+ Reply to Thread

xstaci

CoA vs CoE and when to use it

Hey Guys,

I just had a question. I noticed that a lot of locks tend to use CoE vs CoA in arena. Currently I run Warlock/Druid and i wanted to know what are the advantages of either from your experience (aside from extra dmg etc) and when should we use them situationally?

airety

Re: CoA vs CoE and when to use it

In 2s, I use CoA. You could use CoE if you haven't maxed spell pen, but unless your druid is deep balance the damage bonus from CoE isn't worth it.

In 3s, CoE on the target and swap target, CoT on the other if it is a caster. A lot of abilities are considered magic and benefit from CoE (rogue poisons/envenom, hunter chimera shot/explosive shot, DK diseases/death coils, etc.)

xstaci

specifically, the druid is IS spec. last night we tried switching to CoE on teams where the druid could apply lots of pressure (healer/dps) and we had a lot of success. with IS, moonfire, wrath spam it seemed to make a huge difference. but i could see where vs double dps CoA, CoEx, or CoT would benefit more.

Any other high rated lock/druid's have any input? i see that Azael doesn't even run with CoA and is considered one of the best locks in the world.

airety

What do you mean by Azael doesn't run with CoA? If you mean improved CoA, then yeah- I don't either. My personal opinion is that CoA isn't a really huge contribution to my damage or utility, it's just something I can put up with a global that lasts a long time and adds some pressure. In my opinion, totally not worth speccing into because Haunt/UA/Corr do the heavy lifting. If you mean he doesn't use it... I haven't seen Azael play anything but 3s, which as I mentioned you don't really use CoA in (running RLS, CoE = delicious envenoms for your rogue.)

With your druid IS spec (I ran this last season for about 20 games) you should keep CoE up when your druid is applying pressure. I wouldn't switch for a simple insect swarm that may or may not be reapplied, but if my druid is in a position where he can IS, MF, and pump out a few wraths, I'd switch to CoE. I think it is personal preference to be honest beyond that. CoA with nothing up/1 dot from your druid, CoE if your druid is pouring into a target, whatever you want for that in between.

Pyrilus is an unknown quantity at this point

Airety is (again) completely right. As RLS I don't use CoA because CoE helps my rogue. And there are better talents to put points in than imp CoA for the most part.

As for CoE vs CoA with druids, I don't really see it having a huge effect either way. As single-target, it turns out that with full dots it comes out to about the same damage. But if your druid plays as a half-dpser, then by all means use CoE. I've been playing lock/druid a lot lately and my druid helps tremendously with damage when it matters. So sure, use it. But if you're really just trying to spread dots while pressured, CoA is probably the default since that's your only other instant dot besides Corr.