+ Reply to Thread

AKeskinen is on a distinguished road

Dealing with DKs

Hi all,

So, the season is out and running, and so am I, with my Holy Paladin partner. Playing as Affliction - Holy comp, it seems that whenever we meet a comp that has a DK and a healer of any kind, we seem to be facing at a disadvantage. Even a double DPS comp with DK and a burst class like Mage puts us on the defensive. It seems the DK alone is able to put out a lot of pressure.

Against other teams, even double DPS burst teams like Mage - Rogue or Rogue - Feral we are still able to win, although some games get really close and exiting.

Anyone have any useful tips? Any tactical insight that would help us to overcome this comp? We are playing at the 1600 MMR level as of this writing, with a good score of 25 - 3.

kingjames
    Here's a bit of general advice.
    1. Sometimes it's easier to go for the dks partner than the dk himself, mainly b/c dks have so many defensive melee/caster cds. A fully dotted target with a DC in coming with a hoj into a silence will kill most healers who have already used their oh shit buttons.

2. Minimize as much damage taken as possible. Use shadow ward when the dk does his Death coil shit or on Cd, whichever you feel more comfortable with. Keep Demon armor up when the DK is on you and not your partner. Finally, make sure your pet is in a safe place away from aoe damage - anything to keep your healer from wasting mana, which i doubt it'll come down to a mana battle but w/e.

3. Port poistion/kiting and usage is crucial. Try to wait for DG and keep Co Ex up at all times. If you have to you can silence a dk before he casts DG and keep him from using it (on a Z-aixs map ofc), buying you time to put pet on passive and Soul Harvest out of los if you're low on health.

None of this is a real strat as I havent played much arena so far this season. I managed to pull 2700 in 2s last season before I quit so I guess I can provide some type of info on playing against dks.

Hopefully Filo will respond to this. I'm sure he has a possible strat to beating dk teams and more information than I can provide.
    Last edited by kingjames; 12-22-2010 at 12:04 AM.

Filovirus is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by AKeskinen View Post
    Hi all,

So, the season is out and running, and so am I, with my Holy Paladin partner. Playing as Affliction - Holy comp, it seems that whenever we meet a comp that has a DK and a healer of any kind, we seem to be facing at a disadvantage. Even a double DPS comp with DK and a burst class like Mage puts us on the defensive. It seems the DK alone is able to put out a lot of pressure.

Against other teams, even double DPS burst teams like Mage - Rogue or Rogue - Feral we are still able to win, although some games get really close and exiting.

Anyone have any useful tips? Any tactical insight that would help us to overcome this comp? We are playing at the 1600 MMR level as of this writing, with a good score of 25 - 3.
    As Pally/Lock, dk/healer should be your easier points. Just need to be kiting the DK with Curse of Exhaustion and rolling full dots on him and the healer. At that point you can either go for a drain playstyle and drain mana the healer the majority of the game. You can also land a long CC chain on the healer and try to kill the DK. Basically your pally just can't get behind because of necrotic strike and strangulate.

Athlete and I played vs. a double dk team last night with crazy gear and... I would drop to like 20% in the strangulate on him. When the DK pops major cooldowns like strangulate you just need to port or try to turtle up until your healer can pick you up again.

Ex: If the dk strangs my healer and I am anticipating large burst on me, I will jump port or try to get away / healthstone if necessary.

Overall dk/healer is really easy to beat if you just play it safe.

Demilich
    I just versed a DK/RDruid as Aff/Hpal and we won quite easily. Pretty much what Filo said. We kept dots on both with Soul Swap, CoEx on the DK and drained the Druids mana. Inevitable victory.

Filovirus is an unknown quantity at this point
    I miss the DK teams of season 7 and 8 that would instantly leave when they saw Pally/Lock

AKeskinen is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the tips guys.

Took a closer look at the DK matchups I played tonight, and my biggest problem seems to be lack of damage. Despite having full DoTs on both targets and kiting around, the enemy healer can simply outheal through it, and to add to the insult, shaman healers simply dispel everything, including Unstable Affliction. They eat the Silence and don't even flinch.