cast as often as possible and delete something?

You should basically always play a high versa build with short combust and only swap to greater pyro in 3s against teams that are training your rogue or healer in order to make them go for you. A great example of this is against jungle, where you need to take greater in order to pressure the jungle into targeting you instead of just training and quickly killing your rogue. The same concept would apply to melee cleaves that you find going for your healer. But either way, if you're playing rogue mage you should stick to the high versatility gearset and only swap to greater in those situations I mentioned. You only swap to haste gear when playing mage lock.

Spardigan
    So, in 3s I pugged from about 1850 to 2089 in a couple of nights because of all this advice so thank you. I noticed that there were some things higher people were doing by default that I had to catch on to. For example, switching to a pally hard on sac, monk on bubble, and rdruid the second they come out.

It might be a broad question, but are there any other seemingly basic things like this? Major differences between an 1800 pug 3s and a 2200 one? I realized around 2k people weren't just hard tunneling until a kill.

What you'll find as you try to go up in rating is that it becomes increasingly important to know who the right target is and what the flowchart is for getting towards your win condition. For example as you mentioned you can swap to a resto druid the moment they come out and just kill them at 2k. But, at higher ratings - you wouldn't do it this way. You'd likely build towards a point where you've forced their trinket and then win with one cc chain, assuming you've already forced trinkets on the dps.

It's less about making one swap to win and more about understanding how win conditions present themselves throughout a game - the higher you climb the more important it becomes to be aware of these windows and utilize them.